Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is that little instrument?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: What is that little instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    ...made me wonder what, if any, mandolin he was used to.
    There are people who do GDAD (Andy Irvine would), and I suspect there are drone addicts who do GDGD or ADAD (late fiddler Ian Hardie had his fiddle tuned that way) and even ex-guitarists with a Chicago tuning
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Drone addicts?

There are a lot of South American (and medieval) little instruments.
    They often have huge numbers of strings and are played harmonically with complex, rhythmic thumb and first finger strum patterns.

Maybe the guy had this in mind but was held back by 4/4, among other things?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

I’ve had a lot of, “ What is that you’re playing?”, “ Is that a ukulele?” To “I love your little guitar!”. But, when you’re playing a mandocello…

So far no one has come up and said, “That mandocello you’re playing looks nice/sounds great!”

(Of course, the “ sounds great” not being said is probably more indicative of my playing ability! )

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post

So far no one has come up and said, “That mandocello you’re playing looks nice/sounds great!”
    Actually, I had repeated positive feedback on my OM/playing from an uileann piper (female, talk about chick magnets)
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Bertram and Simon, you're probably exactly right. The guy was from ukraine, and probably had a different view of the mandolin from what i've been used to. I will admit someone listening to an ITM session and asking to join in does put my brain into a pretty narrow channel of 'he either knows what this music is or doesn't' without thinking that to a lot of people, live music -- if they play it themselves -- is a comfort in a strange land.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post

We all know different thngs.
    in the grocery store, ask someone “where’s the quinoa?”

My jamming buddies usually have other folks around to hear us play. The “what is it” question is frequent.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

10. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    parentamorphosis I think musicians are exempt from that.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

One night after my band's regular gig, someone asked me, "What do you call your instrument?" for the umpty-leventh time. Because the question was phrased that way, not "What kind of instrument is that?" or "What is that, a ukulele?" or just, "What is that?", and because for some reason I was in a somewhat snarky mood, I said "Molly." I soon felt a little bad about being a wiseass, and not being helpful, so in a few moments I told him what it was and gave a thumbnail sketch of mandolin history. The funny thing is, I might have forgotten all about that, but the pedal steel player heard it and just cracked up, and told me so after the guy left. So the name stuck. It suits her, being old-school and solid and unpretentious and forthright and friendly.

A few days ago, on my home from helping clean up hurricane damage to Dagmar's property outside of Sarasota, I stopped for lunch in Miami at one of my favorite restaurants, a Japanese sushi buffet - nearly fifty types, all good, for a ridiculously low price - and brought Molly in rather than leave her in the heat. The young lady working my section noticed it and asked what it was (it was in the case). I said mandolin, and she got very excited, saying she loved it, being familiar with it from her home. She was from Mongolia, and I have no idea what a Mongolian manolin might be. When I paid my bill, I asked if she'd like to see it. She was delighted, as was the manager, to see and hear a little music from it. Curiosity is a good thing, and furthering mandolin consciousness is part of my mission, and serves us all well.

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Ran into this, more or less, just a couple weeks ago. I wanted to make tabouleh, as I found myself with all the ingredients except bulgur. The Winn-Dixie had none, not in the aisle with other grains, not in the exotica aisle, among the Near East brand offerings (pilaf, couscous, etc.). The person at the service desk didn't know what it was, and didn't know how to search in the computer. The manager suggested I look on the health food aisle. And I did find Near East tabouleh mix - mostly bulgur with seasonings - but at three times the price per pond it should be. So I used a subsitute ingredient - quinoa.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!