Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pick Talk

Default Re: Pick Talk

I was glad to see that others have experienced a change in tone with the same pick. I wondered why the TD60 sounded great up until it didn't one day. I realize now it is a humidity factor and possibly strings that got to the point of "old" between playing sessions. That helps a lot to explain it to me. Now I have new strings, so the TD60 will probably sound great again.

I'm sure that from a distance, the "big differences" we hear under our ears will disappear pretty quickly. And, however it sounds in your space at home has no meaning once you get into a group; Then, once there, who/what is in the group and how close you are to each other will impact what you hear, so the only solution is to have a collection . I just snapped what's on the desk in front of me, and that excludes the small zip lock many of these come from, and to two small boxes of others within reach. I have decided I have enough to last a good while, though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9806.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	203721
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    I wonder if anyone has just the one pick and picks with it every time. Probably a Blue Chip guy/gal.
    I got a black Wegen 150 for Christmas last year that has been my exclusive pick on my Kelley the whole year. I switch off on other instruments but that Wegen has been enough magic for fifteen shows and all the practices.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

5. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

Good to hear that, Mitch, it gives me hope. I have a round Wegen 100 that I like pretty well.

7. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

Blog Entries

Love the Black Wegen M150! I did just receive my new Blue Chip TPR60 (1.5) with only the simple round bevel. It is the luxury version of the Golden Gate Large triangle X-Stiff. It is a Large triangle with rounded corners. Easy to hold, great tone, and plays smoothly across the courses. Same size and shape as the V-Pick Saga that I like, but without the glassy sound. Might be my new fav?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

9. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Love the Black Wegen M150! I did just receive my new Blue Chip TPR60 (1.5) with only the simple round bevel. It is the luxury version of the Golden Gate Large triangle X-Stiff. It is a Large triangle with rounded corners. Easy to hold, great tone, and plays smoothly across the courses. Same size and shape as the V-Pick Saga that I like, but without the glassy sound. Might be my new fav?
    Correction: My new Blue Chip is actually a TAD60 3R (1.5) which does match up to the size and shape of the V-Pick Saga. I have been playing with it constantly and it feels and sounds great. Glides across the strings!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

11. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

That’s great, Lflingpicker, glad it worked out. Ya never know with mail order. 1.5 seems ta be a popular size.

13. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

I’ve been using Madura Tortoiseshell 1mm and, sometimes, 2mm triangle picks. Got some of their 1mm Jazz style too. The triangles have nice rounded corners and I angle them for a bit more curve contact. I’ve been using my main pick for 4 years or so… I mean the actual same pick

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesecretmandolinist For This Useful Post:

I wonder if anyone has just the one pick and picks with it every time. Probably a Blue Chip guy/gal.
    Being a total gear junkie, I amassed a stupidly large collection of picks....BC, Primetones, Clown Barfs, Red Bear, etc....the list goes on...They all collect dust now once I got comfortable with Wegen TF-140s. Never even consider pulling anything else out. They produce the best sound to my ears and I feel the most confident with them in my hand. I should probably just sell the rest of the collection on here some day but ill likely keep them. Strangely fun to collect even if youre not using them. Hah

17. The following members say thank you to DaveNils for this post:

Yeah, Dave, I agree. I have a lot of them too, but I still buy a few from time to time. They certainly interest me — so many sizes and shapes and colors. I’ve been thinkin’ about the Black Mountain (grey) Thumb/Finger Pick for a long time.

When my pick sound changes it's almost always my picking attack that has changed.

A few minutes playing around and I can get the sound back.

D’Andrea Pro Plecs - 385 shape (rounded edge) are awesome. My idea of the tortoise shell sound.

20. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

Just spent an hour looking for my Wegen dipper, which is one of many favorites. Probably have to buy more at Dusty strings...

This page lists probably the most common materials for picks so you can be sure to have one of each (aside from BC and wegen) https://www.manouchepicks.com/materials/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I used the same tortoiseshell pick and have for years. I have a backup, a 2mm, and two 1mm jazz style ones for my wife’s guitar too but I always use the same one.

Name:	0C0E0592-9D42-43D8-ABC7-5F38131C0B1A.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	204014

Name:	C96EB2A4-6B45-482A-8BCC-BF0FEE26238E.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	204015

23. The following members say thank you to thesecretmandolinist for this post:

I swap out 3 identical Blue Chip TD 40's on guitar (my main instrument) because they will wear, and this keeps them all about the same.

My mandolin pick is the Wegen 1.0 mandolin white.

It doesn't seem to wear.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

25. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

Does anyone besides me use rounded picks? I use mostly Dunlop Prime Tone 1.3s or Wegen Rounds.
    I really like Dawg picks. The size, shape and tone are excellent.

27. The following members say thank you to Rdeane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    I swap out 3 identical Blue Chip TD 40's on guitar (my main instrument) because they will wear, and this keeps them all about the same.

My mandolin pick is the Wegen 1.0 mandolin white.

It doesn't seem to wear.
    Yeah, I have a coupla them too. They’re pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I really like Dawg picks. The size, shape and tone are excellent.
    Yeah, I got one a while back, but I haven’t used it much. So many picks - so little time.

It's either a Dawg or a Golden Gate for me.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

31. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

When I had a fairly bright Weber mandolin, I used the rounded Golden Gate picks. They helped tame the treble and warmed up the tone. Since I got my Gibson ern, I've only used the 1.5 Primetone picks. I would definitely recommend the more rounded picks for bright or stringy sounding instuments. They also work super great on electric bass guitar if you want a pick sound but not too bright.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Yeah, McIrish, I like the Prime Tones a lot too - rounded and triangle.

Blog Entries

I haven't had a lot of luck with rounded picks like the Golden Gate. I can't seem to get a good tone.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

35. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: