Thread: Mandola scale length

Default Mandola scale length

I’m just getting started on a Mandola build. I have the siminoff H5 plans. The plans call for a 15-5/8 scale length. I know this is considered the short scale length. Gilchrist says he build them at 15.9 which is still a short scale length or a long scale of 17. Any thoughts on this? Have any of you played a Mandola with those scale lengths? I’m leaning toward the long scale to get a brighter sound. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Default Re: Mandola scale length

I have built mandolas with scale lengths of 15 3/4, 15.82, and 16 inches, and have played a 17 inch Gilchrist. The shorter scale lengths are easier to play, the longer scale lengths have a better sounding C string. The short scale lengths have a C string that sounds "thuddy" when fretted. I found the Gilchrist virtually unplayable, but beautiful instrument. However, if you are a guitar player or OM player then it probably would be ok for you. I am mostly using 16inches nowadays which I think is a reasonable compromise. Better sounding C string than 15 3/4, but still quite playable. Longer scale lengths do not sound brighter, so you are barking up the wrong tree there.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter.coombe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    I have built mandolas with scale lengths of 15 3/4, 15.82, and 16 inches, and have played a 17 inch Gilchrist. The shorter scale lengths are easier to play, the longer scale lengths have a better sounding C string. The short scale lengths have a C string that sounds "thuddy" when fretted. I found the Gilchrist virtually unplayable, but beautiful instrument. However, if you are a guitar player or OM player then it probably would be ok for you. I am mostly using 16inches nowadays which I think is a reasonable compromise. Better sounding C string than 15 3/4, but still quite playable. Longer scale lengths do not sound brighter, so you are barking up the wrong tree there.
    I hadn’t ruled out a 16 inch scale and based on your actual experience I just may go with the 16 inch scale. Thank you for your input. It’s greatly appreciated.

I've built short (15 5/8" IIRC) scale 'dolas and 17" scale 'dolas. I greatly prefer the sound of the 17" scale, but I'm not a mandola player so I can't really say how much difference there is in ease of playing. To some extent it comes down to the player's hand size. The reason I built the short scale 'dolas was the request of customers with small hands. I can think of two customers who are over 6'4", have large hands and have no problem with the 17" scale.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    I have built mandolas with scale lengths of 15 3/4, 15.82, and 16 inches, and have played a 17 inch Gilchrist. The shorter scale lengths are easier to play, the longer scale lengths have a better sounding C string. The short scale lengths have a C string that sounds "thuddy" when fretted. I found the Gilchrist virtually unplayable, but beautiful instrument. However, if you are a guitar player or OM player then it probably would be ok for you.
    Interesting, I find a 17" scale almost the perfect length - of course you can't play closed mandolin chord shapes on that scale, but for folky open chord shapes and tune playing I'd say it would be just perfect were it not for the tuning

BTW you can tune everything up to 20" scale CGDA just fine, though of course you're getting into tenor guitar territory at that length.

7. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

having played both ( I am not a builder) I have a Weber Yellowstone and Gallatin- both 17inch, a Flatiron 17 inch, and a Gibson 1925 H2 16 inch.
    My electric Kent is 17inch

I would say there is a significant difference in both sound and play-ability -understanding that more than the just the scale length contributes to tone and play-ability.

the 16 inch obviously less of a stretch but still considerably more than mandolin, the "tone" is closer to a mandolin.

the 17inch can be challenging for the left hand, but the sound is so much "Larger"

personally I prefer the 17inch but that 25 H2 is a gem of dola ( after I had it refurbished, before that it was kind of rough)

I am considering a Collings short scale (15 5/8s?) but I have enough dolas at the moment.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Thank you for your reply, John. I do have a question for you, on the siminoff plan with the 15-5/8 scale, it has the crossover at the 13th fret. If I go to a 17” scale, do I need to change that to the 15th fret?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn4390 View Post
    ...15-5/8 scale, it has the crossover at the 13th fret. If I go to a 17” scale, do I need to change that to the 15th fret?
    I suppose it depends on the length of the body, the preferred bridge position and any other considerations. The mandola that I made that is still for sale at Elderly has the short scale, and I made it with the DaQuisto sound holes for 2 main reasons. 1. I like the shape and always wanted to use it 2. I didn't have to worry about the appearance with the bridge not sitting between the points of "standard" f-holes. It has the short scale and the 15th fret at the cross-piece. The other short scale mandola that I made has an oval hole and also has the cross-piece at 15. Basically, you can place the neck wherever you want (within reason) and work around the resulting bridge position.
    I'm not familiar with the plans you are using, but if you want to use the long scale and 15-fret neck I'd say you can make that change. You might also have to change the position of the f-holes (assuming f-holes) if you want the bridge between the f-hole points.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I suppose it depends on the length of the body, the preferred bridge position and any other considerations. The mandola that I made that is still for sale at Elderly has the short scale, and I made it with the DaQuisto sound holes for 2 main reasons. 1. I like the shape and always wanted to use it 2. I didn't have to worry about the appearance with the bridge not sitting between the points of "standard" f-holes. It has the short scale and the 15th fret at the cross-piece. The other short scale mandola that I made has an oval hole and also has the cross-piece at 15. Basically, you can place the neck wherever you want (within reason) and work around the resulting bridge position.
    I'm not familiar with the plans you are using, but if you want to use the long scale and 15-fret neck I'd say you can make that change. You might also have to change the position of the f-holes (assuming f-holes) if you want the bridge between the f-hole points.
    Thank you, John. I appreciate you taking time to help out and it is very helpful.

For what it's worth, Jack Spira built me a mandola with a 16.5-inch scale. I was looking for the big-instrument sound but was leery of playing difficulty associated with a 17-inch scale. It's got great sound and I think that half-inch helped- I would not want to go any longer.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Spira-Mandola
    Cedwyn Morgan