Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Strad-O-Lin almost identical to mine

Default A Strad-O-Lin almost identical to mine

Looks to me like the only difference is no stairstep fretboard extension and the bridge is different.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOL like mine1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	203330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sol like mine 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	203331

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28496720378...&segname=11021

Have I mentioned how much I love mine?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

2. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Default Re: A Strad-O-Lin almost identical to mine

I think your mandolin is probably made from much higher quality wood and is a few rungs up the ladder to this one- we discussed a similar mandolin a while back- the tailpiece, guard and tuners give it a more Ritzy look. I think the bridge was one that I have on an old ad from the 1940s being sold by a dealer but it is a type used by Harmony from the late 30s for 30 odd years. This is one I think as we don't get to see it properly in the photos. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33454877957...Bk9SR7qvpJ_oYA

4. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Have I mentioned how much I love mine?
    Sue, I'm surprised you haven't written a song about your Stradolin! Have you named Her, yet? lol
    She is solid woods, isn't She???

Asymmetrical fretboards are rare & were usually solid woods. Is your SOL painted binding or celluloid???
    I can't find the thread about Her.

I agree with Nick, still that non-original bridge is Brazilian Rosewood and does the job. Even as late as the 1960s we took Brazilian Rosewood for granted, thought there would always be more around.

Not sure the SOL mandolin on ebay is all solid woods.

Mike
    Last edited by your_diamond; Sep-15-2022 at 4:11pm.

6. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Here is that ad showing the rosewood bridge- $6 for a dozen back in 1948. As I wrote, I have the same bridge on two late 30s Harmomy Monterey mandolins and Harmony used them for decades and I think in the 60s Kay used them but I imagine they were bought as a bridge upgrade as they are good quality.

Name:	image.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	893.7 KB 
ID:	203336

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Here's the thread about my Strad-O-Lin (and others LOL)

Now that I look at it, mine has a dark colored fretboard, but I don't think it's any kind of fancy wood. I've been told at the top and sides are solid; the binding is painted, and the bridge is original (not adjustable).

I can imagine that with weather changes, there was a benefit to getting an adjustable bridge. I've thought about it.

No song or name as of yet, but even the F2 has been languishing in the case lately
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

10. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Sue, those rosewood bridges like the one on eBay are good quality items. I have one on my best Regal mandolin made in 1939 which I assume is a replacement. I think Kay also used them in the 60s for a while. They are vintage items and look good. The Regal now has a repro pickguard that my luthier made for it.

Name:	Regal Custom Body.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	203361

12. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

I hope you guys realized that when I said the F2 was languishing, it meant that I was giving all my attention to the SOL lately, not that they were all sitting in their cases

14. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I hope you guys realized that when I said the F2 was languishing, it meant that I was giving all my attention to the SOL lately, not that they were all sitting in their cases
    Definitely understand. Was playing my SOL all the time except for performances and band practices.

Of course, now with the Flation, that's taking all my attention. And will probably drag it along on a gig today and play it for a few tunes.

BTW, will bet the SOL in the original post has a laminated back. Looks very similar to my first one. Also think this one has been for sale a couple of times. (Or is it the one Jake Wildwood had posted about?)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    BTW, will bet the SOL in the original post has a laminated back. Looks very similar to my first one. Also think this one has been for sale a couple of times. (Or is it the one Jake Wildwood had posted about?)
    The SOL Jake Wildwood has listed is Sue Rieter's. Jake did the set up on Sue's SOL and took (really great) pictures. Jake is in agreement with you that this model "probably" has a laminated back. Jake's description: "The top is solid spruce, the sides are solid maple, the back is probably ply maple (w/flamed maple veneer).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

Here’s another one, currently on Goodwill. Looks like the neck is letting go, but might be playable with a lowered bridge. As usual, pay attention to shipping charge.

Name:	C0EDD342-A592-4A64-A2CA-CF44CE819BF5.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	850.7 KB 
ID:	203450

20. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Back is also giving away on that one. Interesting coloring on the front and blonde sides.

Had forgotten that Sue's is the one on Jake's site. My bad.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

22. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Got it! Paid one dollar and fifty one cents more than Sue did for her Clarence White Model.

Sue, I overpaid, and I'd do it again, but I didn't get the super cool stairstep fretboard extension or the nice vintage hardshell case, like you did. Still, I'm excited.
    Mike

Hoping the color looks better on my ebay SOL, in person, than the faded pictures (hopefully). Love the 3 piece Maple and Rosewood (center strip) Neck. Same neck as the one that was on a SOL Artist (I Sold) and is on my Weymann Artist, that I bought in pieces (It's half way put together). Though the Artist neck's have more flame.

The breakdown: auction closed at $183.50 (cheap) plus $74.92 shipping (expensive, considering pirateship.com charged me $38 to ship a SOL twice the distance) plus $18.09 tax equals $276.51 total. A very reasonable price for a solid top SOL with the cool early 1940's Kluson tuners.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

Good deal. Even with shipping. Let us know whether the back is solid or not. Interested in finding out.

Also, if you can, show what the other items are in the case. Looks like an old receipt under the Guckert's and then a single stamp (Canadian? English?) Maybe something cool to tie in to a former owner.

Lastly, on the bridge - wonder if a prior owner was bothered by the lack of compensation so put on the replacement? Definitely don't know and am not bothered by it on my SOL. Do have a similar bridge on my A Jr. It works so no incentive to chance it out.

26. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Good deal. Even with shipping. Let us know whether the back is solid or not. Interested in finding out.
    If it's as good as Sue's SOL, and I believe it is very similar, it should be one of the good ones, even if it is a laminated back. I had a solid top / laminated back & sides Orphrum branded SOL that sounded absolutely lovely. If it turns out to be solid, that would be a hoot. I'll let you know so long as Hurricane Ian doesn't blow us away.

Also, if you can, show what the other items are in the case. Looks like an old receipt under the Guckert's and then a single stamp (Canadian? English?) Maybe something cool to tie in to a former owner.
    I was looking at that too. Will keep you posted.

Lastly, on the bridge - wonder if a prior owner was bothered by the lack of compensation so put on the replacement? Definitely don't know and am not bothered by it on my SOL. Do have a similar bridge on my A Jr. It works so no incentive to chance it out.
    Was thinking of changing it back to an adjustable SOL bridge that I have but maybe I'll play it with the one it comes with first, for a few days, and see.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

I looked at the closed auction and wondered if you got it. Can't wait to hear about it when it arrives!

30. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I missed bidding on the Stradolin on https://shopgoodwill.com/item/152105471 due to a power outage and no cell service during Hurricane Ian. Never did get in the bathtub with a mattress over us but when two hundred year old trees came down only feet from the house, I was more than a little concerned. Will never forget the sound of the evergreen snapping into pieces about six feet up the trunk! The third Clarence White model SOL to surface sold for $178.00 plus $28.71 Shipping and Handling (plus tax). She had some fairly good scrapes, needed a neck reset and had an awful ORIGINAL NON-ADJUSTABLE SOL BRIDGE. However the fancy tailpiece, matching pickguard and closed back Kluson tuners were worth what she sold for.
    I'm still waiting on UPS to deliver mine (delayed by Ian).

Sorry you missed the mandolin opportunity, Mike, but glad you are okay and the trees were a miss

I'll be going up to Vermont soon to get a new adjustable bridge made for mine.

33. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Ya can't win them all. Hope the person who got it enjoys "The Stradolin Experience". Plus I don't really want duplicates, unless it's a Stradolin Artist and then I want them all (kidding, sort of). I am excited to have a Clarence White Model, can't wait to try it out. I may keep this one.

I'm curious to see what Jake does with your bridge and the tuners.

I realize I'm lucky and blessed. South of where I am has been devastated by Hurricane Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    I am excited to have a Clarence White Model, can't wait to try it out.
    Did Clarence White play one? Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Did Clarence White play one? Pictures?
    Hi Jeff, I'm glad you asked. I'm going off a quote from another thread. Sue Rieter listed a link to her SOL (above, fifth response to this thread, click on "HERE", above). In the fourth response, in her thread, mtucker said,

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    You got the Clarence White model! Better be learning that Byrd’s (Leadbelly) tune.
    He may have been going off the picture of Clarence White and his brothers and sister, when he was very young and the SOL looks as big as a guitar because he was so small.
    Or mtucker might have other pics.

I sure would love to know,

Mike

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001223.shtmlI

I did some googling and found this cafe interview from 2010 with Roland White containing many vintage photos. As you scroll down, the first group picture shows Roland playing the Randy Wood mandolin currently at Carter Vintage and attributed to Clarence White.

As you scroll down further there is a childhood photo of Roland and his brothers and sister playing in bib overalls and, indeed, he is playing a Strad-O-Lin, modified with a DeArmond pickup and custom plaid pickguard! It is difficult to determine the actual model Strad he is playing, but the peghead stencil is obviously Strad-O-Lin.

I'm sure all the Whites were multi-instrumentalists, but Clarence was the guitar player, even early on and Roland the mandolin player. I think it is safe to think Clarence probably played it, so in that sense, we could call it the Clarence White model, although the "Roland White" model might be more accurate. Same as with the Randy Wood mandolin, IMHO. This could be considered more "salesmanship" than fact, as I see it.

38. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

They're coming out of the woodwork now! This one is in Oregon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25575668602...&segname=11021

I wondered about that Clarence White connection back when I first got the SOL, but I was such an incredibly rank newbie at that point and was scared of my own ignorance Now I'd like to know what tune he was talking about.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-03-2022 at 10:58am.

Sue, they are the woodwork.
    Like cats, you need two to keep each other company.
    Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Sue, they are the woodwork.
    Like cats, you need two to keep each other company.
    Go for it.

My SOL is all I need in an F hole instrument. I'm holding out for an oval hole example

The Roland White Model Stradolin showed up, finally. Orange and much Brighter than the pictures. Sounds incredible! It's completely set up ?!?!? Strings are new?!? Even the tuners are smooth as silk! Don't know who did this but the seller doesn't know instruments very well. weird. Looks like the previous owner was a Tollie L. Lopes or Loper of (Mobile?) Alabama and there is a date of 1946 on the chords book. Two stamps (in the case) are from Brazil and Curacao, so I'm guessing he might have been from South America. Really sounds incredible for a laminated back SOL.

I wondered about that Clarence White connection back when I first got the SOL, but I was such an incredibly rank newbie at that point and was scared of my own ignorance Now I'd like to know what tune he was talking about.
    I don't see any Leadbelly tunes recorded by The Byrd's. Might have been a song The Byrd's did in concert, like See See Ryder or Midnight Special or maybe Easy Rider? Don't know.

The fourth and newest "White model" SOL has that horrible original non adjustable bridge. I love the aftermarket adjustable Brazilian Rosewood bridge on mine.

My SOL is all I need in an F hole instrument. I'm holding out for an oval hole example
    Sue, Don't ever pick up an Artist like the one Mike E owns. You might change your mind. Now about My White Model SOL, TO QUOTE A FRIEND, Have I mentioned how much I love mine?
    Mike

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post: