Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howe-Orme mandolin video

Default Re: Howe-Orme mandolin video

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    i thought I had seen those cylinder guitars in a catalogue reprint. I will check when I am home.
    Re: the Vega cylinder guitars... I found the reprint but there is no date on it. I think I bought the reprint from a catalog collector. It is just the string section of a larger catalog. There are some of the flat and cylinder mandolins on the next page—those are the ones that had the star on the headstock. They also included a long scaled cylinder back mandolin with f-holes as a Walter Kaye Bauer artist model. I have never seen any of those in person. I attached a scan of the guitar page here, more relevant to H-O instruments:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pink-cover-p1-gtrs.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Fascinating! Thank you so much.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

Thanks for posting Bob. I used to live a couple miles from the Orme family store in Ottawa. Orme's Furniture.
    And then a couple years back I picked up a Howe - Orme mandolin in a thrift store.

I finally cleared the time to watch this - great video, and thank you! I've had one for many years but did not realize how rare they are. Mine was sold (according to the sticker on the inside) at SS Scheidler's of Kalamazoo MI, so some heavy local competition a the time. I've always wondered what the mandolas sound like, given how small they are - I appreciate getting to hear one.
    Cedwyn Morgan

5. The following members say thank you to morgan for this post:

Hard to find much on the Vega guitars with a similar bulging top. This site:

https://www.guitarbench.com/2010/06/...cott-freilich/

seems to indicate that they were around from about 1932 to 1935. The one Vega catlog I have that has the cylinder-back mandos doesn't have a guitar, but I think it's probably the earliest catalog to have the cylinder-back mandos. The mandos and "double-huimp" guitars may have coexisted but what I've found seems to suggest the latter didn't roll around until the 1930s. But that's not based on exhaustive evidence, just a quick look-around.
    Bob DeVellis