Thread: Tale of the Burgin and the Phoenix

Default Tale of the Burgin and the Phoenix

Last week I finally decided that I was too lazy (and getting perhaps a bit older lol) to continue down the rabbit hole of learning the octave mandolin. My beloved Burgin Shanghai needed to go to a better home! And, I acknowledged to myself that I truly regretted selling my Phoenix Neoclassical. Soooo.....I put a "for trade" ad on the Cafe - believing it was a zillion to one chance that someone would have an immaculate neoclassical and would want to trade it for an octave mandolin. But to my absolute shock my ad was answered almost immediately by fellow Cafe member Bob Clark!
    Bob and I each drove a few hours to meet and exchange instruments today and both of us are immensely pleased! It was really enjoyable to meet and chat with Bob. I think if we lived next store to one another we'd become great friends - as we have many similar interests.
    Bob had been building and experimenting with piccolo mandolins and he brought two of them along - one with nylon strings (a prototype) which was particularly fascinating! To see them check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...10#post1877410

Today was most enjoyable - and both of us appreciate the Cafe in making the opportunity to meet! And, yes, the Cafe gets a donation on trades!!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tale of the Burgin and the Phoenix

Always nice when the stars in the mandolin universe align. Good to hear it worked out.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Cograts Tim. I'm jealous. Sure would like to have a Phoenix Neoclassical or Jazz in my arsenal. Not sure what I would give up. Perhaps my Mandola that gets minimal use but does provide enjoyment from time to time.
    ENJOY!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

6. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Congrats Tim, and welcome back to the club!
    I did see your ad and wondered how likely it would be to find someone for such a specific trade, glad it turned out as planned!
    2008 Phoenix Neoclassical
    2018 Lowden F50 Bog Oak/Lutz
    1965 Guild Starfire VI

8. The following members say thank you to BrunoS for this post:

Good morning to you all. Yesterday I had the great pleasure of meeting another long-time Cafe member and we had a wonderful time. I really do believe that Scott has done us a great service by bringing us all together in this virtual Cafe. Now if only we had a real-world locale where we could all sit, play a few tunes and share a pint, we'd be in great shape.

Can you imagine how the stars had to align to make this swap happen? Me, having the Phoenix Neoclassical that was not getting played, and Time having this gorgeous OM that was looking for a new home and to top it off, our being within a reasonable driving distance to make it happen. And to top it off, we really hit it off and had a great conversation. I expect (and hope) that Tim and I will meet again!

I can't get over how much this Paddy Burgin OM (or Bouzouki, if you like) meets my needs. My guitar/mandolin duo plays mainly Renaissance-era music, Gaelic and Celtic music. My flat-back style mandolins are great for this, but my Weber, very short-scale carved arch top OM is better suited for other genres. This instrument is perfect for what we do. We have a concert coming up in a local series at an 18th century friends Meetinghouse where I plan to debut this instrument. I can't wait!

I'll keep you all posted on its progress, perhaps with a picture or two from the concert.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Serendipity or destiny?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Serendipity or destiny?
    Destiny!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

I always wondered how folks executed a "trade" situation from a classified ad. Having no notion of possible satisfactory logistics, I always specify NO TRADES in my for sale ads. This rarely stops some folks who inquire, "Will you swap your instrument for my instrument?", and if I have any possible interest, I inquire as to their physical location, which usually turns out to be the other side of the globe. The situation described in this post sounds ideal and satisfying for both parties. Has anyone here ever shipped their instrument in a swap, and awaited shipment of the instrument they swapped for...I will presume "no" will be the predominant response and no surprise...
    too many strings

Perfect matchup made even better by doing it in person. I haven’t had the in-person trades but did two over the years and acquired my National RM-1 and my Campanella that way. It worked out very nicely and I am very grateful for the Cafe to make it possible and relatively safe.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: