Thread: Bending sides

Default Bending sides

Question from a guitar builder looking at building both F5 and A style mandolins.

Do most folks here just bend by hand and then fit on an outside or inside mold? Or are there some successful methods to use side benders a la Fox or LMI style? Please share your techniques.

Thx. Jon

Default Re: Bending sides

Hand bending is no problem if you have experience with figured wood. Gluing up the rim for an F5 can be very tricky, however. I am in the minority and prefer an inside form simply because it is so much easier for me to glue the sides to the blocks with counter forms for each section, and I can work in steps rather than everything needing to fit all at once. Once the rim is built it is easy to move it to an outside form if you so desire.

Default Re: Bending sides

I'm pretty much old school when it comes to bending. I use a pipe heated with a propane torch. I use outside molds.
    As I mentioned in a similar recent thread, the last 5 or so instruments I've started have nearly all been different shapes. That would be a lot of Fox/LMI side benders sitting around!
    Folks who build standard models using a more-or-less production methods can use side benders, but those of us who mostly custom build tend to work using older hand methods.

4. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: