Thread: Calhoun Just Ordered

Default Calhoun Just Ordered

Hope I'm getting what I wanted tone-wise. Being away from mandolin for too many years I got an Eastman 305 model I think about 6 years ago. Too loud and bright for my liking so I sold it and feverishly got a Pava A style and it was much mellower in tone. Always selling to buy, I sold it a few years ago and have been really missing the mandolin

I'm not a one genre player so folk, traditional, old country, blues, jazzy and a little bluegrass not played in a die-hard bluegrass style I just ordered the Wide Nut Calhoun and hoping it has the mellower more woody tone I'm after. I'm a home player now so loud volume means nothing to me, we'll see. Called store this morning and they thinking shipment should arrive Saturday since I'm only about 300 miles away.

Default Re: Calhoun Just Ordered

I've been very happy with my Calhoun. Had it for almost 2 years now. Mellow compared to my The Loar 520 and not as loud. Hope you enjoy yours!
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

3. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

My little Calhoun Wide Nut came in Saturday and I got what I was after a nice even mellow tone across strings, not bright and bitting. Good to see one here likes there's. I started with an Eastman then a Pava, sold both and now the Calhoun and for a home player now it is suiting my needs just fine and then some. Intonation is perfect and nice and clean tone up to 14th-15th fret and that's as high as I'd seldom most ever go.

I do have a set left of Straight Up strings medium 11.5 - 0.39 I'll try tomorrow after having my Eastman Parlor acoustic set up, I'll have luthier take a look at my Calhoun also.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Oct-03-2022 at 11:39am.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBFrench For This Useful Post:

Very cool! I’ve always thought those were cool looking instruments. There’s something about the simplicity of them.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

After playing it a few days, meh... and I best not say my opinion of the bridge lol, G string kept popping out of the bridge slot, I filed it down for a quick fix. I just went on and ordered a Cumberland, hopefully that'll fix several issues. Tough coming from a remembrance of my Pava tone and playability but I think everything will be ok for my little couch needs with a little adjusting.