Thread: Customs fees?

Default Customs fees?

I know nothing bout customs charges. If I were to buy an used instrument from Ireland, would I be subject to custom charges,etc.? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Customs fees?

Officially, yes, you’d be charged import duty on that purchase, although in practice it’s maybe yes, maybe no. Many of us have bought things and they’ve arrived with no duty owed and in other cases you have to pay before you receive the goods. Whether you owe or not is a mystery until it arrives. The amounts are defined in the Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) published by U.S. Customs and Border Protection: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a...ing-duty-rates on that page click/tap on the database link to find specific rates for nearly anything you can imagine.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

3. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Yes, custom fees can be a mystery. Also, there may be a factor of a refund of the VAT (Value Added Tax) if bought from a retailer.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

I recently purchased a used banjo from a private individual (not a retail shop) shipped from Ireland to the western US. "Declared value" was $600 and shipping with An Post was $107 with no VAT and I didn't get charged import duty. Shipping time was 8 days door to door.

6. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

My worst case was buying a vintage mandolin from South Africa. It cost quite a bit plus it was in customs for at least a week. What a pain. Buying from the UK there was no hold up or charges that one time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1