Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane IAN coming

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hurricane IAN coming

Well, I did manage to get through to my dear Dagmar today., out in the country some 50 miles east of Sarasota. She's all right, the house is all right, some trees and branches are down. At least none of the big trees near the house came down on it, a real concern. There's lots of debris around the place, and she's out of power, though she's got a generator running her fridge with enough juice for her TV, coffee maker, and lights - necessities, you know. Her landline is down, but I got through on here emergency-only cell - I figured it was time for that. It was harrowing for a long time. But she's tough. I've got a couple gigs coming up, but I might go up in a few days and help clean up.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Glad to hear it, JB. My thoughts and prayers are with the folks in Florida.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Here's an unreal time-lapse of the Ian surge at Ft Meyers Beach estimated to be 15' high:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

It's pretty well known that the trad method to assess Hurricane intensity by max sustained winds (Cat 1 -5) is antiquated - storm surge really poses the greatest risk. Good luck to all affected by Ian.

Z
    Member since 2003!

As a Florida resident for 56 years. This was the most rain I’ve ever seen. My house in Volusia county (according to my rain gage, that holds 6” of rain- I had to dump it seven times during the storm) received over 40 inches of rain. Over 2 inches an hour for more than 10 hours straight, the rest scattered I guess between Tuesday and Saturday. Luckily I’m on high ground and did not have water rise into my home. But I did have wind blown rain seep through my front door and soak some carpet. No power from Thursday morning until Monday evening. Glad it’s over but Florida has a lot of rebuilding ahead. Best wishes to everyone that did not fare as well.

Joe

One of my late good friends Betty K and her husband invested in rental properties on Sanibel Island. Unfortunately I've lost contact with her kids who presumably inherited them; wonder if they still owned them, and if so, what's left. Betty used to spend several weeks down there every year, said it was one of the most beautiful places she'd been -- and she'd been 'round the world during her 80+ years. Looking at TV news, and the destruction it shows, makes me wonder if thickly settling the Florida coast -- or the Arizona desert, or the mountain forests of California -- still makes sense in this period of climate change...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM