Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dilemma of Motivation, Attention Span, and Practice Regimen

Default Re: The Dilemma of Motivation, Attention Span, and Practice Regim

As I read this thread, I get an image of the people I've trained, over the past 45-50 years. Often the missing ingredient, for those who don't progress, is accountability.
    To put a "why" in place:
    1. As has been said a couple of times, play regularly with others, even if it's once a month. The will expect something from you, even if it's unspoken, and you will comply.
    2. Set goals and expectations in place. During the 70's, 80's and 90's, I challenged myself to learn a new tune each month. Didn't want to let myself down, so...
    3. As one other reply noted, make mandolin time a regular, and announce it in your household. My wife knew when that was my time, and always demanded a one-tune concert to show my efforts paid off!
    If it feels like work to you, then don't bother setting goals and expectations or looking for accountability. Maybe, as many people who dread practice, you just don't want it enough!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rush Burkhardt For This Useful Post:

tough problem, radical solution. join a karate class. if you find a good one, you would go from "I am not sure how to make a fist" to "I have learned how to learn this complicated kata step by step, I have learned how to go about learning to perform it with grace and precision". All the learning and teaching skills apply to music directly. Look at each tune as a "music kata". as side benefit you will learn to be at peace with "i suck". on day one, you will be the worst beginner, after a while the room will fill with even worse beginners and eventually you are at the top of the class and all the while you would think "I am still me and I suck!". personal experience. recommended.

4. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Blog Entries

I see there are two books called Chop Wood Carry Water. Its this one I read, many years ago. I see now another one, different author, but similar message. Spiritual fulfilment in everyday activities, and falling in love with the process. . I might just have to read the second one.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Braid Laird has these 20 points intended to be reviewed (aloud, he says!) every time you sit down to your mandolin: "How to Become Good Fast"

I have this in the front of my music notebook.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Just a few observations. 6 months before the Covid shutdown I decided to really dedicate some time to my fiddle playing. My practice routine was very similar to what Bill McCall described as Evan Marshall's recommendation. With me it just kind of evolved. First 15 minutes warm up. I kept a running list of tunes specifically for warm up. Tunes I had learned but ones that require frequent playing to remain sharp. Played at slow tempo to emphasize clarity and tone.
    Examples: Big John McNeil, Ashokan Farewell, Big Sandy River.
    Next 30 minutes learning new tunes. Again I had a list of 5 - 6 tunes I would be working on. These tunes required having the book open and reading the notation and working through them slowly at first. Making sure to get the fine points done properly. Things like triplets, double stops, slides, etc. Sometimes it would be practicing 3 or 4 measures within a tune until I got it right.
    Example: Part B Galway Reel, lots of triplets.
    Then the last 15 minutes just play whatever I wanted. Have some fun, let it loose. Seldom had any problem filling that hour.
    As mentioned by others find a time in the day to dedicate to your practice routine. Mine was after supper, about 7 PM. I works for me.
    Practice requires discipline, discipline develops best when incorporated into a routine. And absolutely lose the electronic distractions. (I won't pontificate about this any more!)
    Lastly, no matter what level you feel you're at, please get out and play with other musicians. It's a big part of what makes playing so rewarding. Interacting with others will be very inspiring, I promise.
    Making some new friends is always a nice benefit to this music we love.
    And yes all of this has greatly benefited my mandolin playing.
    The End.

Its been a busy weekend, but I've finally got time to sit and read through all of these. A few folks seem to have misunderstood my original post, but largely the advice from everyone has been wonderful and I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like there's a few books I could stand to order/read, and lots of techniques, tricks, and general attitudes to apply to my playing and life as a whole.

I'd very much like to play with other people, but honestly I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a close friend that is a musician, but our schedules are not friendly with each other at this point. Any further, specific advice about how to find people to play with would be lovely. I live in Olympia Washington, if it helps. A teacher is likely out of my budget, but I'm a big fan of the idea and I'd like to at least check out my options. I have a basic, serviceable recording set-up in my bedroom, so online lessons are a possibility for me as well. Is there a place or website that makes finding a teacher easy?

Again, I really appreciate it folks. I hope all these questions don't come off as needy, I just trust you-all's experience more than my own misguided googling.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Thanks, Charlie. I have a copy of this book on order
    Wow! Someone read one of my posts!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My wife and I both did. Good writing, lots of info, lots of insights.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I see there are two books called Chop Wood Carry Water. . . ..
    Where I come from, it's fish or cut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Great advice from folks. I think, however, there is one thing to add.

I think it kind of gets in the way to think of practicing as an activity whose purpose is the improvement of a different activity, that of playing. . . .
    Yup!

That's what I meant when I said that people who enjoy woodshedding improve and people who don't don't. If it ain't fun, it ain't happening.

Looking to find other musicians - try checking the "open mics" hit or miss to be sure, but its a start, bluegrass or old time or folk jams as well.
    When we started a band that actually wound up gigging frequently we advertised in the want adds and on the peg boards at music stores - we advertised for a bass and wound up with a fiddle and that changed everything.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Falconerguy View Post
    Any further, specific advice about how to find people to play with would be lovely. I live in Olympia Washington, if it helps.
    A lot of things happening out your way it seems.

https://arbutusfolkschool.org/music-...s/#jamsessions
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I agree with the people who suggest you play with other people more often. I think it is maybe the number one thing that will build your skills, probably because of the accountability that people mention above, so you have added incentive to practice, and when new tunes come up, you may be motivated to learn them because you like them, and that gets you out of the rut of the playing the same old tunes. Plus, even the tunes which are "sickening familiar" can be lots of fun in a group setting.

I looked at the link that JeffD provided, and the Flory Oldtime jam seems like a good candidate. Starts of with a lesson of sorts, turns into a jam after, and sounds pretty encouraging of new people. And if you have been learning American fiddle tunes, there you go. The Olympia jam also seems good, and I bet you see a lot of the same people at both.

I'd very much like to play with other people, but honestly I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a close friend that is a musician, but our schedules are not friendly with each other at this point. Any further, specific advice about how to find people to play with would be lovely. I live in Olympia Washington, if it helps. A teacher is likely out of my budget, but I'm a big fan of the idea and I'd like to at least check out my options. I have a basic, serviceable recording set-up in my bedroom, so online lessons are a possibility for me as well. Is there a place or website that makes finding a teacher easy?

Again, I really appreciate it folks. I hope all these questions don't come off as needy, I just trust you-all's experience more than my own misguided googling.
    The PNW is a hotbed of acoustic music, especially if you like bluegrass, newgrass, Americana....

Wintergrass. You must go. If I can cross the Cascades in winter to get there you sure can from Oly.

Seattle Folklife festival. You hit these festivals and you'll meet dozens of folks that have also come from your area.

Bluegrass from the Forest in Shelton. Greg Linder puts on an awesome festival, and they're just up the road.

Other links:

WAMA

Washington Bluegrass Association

Olympia Bluegrass Jam

I very very much appreciate all the assistance. I've incorporated two community jams into my monthly schedule, and daily, dedicated practice time as well.

Today I started the first day of this new routine, and went to a room to practice away from any devices. It really helped and I was able to learn Big Rock Candy Mountain by ear/memory, even if I still have to stumble through the chord changes. Tomorrow I'll work on making it smoother and work the position changes into my muscle memory.

I also signed up for weekly lessons with Jeremy Chapman of The Acoustic Shoppe as they ended up being more affordable than I anticipated, though admittedly I didn't do very much shopping around.

Much love to all you folks

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falconerguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    tough problem, radical solution. join a karate class. . . .
    When you can break a banjo neck in one chop you earn a black mando strap.

I very very much appreciate all the assistance. I've incorporated two community jams into my monthly schedule, and daily, dedicated practice time as well.

Today I started the first day of this new routine, and went to a room to practice away from any devices. It really helped and I was able to learn Big Rock Candy Mountain by ear/memory, even if I still have to stumble through the chord changes. Tomorrow I'll work on making it smoother and work the position changes into my muscle memory.

I also signed up for weekly lessons with Jeremy Chapman of The Acoustic Shoppe as they ended up being more affordable than I anticipated, though admittedly I didn't do very much shopping around.

Much love to all you folks
    Way to go, Falconer! You're well on your way.