Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick Talk

Default Pick Talk

Does anyone besides me use rounded picks? I use mostly Dunlop Prime Tone 1.3s or Wegen Rounds.

2. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

Default Re: Pick Talk

Yes.

Thanks.

Yes, I use either a Blue Chip TPR35, or a Blue Chip KS35, both have rounded points all around. When I used to use a tear drop shaped Blue Chip I played with the shoulder end rather than the pointy end.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

6. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Resident Hack

Yup.
    Wegen
    Primetone
    Pro-Plec
    All rounded, all about 1.3-1.5. I've even started using them on guitar, as well.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Yeah, Mitch, I like PT 1.3 and Wegen 1.0 best. I like to tremolo a lot. I don’t know Pro-plec

Hate them. Sending you a PM
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I use Wegen M200 on an oval soundhole mandolin but I also use TF140 when I play f hole one as far as sound is concerned.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alban Havidson For This Useful Post:

I did for years, but went back to a triangle a while ago. I can play easier for more volume. Still like the round picks and play with one on occasion.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I did for years, but went back to a triangle a while ago. I can play easier for more volume. Still like the round picks and play with one on occasion. Age and arthritis made the switch for me.

Dawg picks are pretty rounded/..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use either the Dawg or a Golden Gate.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

17. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I tried Golden Gate , didn’t care for it. I haven’t tried Dawg yet. Thanks for your input, Dave.

19. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

Yeah, Pops, thanks. I’m gittin’ up there too. I don’t care for pointy picks for mandolin, but I use ‘em for other stuff. I like the sound of the round ones, and I like to tremolo a lot with Italian music.

You can tremolo with a pointy pick just fine, but you have to angle it more.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Started out with rounded ones, and really liked the Wegens, but switched a while back to the triangles with the slightly rounded points. They seem to articulate better, although it takes a bit of fussing at first to get a clean tremolo.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Yeah, Pop, I know, but I started the mandolin with a PT Rnd 1.5 then a 1.3. and they are my favorites so far. My only complaint is that there’s some pick noise with ‘em.

I read somewhere that lighter picks are better than thick though, so I’m checkin’ some of my picks out. The 1.5mm still seem good for my mandolins. I dunno. . . .

25. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

I currently have a BC TAD40, a TAD 45 and a TAD3r 40. Sometimes, at gigs with my band, I grab from the pick pile without noticing that I grabbed the 3r, and I proceed to try to shred… sometimes I catch it right away and other times I struggle and think it’s me having an off day. When I use the 3r my speed and articulation control diminish. It is only evident when it happens at a gig and we’re playing hard bluegrass. I love the rounded shapes for home pickin and recording, but can’t seem to get enough control at full speed in a band setting.
    As a result most of my collection is large triangles. I do like using J.Pearce casin picks, they are rounded teardrops and have less point than a triangle.

I like “Pick Talk”, I know lots of stiff shirts cringe when we stir this pot, but I have so many opinions
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

27. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Yeah, Montana, I like it too. I’m an old, intermediate player, and I need help with all my endeavors. Blue Chips are above my skill level and probably wouldn’t help me much anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    Yeah, Montana, I like it too. I’m an old, intermediate player, and I need help with all my endeavors. Blue Chips are above my skill level and probably wouldn’t help me much anyhow.
    No picks are too good for anyone. Except for that mystical VanHalen pick. In my thoroughly addicted rationale, the $40 is pretty minimal when compared to most of life’s expenses plus the return on investment is music
    I have stuck with bc for a long time because of the wear resistance. I’m abusive to picks, and want them to not need attention or replacement in gig settings.
    I rotate in casin, but can see and feel the wear in a gig or two (3-6 hrs) so too expensive to gig with as they cost a bunch too. Prime tones and Wegan don’t sound the same on my mando, I think (I do have an active imagination) I can hear the texture of the grain on wegans, and prime tones sound clicky.
    My new semi regular material is PEEK, which is almost as tough as the bc material.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

I went thru all sorts of picks, BC for a few years. Then I tried the Wegen. I used the round 1mm for a couple years then went to the 1mm triangle. Now I have them make me a triangle that is thinner than the 1mm, I like the sound better.

Yeah, Pops, I like the Wegen 1mm too. Are the black ones the same as whites? I have a coupla round, tremolo V picks too. I like their sticky feel, but mine are kinda noisy.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

V picks and prime tones and I have a couple of jazzmandos I use on special occasions.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Been trying out an Apollo PEI (“b” shape) for a few weeks now and really liking it. Don’t know if it will stick, but I’ve found it comfortable to use, though I can’t say it really has helped the tremolo like I was hoping - not a “magic bullet” 😀 - but the pick/material from Nick works far better than other rounded shapes, for me, anyway.

N.B. I’d been using the Mike Marshall pick (1.5mm PEI) since it came out and still like that best if the larger triangles Ive tried. I got both a 1.5 and 1.2 in the rounded style, the latter being the thickness of the John Reischman pick, and it turns out that the thinner one sounds better to my ear in the NF while I like the 1.5 with the brighter Eastman.

I have both black and white Wegen picks and don't notice any difference between them. Wish i could remember how thin I had him make mine. I took one down thinner until I liked it, measured it and had him make me a few. I could measure, but since you like the 1mm. I still use the 1mm on certain mandolins, it's just a couple that I like a thinner pick.

36. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: