Thread: Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

Default Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

Looking for an entry level tenor. Thinking of getting either an Ibanez Pft2 or a recording king dirty 30s. Was wondering what y'all's thoughts were on these guitars.

Thanks.

Default Re: Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

I've not tried either of those but IIRC both are laminate builds. Of those two I'd try the Recording King first.

My preference would be the Harley Benton CLT-20S

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_15621730_800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	203351

https://harleybenton.com/product/clt-20s-tenor/

Sells for $208 at Thomann - https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_b...s_nt_tenor.htm

It is the same as the Ibanez but has a solid spruce top and mahogany back/sides. Ibanez used to have a PFT1 with solid top that has since disappeared and I suspect that's because they come from the same factory as the Harley Benton but HB got priority to the solid top version.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

foxFredK 

Harley Marty

One more vote for the Harley Benton. My first tenor & that’s where my username came from. The only thing I found substandard about it was the tuners, I put a quality set of tuners onto it & it served me well. Harley Benton (Thomann) do a short scale travel guitar which I converted to a tenor which is better still especially for GDAE tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    One more vote for the Harley Benton. My first tenor & that’s where my username came from. The only thing I found substandard about it was the tuners, I put a quality set of tuners onto it & it served me well. Harley Benton (Thomann) do a short scale travel guitar which I converted to a tenor which is better still especially for GDAE tuning.
    I noticed they have a short-scale (23-ish inch) acoustic bass with a solid top. Curious how that would do strung as a tenor?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Thank you for the recommendation. I went with the Harley Benton. I am from the US and have never purchased anything from Thomann before. Hopefully I don't get any issues from customs. Thanks again!

7. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

I've heard generally very good things about Thomann. Everything from product to price, shipping and customer support gets good reviews so be sure to let us know how it works out.

- ---==< V >==--- -

I just bought my second Harley Benton CLT-20S used, got the first one new from Thomann. I like these little guitars, they're like mini dreadnoughts, the scale length works with 1-2-3-4 violin/mandolin scale fingering if you have large hands and cello style 1-3-4 or 1-2-4-fingering if that's too much of a stretch. They work and they sound OK for not much money. As mentioned above, the tuners aren't wonderful, but they do the job for the money and can be changed. I find Thomann's service excellent (I'm in UK), their despatch sometimes takes a few days. Their non EU site pricing in eg £ or $ adjusts with current-ish exchange rates, so sometimes whatever you want can get a little cheaper, or more expensive, if you wait a bit.

10. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post: