Thread: Breedlove “Black Gold” ???

Default Breedlove “Black Gold” ???

Any Breedlove aficionados out there who might be able to add or confirm anything about my beater?

It’s a so-called “Black Gold” edition and I bought it an auction in 2017. The label gives Breedlove’s address as “Tumalo, Oregon” which I believe dates it to before 2008. The serial number is 7406 which I once worked out to either 2004 or ‘05 but I don’t remember how and obvious sources relating serial numbers to dates appear to have disappeared.

There is a signature inside, in pencil, which could well be “Angela Christensen”.

Over to you & thanks in advance.

Default Re: Breedlove “Black Gold” ???

It looks like your mandolin was built in 2004. The black gold model was part of the quartz series. Joey Christensen, Angela’s brother in law would have been the Christensen who signed your instrument.
    Weber Mandolin Builder

Thanks for that Ryan. It may well be “Joey” - I’ve only ever seen Angela mentioned - the photo of the signature is on my desktop (it took some taking!). Do you happen to know what Joey’s function was?

You’re welcome. Joey was the mandolin builder for some time then he worked in the finish department and became the finish dept lead. Mike Coulter would have done the “string up” I’m not sure who was finishing mandolins at that time. Kim Breedlove inspected all the mandolins.
    Weber Mandolin Builder

Thanks again Ryan. I assume, because the signature is inside the instrument that, at the time, he was building rather than finishing.

From the lack of information readily available, the "Black Gold" doesn't seem to have been a common model.

For the record, this is the signature - definitely "Joey" rather than "Angela"!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trimmed Breedlove Signature.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	203449