Thread: "Individuality" of Phoenix Neoclassical mandolins

Default "Individuality" of Phoenix Neoclassical mandolins

As I mentioned recently in another thread, a few weeks ago I finally decided that I was too lazy (and getting perhaps a bit older lol) to continue down the rabbit hole of learning the octave mandolin. My beloved Burgin Shanghai needed to go to a better home! And, I acknowledged to myself that I truly regretted selling my Phoenix Neoclassical. Soooo.....I put a "for trade" ad on the Cafe - believing it was a zillion to one chance but within hours a marvelous trade was arranged and once again I have a Neoclassical.
    But I had even more of a surprise. This is the third Neo I have owned so I'm able to make some observations that I find interesting. The first one was traded for a Neoclassical Europa III. I sold the Europa to help assuage the momentary financial freak out when I bought my Collings. Selling it was a big mistake. But I diverge. Here's what I want to say: this last Neo is most definitely, objectively, the best of the three in terms of sound, playability, and finish. I must say I was surprised that the current Phoenix is, to me, superior to the Europa. And that's saying something! This observation once again affirms to me that every mandolin is an individual instrument with distinct individual characteristics!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "Individuality" of Phoenix Neoclassical mandolins

Hey Tim,

I can think of any number of reasons that this might be, but I know that Rolfe Gerhardt was one for adding innovations throughout his long career building mandolins. These innovations would accrue over time, instrument by instrument and included things like including carbon fiber in his very light bracing. These increasing innovations potentially improved his instruments in a number of different ways as time went on.

Do you, by any chance, know the serial number of the other Neoclassicals you owned? 634 was built very late in his career, just before he turned the shop over to Jenny. Perhaps one of the reasons this instrument stands out (and I stress, only one of the many potential reasons) was that all of his many innovations were present in this instrument. I believe you have a real gem there.

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Default Re: "Individuality" of Phoenix Neoclassical mandolins

I don't remember the serial numbers, but the Europa was built 1 year or so before #634, I'm pretty sure, in 2014. The Europa really was a beautiful instrument in all ways. These close later year instruments should pretty much include accumulated innovations and be similar. When I first started playing #634 I thought I was just being partial to it because it is the one I now own LOL. But I don't think so the more I play it. #634 has an open, loose feeling that feels very distinct to me (and that's great because it contributes to each of my mandolins having a totally unique feel). I think I just got lucky on this instrument - or maybe as the sole owner you just broke it in extremely well!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)