Thread: Sorry, another Maandola string qeustion

Default Sorry, another Maandola string qeustion

I hve two redently aquired mandolas, a collings and a gibson H2.

I have read enough to be confused. I amd looking for a god mellow string for each. I he orderd the Thomastik 174w. Is that the one or another? I love silk and Bronze on my mandolins, what equals that in the mandola world? Also, on the H2 should I be careful with the top (shows no sinking, etc) . On the TI's should I kuse Mediums or lights?

Thank youi for youi very much valued information.

Default Re: Sorry, another Maandola string qeustion

I don't know how mellow these are compared to other brands, but for sweet rich tone, good volume and sustain I'm hooked on these Curt Mangan mandola strings.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Sorry, another Maandola string qeustion

I haven't used the Thomastiks. If you go with more conventional strings, I recommend 12-20W-32-49 or 50 for an H-2. You might just have to experiment to find the tone that suits you. If you want a mellow sound, you might try nickel wound strings. D'Addario makes loop end singles in many gauges. They're listed under "banjo singles" ontheir website.

And yes, it's a good idea to go gently with the gauge on an old Gibson. Both of the D'Addario off-the-shelf mandola sets are too heavy. Do not use the EJ76 set under any circumstances-- it will tear the instrument up.

Also, check the brace behind the soundhole and make sure it is not loose before you string it up.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: