Thread: Need help identifying please

Question Need help identifying please

My grandad is having me get rid of some musical instruments we've had in the family for generations. This banjo-mandolin has no markings that I could find, an enclosed back, and very odd placement of the tuning strings. The tunings strings actually point down instead of to the side. The drum part seems to be leather? It also has a waxed/oiled canvas carrying case, but rather than unzip all the way down, it zips around the bottom and the neck slides down out of the fitted neck of case. The man who owned it was from Philidelphia around the 1920's so I'm guessing the instrument is from there as well (although there is also a lot of family from Germany). Sorry that I didn't get better pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo mandolin with case.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	203475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo mandolin tuners.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	203476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo mandolin.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	203477

Default Re: Need help identifying please

Its a mandolin-banjo or a banjo-mandolin. The zero-fret suggests that it’s European. There’s nothing unusual about the tuners “pointing down” - look at any classical guitar - this is because it has a slotted headstock. The label gives the game away “ban-mandolin” snd could the “KR 75” be the purchase price in “Krona”? Don’t get your hopes up in terms of value.

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Yes the kr. 75.- could be DKK or SEK or NOK except we would use komma not point for the øre(cent)
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Slotted headstock and zero fret are strong indicators of European origin; label appears to be in English, although "banjo" and "mandolin" could be words found in a variety of languages. If you take off the resonator (the "back") you may find a maker's label inside, though quite probably not.

The "drum part" or "head" as it's called, is most likely calfskin, and it could well be original. That said, it's probably a 75-100-year-old basic model; European-made instruments with small "pots" are not particularly desirable on the used-instrument market. The canvas "case" was also common for entry-level instruments. More of a curiosity than an in-demand vintage instrument, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

This resembles a lot of the British-made mandolin banjos I have seen. Sort of resembles this William Temlett one pictured here with the exception of the zero fret and that it has five strings. I would hesitate to attribute it to that maker since there were lots of others that look like that and not sure if the headstock is completely similar but I might guess made in the UK near the turn of the last century.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    If you take off the resonator (the "back") you may find a maker's label inside, though quite probably not.

IMHO.
    ....... assuming you can take the back off. On many of these, the neck is simply screwed onto the resonator and the head and its metal ring screwed into the top edge of the resonator. Effectively, there is no back to take off.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't sure if it was going to even be worth trying to sell, and going by the comments it probably won't. But it is a very fascinating piece of history to maybe display in the house. again, thank you

Good idea. I’ve often been asked how much an old instrument is worth and often replied “As much as you’d pay to hang it on the wall”.