Thread: Thomann review: From Germany to US

Default Thomann review: From Germany to US

I recently purchased a tenor guitar from Thomann. Just thought I would share my experience, as there's not much on the forum about purchasing from Thomann from the US.

I made my purchase from their English language site. The order went as expected. It took them about two days to fill, then took three days for UPS to deliver from Germany to the US.

I purchased a Harley Benton tenor guitar, which was recommended to me by someone here on the forums (thanks!). It has a solid wood top and laminate back and sides. A good entry level guitar. I got it for about $140. After shipping, I paid a total of $208. There is no import tax on products from Germany under $800, so I wasn't hit with any unexpected fees upon arrival. This was a relief, as I wasn't sure what to expect from customs.

All in all, it was a very painless experience. The guitar is excellent quality, and Thomann's customer service was stellar. I will absolutely order from them again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Thomann review: From Germany to US

I’ve always been satisfied with the srvice from Thoman when importing to the UK from their German base. Since brexit, however, a single bad experience with, their shippers over tax, has discouraged me ordering anything from them.

Unless anyone can point me in the right direction, their website is still unclear. They say that “duty” isn’t a problem as they collect and pay it but tax in the UK (and Europe) isn’t confined to import duty, there is also VAT, which currently runs at 20%, and the shipping company charges whatever they like to collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I’ve always been satisfied with the srvice from Thoman when importing to the UK from their German base. Since brexit, however, a single bad experience with, their shippers over tax, has discouraged me ordering anything from them.

Unless anyone can point me in the right direction, their website is still unclear. They say that “duty” isn’t a problem as they collect and pay it but tax in the UK (and Europe) isn’t confined to import duty, there is also VAT, which currently runs at 20%, and the shipping company charges whatever they like to collect it.
    Thomann had a problem early on, mainly because the UK government didn't publish the new tax and customs rules until the last minute. I've bought from Thomann since and no problem, Thomann collected UK VAT as the law requires.

Thanks, I might give them another try should there be anything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I recently purchased a tenor guitar from Thomann. Just thought I would share my experience, as there's not much on the forum about purchasing from Thomann from the US.

I made my purchase from their English language site. The order went as expected. It took them about two days to fill, then took three days for UPS to deliver from Germany to the US.

I purchased a Harley Benton tenor guitar, which was recommended to me by someone here on the forums (thanks!). It has a solid wood top and laminate back and sides. A good entry level guitar. I got it for about $140. After shipping, I paid a total of $208. There is no import tax on products from Germany under $800, so I wasn't hit with any unexpected fees upon arrival. This was a relief, as I wasn't sure what to expect from customs.

All in all, it was a very painless experience. The guitar is excellent quality, and Thomann's customer service was stellar. I will absolutely order from them again.
    I've been thinking about getting a tenor guitar and that seems like a good deal, what model did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a tenor guitar and that seems like a good deal, what model did you get?

I purchased the Harley Benton Custom Line CLT-20S NT Tenor. It's a smaller body than say, the recording king dirty 30s. However, it's beautifully built. I cannot find a single flaw on it. The top is solid wood. The scale length is very manageable with 5ths tuning. Most importantly, it sounds great right out of the box: nice and loud with good intonation. My wife commented on how beautiful it sounds just this morning. It's an amazing value. I have zero complaints.

I just purchased a Harley Benton 12 fret parlor guitar with solid Koa top.Beautiful guitar sounds and plays great.All set up.Took a week to get after ordering.

I live in Germany. The service at Thomann has always been super and they deliver quickly.