Thread: Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

Default Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

I bought this product a year or so ago, and was disappointed that it didn't work for removing worn pickguard screws on a vintage guitar I was working on. Keep in mind, they were completely rounded out and rusted.

Anyway, I was working on this guitar today trying to remove the cheapo tuners someone had put on this vintage neck, I assume to cover holes from 2 or 3 previous tuner installations. Jeesh. I could tell they were really worn and going to be a challenge, but not as worn as the pickguard screws I had previously tried it on. Anyway I tried it on this repair and was able to remove all 12 screws without having to use pliers, etc. It is easy to use, just put a drop on the screw head, then unscrew. It evidently has some "grit" suspended in a thick paste. It feels gritty as you are turning the screw. The residue wipes off easily. I made sure to use a sharp tipped screwdriver and I had to push really hard. On a couple of the screws the screwdriver slipped, but I was able to tighten first, then unscrew. Like I say, for this project it certainly beat having to resort to other measures.

Anyway, NFI, but thought somebody could find this useful. I bought it online and was under $10, if I recall correctly. DISCLAIMER: LIKE I SAID, IT WORKED ON ONE PROJECT BUT NOT THE OTHER, SO I WOULD SAY IT HELPS WITH BORDERLINE WORN SCREW HEADS, BUT NOT FOR COMPLETELY WORN OUT SCREW HEADS, IMHO. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8126.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	884.2 KB 
ID:	203381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8150.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	917.6 KB 
ID:	203382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8118.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	889.6 KB 
ID:	203383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8130.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	932.1 KB 
ID:	203384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8136.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	952.1 KB 
ID:	203385

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

Good to have on the shelf. Just ordered a bottle. Thanks for the tip!

4. The following members say thank you to Jonathan Ward for this post:

Default Re: Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

Bondhus makes good stuff. They wouldn't sell a gimmick or garbage. Interesting product. I suspect it's primarily for socket-head screws, which is their primary product line. It should work basically perfectly in socket-head applications due to granular packing effects, so if you have a stripped out socket in a truss rod, worth keeping in mind.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post: