Thread: Power Supply Advice

Default Power Supply Advice

I find myself playing live more as a "sideman" for soloists, where I'm plugging into different sound systems for mandolin and octave. I've decided to build a small pedal board with the Tonedexter, and then a delay and chorus pedals for ease of setup.

The challenge is power supply. If I'm reading the specs correctly, the Tonedexter needs 6 watts, which equates to 6000 milliamps. The biggest power supply unit I can find is 2000 m/a. Other than wiring the Tonedexter independent of the effects pedals, does anyone know of a unit or solution to powering all three together?

I've tried daisy chaining off the Tonedexter power supply, but no luck.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Default Re: Power Supply Advice

I have used Talentcell packs for recording with Zoom F8/F8n digital recorders as well as video camcorders. They have different models, some with 12V only and some with USB (5V) options. 12V should work for any ToneDexter, from what I see in the user guide.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF70BPU/

Pretty sure your calculation is off by a decimal point or so. W = V * I, or if you start with the W requirement (6w version 2 of ToneDexter, 8w for version 1.x, if I read correctly), then the mA requirement is given by W/V, or (worst case) 8/12 = .667A - 667mA. (even if I'm off a decimal point, I think the 6000mA Talentcell should work..)

You might email the Audio Sprockets guy for clarification or a specific suggestion for external supplies. (I'm on a pre-order/wait-list for the new model.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

3. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

I’m with Keith. 6 watts at 12v is 500mA.

I run a pedal board, with ToneDexter and three other pedals. They run fine with a “OneSpot” power supply.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

thanks guys. If you ever need any electrical work done around the house, better call someone else...

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

You need to check the polarity of power supplies, whether plug-in (AC converter type) or battery packs. It may be that the ToneDexter supply is not the same polarity as required by your pedals. (IIRC the TD accepts any polarity, so as @MontanaMatt posted, it will work off a 3rd party supply.) I would guess TD's max power usage is when it's supplying phantom power to a mic for capturing/creating the IRs, and not when it's just doing processing. (But, I could be wrong!)

I had the same thought, that the TD supply might be positive and the pedals are negative. To avoid the issue I went ahead and ordered a OneSpot, which will clearly work and is a pretty economical solution.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

IMO you're starting with a compromised solution. The Boss AD-10 preamp gives you two channel inputs so your mando and octave are both on board, each channel with EQ, effects, comp, xlr out, etc. It also offers a boost, a loop for your favorite fx, has a dedicated ps when you don't want to run on batteries. One box to rule them all, one box to bind them.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    IMO you're starting with a compromised solution. The Boss AD-10 preamp gives you two channel inputs so your mando and octave are both on board, each channel with EQ, effects, comp, xlr out, etc. It also offers a boost, a loop for your favorite fx, has a dedicated ps when you don't want to run on batteries. One box to rule them all, one box to bind them.
    That's a very feature-loaded box! It does lack the IR capability of the ToneDexter, though, so if that's the main reason to have a TD, it's just not going to replace it. But, if you are basically happy with the output of your current guitar pickup, i.e., not searching for that "just like the acoustic guitar" sound, and especially if you use the included FX, I can see it being useful in a gigging situation where different FX are required on different songs. (I used a POD HD400 for years when I was in a praise team and had to have the electric cover all the bases - used stored settings for pretty much every song!)

Eventually, daisy chaining Onespots or something similar is going to let you down at the worst possible stage moment. I used to run way more of those than I should and overloaded them far too much. Once I moved up to a real power supply, the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 4x4, all of that disappeared into smooth and reliable every time.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I agree with James ^^. I play electric in church with multiple pedals and changed to a quality power supply with isolated, filtered, and regulated outputs a long time ago. Digital delay in particular requires plenty of clean power to do it's thing. I would imagine the sound quality through the Tonedexter is high enough that it merits good power.