Thread: buy a Gibson from Guitar Center?-I did, here's what happened

Default buy a Gibson from Guitar Center?-I did, here's what happened

always been intrigued by the F5G Dave Harvey models.
    a short time back TMS had an Adam Steffey signature model and i've always wanted to have one of those. never had one in hand but the few i've heard always sound really good, and i like the way things were done on that mandolin. and the one they had was the last one, #50, just a cool verb.

Unfortunately i delayed too long and it disappeared(Zach who has taken over the reins at TMS was excellent to work with btw-"like father, like son".

So, late one night after i saw the Steffey was gone, i typed in F5G to see if one was out there-none to be found but i did get a popup from GC. Opened the link and wrote down the serial # and phone number for a call.

figured it was an old ad, but if not, the mandolin would have been sitting in a hot dry warehouse who knows how many years. Still i called just to see. Nice fellow talked with me and said it did in fact appear to be one in stock that matched the serial-asked me to hold as he was going to call the warehouse(oh NO!!!) to make sure it was in fact there. took about 10 min but he came back on and apologized but told me he had the warehouse to pull it and double check the serial and it did match, and one was available.

He quickly mentioned there was a 15% discount coupon he could apply, and i had a 45 day inspection with right to return, free shipping but i had to pay tax(there is a GC store somewhere in my state). I told him my fear of the mandolin possibly being there for years and could be all sorts of scary things happened to the poor thing. He ponied up and told me he was sending me an email as we were speaking and in it he agreed to return ship it free if i did not like anything about it. Asked if the box could be opened and tell me the name and date on the label but he said that just wasn't possible the way things are setup. IF he had the mandolin in hand he would have done so, but it was across the country in Utah. So, with nothing to lose, i spoke the magic numbers to make it all finished.

Figured it would take a week or so, but it showed up on day 2.
    I had already prepared myself for disappointment(hey, i'm typically a "glass half full" but i felt this had all the makings of "glass half empty, cracked, and leaking".

The mandolin arrived extremely well packed in a large square box with 3" thick black open cell foam all around it-never seen that done before but it was like a big foam bubble. The mandolin had the factory Gibson box that i have never seen before and its a really cool box with a mandolin and Gibson all over it, cool box.
    Opened the case after the prerequisite anti-covid wipe down, and WOW!
    And the aroma, Gibson could bottle and sell that. Gibson, in my personal opinion has the best scent out there, followed by Martin.

Pulled it out with gloved hands, covid wipe down-although i easily saw the box had not been opened. Absolutely beautiful instrument and felt light as a feather, balanced excellent in the hands while seated. the setup was low and this mandolin played effortless. It was an immediate "this is staying here". The setup already low with a straight neck and no relief visually(how i like mine), i dropped the bridge to the bottom out limit. now it had extremely low action and if there was anything not in alignment it would tell me. it played as perfect as before and has stayed there.

after some time playing and getting lost in the magic, i stopped and looked it over, just amazed at the beauty of the wood, the colors, and the build quality was to my eye perfect. i couldn't find anything not perfectly square or mitered. think Collings perfect(as i have noticed with all Dave Harvey mandolins that i have had in hand).

next day i thought to look at the label....after i had played it again. Dave Harvey signed and a date of Nov 23,2022. I purchased this before Christmas so GC had not had it in stock that long.

Ironically, this makes the 3rd instrument(2 guitars) i have purchased thru GC with a call in the past 5 years that i could not locate anywhere else, and all three have been excellent.

I definitely need to be downsizing but its really hard when you like every one of them the same. For what its worth i did sell two banjos in the past month or two(but i did buy one more but it was a special find- used Yates RB 75, if you know what i'm talking about, you know).

some pics i grabbed yesterday. Oh, pearl nut, and this is 1 3/32" nut width, flat board. i may in time scoop the florida or cut it off at the first string change, not sure yet. it does get in my way right now, but who knows, by the time i change strings i may have become accustomed to it. small thing, no big deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_140559-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	205900

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_140659-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	205901

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_140717_resized.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	205902

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_141652-1_resized.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	205903

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143335_resized.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	205904

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143348_resized.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	205905

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143520_resized.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	205906

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143600_resized.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	205907

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143628_resized.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	205908

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_141501_resized.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	417.1 KB 
ID:	205909

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: buy a Gibson from Guitar Center?-I did, here's what happened

Nice score Daryl, enjoy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Happy to hear about this buying experience, Daryl - enjoy it and keep havin' fun!!

Chris

6. The following members say thank you to chris.burcher for this post:

I like mine, bought it at GC. Named it Africa because the wood grain pattern on the back looks a lot like the shape of Africa. Your stories great. Enjoy.

8. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Congrats, that's a beautiful mandolin!
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

10. The following members say thank you to Tjspahr1 for this post:

Hey Daryl, for old times (Guitar Rodeo) sake how about you send that to me and I'll let you know what I think of it and whether you should keep it!

12. The following members say thank you to M19 for this post:

How much?

14. The following members say thank you to Tom C for this post:

Congratulations, Daryl...

I lucked out a few years ago on a 1936 Epiphone Deluxe from GC. It was in a store in PA and I called the guy there and talked to him a bunch with it in hand. They shipped it to my nearest store and I went there to pick it up. I also had 45 days to decide but i kept it since it was about 1/3 of the retail price of one. It has had some collector issues but it plays beautifully and I got a real bargain for such a top of the line big archtop.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post
    Happy to hear about this buying experience, Daryl - enjoy it and keep havin' fun!!

Chris
    i haven't been around much on forums in the past 2 yrs, moved from Va to Ky in Dec 2020 to take care of elderly parents, i really miss "our" part of Va sooo much. thanks for replying, soon as i saw your avatar i knew who it was and where-made my day. hope all is going well with the Duff and the family.

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    Hey Daryl, for old times (Guitar Rodeo) sake how about you send that to me and I'll let you know what I think of it and whether you should keep it!
    ah yes, i remember that totally. hope your mandolin skills are coming along to match your guitar(which you can smoke).

miss talking to Jim, looking at the inventory, hope he is doing great wherever he is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    How much?
    i cannot remember the exact starting price, but he did apply a 15% discount which made a nice impression on me, that and the opportunity to have it returned on his dollar secured the deal.

i have the receipt but i boxed/taped it up in the TKL case it came in. I had an empty Calton collecting dust (the real reason i bought another mandolin-lol).

it wasn't a "steal", but it was a nice price with a no cost right to inspect for a ridiculous long term. i don't think anyone is discounting Gibson mandolins these days, even if you can find one, which seems to be getting quite difficult.
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Feb-06-2023 at 11:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Congratulations, Daryl...

I lucked out a few years ago on a 1936 Epiphone Deluxe from GC. It was in a store in PA and I called the guy there and talked to him a bunch with it in hand. They shipped it to my nearest store and I went there to pick it up. I also had 45 days to decide but i kept it since it was about 1/3 of the retail price of one. It has had some collector issues but it plays beautifully and I got a real bargain for such a top of the line big archtop.
    due to the size of the franchise, they can do some things a small owned shop just can't offer from a financial standpoint. there is no "setup" in the deal of course, but that doesn't concern me, nor was it needed on a Dave Harvey build.
    I think Gibson(Dave Harvey) is building the best mandolins they have ever made right now.

had a few folks ask if i still owned the F9 that i purchased from TMS, and if so, how do these two compare.

the F9 is no slouch in any area. the fit and quality of work the Harvey crew accomplished is outstanding. the tone is excellent, the setup was spot on and all i did was drop the bridge to the bottom-relief i didn't touch and to the eye it looks dead flat(i'm sure there is a touch but its very little). fretwork on both are excellent(these are the small i guess what you call vintage size frets? but i find they fret, slide, and work great. i like larger frets too, either size works well for me).

the F9 i have is 1 1/16" nut width and a flat fretboard, which i like a lot. i like not having any florida extension because it gives me all that space to use and not hit with my pick. in all these years of buy/sale/trade, i finally figured out a few things that work for me. i have migrated to a smaller width nut and string spacing that works more efficient. the neck profile shape is V with straight shoulder and stays thin in depth as you go up the neck-which i prefer.

i like the dry satin finish on the F9 a lot-it feels like raw smooth wood. the F5G is all shiny and glissons and appeals to the senses and you can zone out just looking at it-especially that headstock inlay. very cool inlay.

the F9 is woody, dark, very dry. the F5G has a beautiful tone with an old soul, different enough that i think anyone hearing both easily know they are two different mandolins immediately.

both carry the distinctive Gibson color of tone and are different enough to own both. if it came down to only having one, it would be a difficult decision, both are lifetime instruments. give me a quarter and call it, about the only way i could choose.

some pics of the F9 (i think i read somewhere that G has discontinued this model?, the Acoustic Shoppe in Mo had 2 or 3 left with some custom touches, wider nut width, thinking maybe a radius FB, some very nice wood. saw them when i searched for the F5G)

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143800_resized.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	205936

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143811_resized.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	346.3 KB 
ID:	205937

Name:	thumbnail_20230204_143829_resized.jpg