Thread: Help selling my mandolin in the UK (not an advert!)

Default Help selling my mandolin in the UK (not an advert!)

Hello to all. Nature has caught up with me and my arthritis means I can no longer happily play my Eastman 305 mandolin. I'm switching over to acoustic bass which is a great deal easier!

I hope I can ask a question here without it breaking any rules and I am certainly not soliciting for interest. Ideally I would sell it here in the classifieds section, and then also contribute to this forum which has been so kind and informative to me over the years.

I would like to sell it along with a few other items but I really don't know how to price this mandolin as it is now about 8-years old and is the old style MD305 and has a bit of cosmetic wear from being brought to sessions. Hopefully I can add a couple of photos so you can see. The mandolin also has a lovely ebony arm-rest made by Doug McLure.

I would like to throw in (at no extra cost) some things for whomever buys it including a Snark tuner, a gig-bag, three sets of strings, a Stagg stand, and some picks (Jazzmando, Golden Gate, Dunlop Prime Tone). I simply do not need them anymore.

It would be a great starter pack for someone coming to the mandolin new, or if someone wants a spare Eastman.

Do you have any ideas on a fair price and would I be right that the classifieds section here would be the best place to sell it? I've never sold an instrument so I'm a bit clueless frankly! As I'm in the UK I don't know if there is a better way to do this, especially as the sellers seem to be mainly in the USA.

Many thanks in advance and PLEASE do not PM me - I will be listing this formally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	927.0 KB 
ID:	203483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3886.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	203484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3883.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	203485  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3892.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	410.1 KB 
ID:	203486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	203487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220925_153951051.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	928.3 KB 
ID:	203488  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3881.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	203489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220925_165828613.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	998.3 KB 
ID:	203490  
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

Default Re: Help selling my mandolin in the UK (not an advert!)

Just to advise: I would just look at various want ads in the UK, Mandoin Cafe, eBay and other online sellers plus any seller of used acoustic musical instruments, Hobgoblin for instance. This is a popular Eastman model and I am sure that they are being sold used. Price it a little higher than an average so you can deal with offers.

If you are looking to sell in order to get an acoustic bass then it might behoove you to just go to a retailer you trust who has an instrument you want and work out a trade. That way you avoid the hassles of selling to others, shipping and packing etc. Juts my two cents.

If you need to sell online I would still suggest the classifieds here. Just be clear that you are want to sell in a limited area (UK only or Europe).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you'll sell it easily. It's a nice mandolin and seems to be in good condition. As Jim has said, your best starting point may be to visit the Hobgoblin store nearest to you and ask about whether they want to buy it from you or sell it for you (they used to do both of these, not sure whether they still do). If their conditions don't suit you, you can try the Classifieds here. You're right, most of the sellers in the Classifieds seem to be in the USA. But there will be people looking for mandolins in other parts of the world, too.

Thank you Jim - that is very helpful indeed. I did have a look in the classifieds but they seemed to be all newer models in the US. They have different string guards, and most are in perfect condition whereas mine has some dings and small dents, and has generally seen more action.

I didn't think of Hobgoblin - I'll have a look at their prices. I have a Washburn acoustic bass so all is good there - I'm trying to make a bit of space before I move back to Ireland!

In terms of selling I think I will use parcel force but would prefer to just keep it UK for simplicity and to make sure it travels safely. I will try to see prices that match my Eastman (roughly). Thanks again

Thank you Gelensby - Birmingham is my nearest Hobgoblin so I very well might see what they will pay although in my head I had a rather romantic notion that a new player would like to get a great entry level beginners mandolin with a bunch of gear but it doesn't always work Iike that haha.

When you get your price I would list it on The Cafe Classifieds and Gumtree or Facebook. Cafe has a worldwide audience and I have sold a few instruments in the Uk via Cafe adverts. Good practice to give 2% donation to Cafe unless, like myself, you give periodic donations.

Hey Jimmy - I will list it today here and of course I will happily donate to the forum. People have been great here over the years and contributed to many years of happy playing.