Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

Default Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

I agree about the Dyn-M, it’s a great contact pickup. You quickly get used to the couple-of-minutes routine of installing it, and carefully recasing it when you’re done for the day. When you want to move on from The Loar, it will be right there ready for you to use on your next Mando.

FWIW I often use a Shure SM 137 condenser mic which would probably work well with your Loudbox (phantom power required). A versatile mic if you’re switching instruments and don’t want a tangle of cables and a bunch of different pickups. Good for vocals too. Unidirectional so doesn’t pick up a lot of extraneous sound, even though you don’t have to be right up next to it.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

2. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

I'm another fan of small diameter condenser mics when stage volume doesn't cause feed back. I've used an AT pro 37 successfully on guitar and mandolin. From two feet away you can chop without overpowering the mix and move in to 6-8" for lead. The EQ curve is basically flat giving a more natural sound and because you don't need to be right on top of it, there's more air in the sound. There are more high frequencies present because they're not lopped off like they are on a vocal mic so you may need to adjust EQ. Phantom power required of course. $169, mine was made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I used a ATM350 on a show in a small club. The Punch Brothers used them for a while. I couldn't get loud enough to compete with drums. If you use an amp or monitor, forget about using a mic. You'll never get it loud enough. IMO If you need to play with a band, I'd recommend installing a K&K mandolin twin pickup. It may not sound as good as a mic, but at least you can hear it. I've created custom impulse responses for my mandolin so the K&K sounds pretty close to a mic now.
    I've played some really big stages with the K&K + IR loader and it's worked great.
    www.shadowfields.com to see what kind of stuff I'm doing
    How do you use the ir loader?
    Craig

Hey Craig,
    I wrote about this a bit in an older post:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1753054

Think of an IR (impulse response) as a very, very detailed EQ. I'm basically making an EQ that is the difference between my pickup sound and the sound of a microphone. It's the best way I have found to get a "near mic'd" sound without having the feedback issues. Since that last thread, I started using a Mooer GE300 Lite. Besides being able to load in IR's, it also has a lot of effects that I occasionally use. I just got back from a tour yesterday. It all worked fine, except the outdoor shows in full sun. I couldn't read the display. Ha!
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

6. The following members say thank you to McIrish for this post:

I'm another fan of AT Pro 37. They are relatively inexpensive. You can find used ones for less on Craigslist, Reverb, etc.

For years I used clip-on lavalier type mics..see the classifieds
    too many strings

No pick up will sound like an acoustic. Best pick up is inferior to mediocre acoustic

i always liked the warmth of the AKG c1000 live........still do

C1000, me too.