Thread: Adding a pickguard to an Eastman

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Adding a pickguard to an Eastman

Has anyone here ever added a pickguard to an Eastman mandolin? I’m thinking of getting an Eastman F-Style and having a Cumberland Abbreviated Pickguard added.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Adding a pickguard to an Eastman

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Has anyone here ever added a pickguard to an Eastman mandolin? I’m thinking of getting an Eastman F-Style and having a Cumberland Abbreviated Pickguard added.
    I added one, though not a Cumberland. I cut one out of a sheet of 3-ply "tortoise" (paid about $18 for a whole sheet from Amazon -- shipped from China) and used a standard mounting bracket. Of course, after using it for a while, I changed my right-hand technique, and took it off. I will, eventually, probably cut it down and mount it on my A8 -- just for looks

I prefer an abbreviated finger rest, mounted about 1/8" below fretboard level and angle down at 15º. But it's just for registering my hand height, my right hand isn't wild enough that I need protection for the front of the instrument.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020667.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	203448

Question Re: Adding a pickguard to an Eastman

I've had added a couple to my mandolins though neither are an Eastman ..

but as they are Gibson-ish replicas, Imported to cut costs*, the brand shouldn't matter...

*or the builder is in another country working in replicating the established style that sells.

The pickguard/finger-rest fitting technique being similar...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Teacher, repair person

I installed a Cumberland abbreviated guard on a Weber F-5 a few months ago. The process should be the same on an Eastman.

A couple of holes will have to be drilled in the edge of the fingerboard to accept the mounting pins.
    You have to make accurate measurements and have a steady hand with the drill.
    It wouldn't hurt to mask off the top with a piece of cardboard in case you slip.
    Depending on how handy you are, you might want to have a pro install it for you.

The process is pretty straightforward using the two pin method. Most of the Eastman’s I’ve seen and installed pg’s on had a cantilevered fingerboard. I’ve done it two ways. First using longer pins directly under the finger into the fb extension. Secondly with advanced notice and time I did not glue the pickguard mounting strip until I could custom glue the mounting strip under the fingerboard. Either way works, but I prefer gluing the mounting strip to fit under the fingerboard up against the extension. I can email you the instructions to help with your decision.

Shouldn’t be too hard, though I’ve not personally done it. I like the look but don’t like playing with them, so I took off the one that came on my Rigel CT-110. Two tiny screws, nothing to it. I actually put the screws back in the holes so I wouldn’t lose them, lol…
    Chuck