Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer antler saddle

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Deer antler saddle

So I’ve been watching some YouTube videos of a luthier working on various mandolins, and it seems like every chance he gets he replaces the saddle with a deer antler saddle.

Is this a regular thing? Other than this guy it seems that all I ever see is mandolins with rosewood or ebony saddles that match the bridge & fretboard.

Hat would a deer antler saddle do for my mandolin?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Deer antler saddle

When I attended Anniesland College Stringed Instruments Course back in 2003 I remember one of the lads bringing in parts of an antler from a Scottish Red Deer to see if he could use it for nuts and saddles. The tutors were always asking us to think about alternatives to the norm and when we cut into the antler it was seen that it was not of a consistent quality because of the way antlers form. There were pockets of possible weakness within its structure. Not sure if your North American deer might be different from our Scottish ones, but worth thinking about the possible inconsistencies in the material.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I’ve heard it would cause it to open up, with the notes leaping from the instrument, effortlessly bounding across the sonic landscape.

Or perhaps nothing
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I use Whitetail deer antlers for saddles and nuts regularly. They are usually naturally shed antlers I have found and let dry out for some time. You need to be careful in selecting the tissue you choose to use, but if you select carefully, it is the same as other dense bone. It may have some mottled pigmentation, but that just adds character.

If you use a deer antler from a deer that has died with the antler on there is still a blood flow in the antler and the center will be very porous. If you want to use deer antler use only antlers that are shed. The blood flow shuts off and the antler closes up and forms the bone all the way to the center, then falls off/. Much better quality.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What kind of saddle? The whole top half of an adjustable bridge? I've seen bone used for that though it's very uncommon.

I assume that *most* types of bone provided they are good and solid with no defects are created reasonably equal. Though I would tend to favour weight bearing bone from a leg or hip and preferably from a big animal as that should be good and dense and strong. So deer leg might be better, and on the plus side, the venison is delicious!

8. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    What kind of saddle? The whole top half of an adjustable bridge? I've seen bone used for that though it's very uncommon.

I assume that *most* types of bone provided they are good and solid with no defects are created reasonably equal. Though I would tend to favour weight bearing bone from a leg or hip and preferably from a big animal as that should be good and dense and strong. So deer leg might be better, and on the plus side, the venison is delicious!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compensated two piece bridge.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	203600
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

The music stops when you shine a bright light at that saddle.

Since antlers are bone, they should work as well as other bony saddles. My only concern might be in the twisting of the antler and resultant fragility but, I'm neither an antler, or bone, or bridge saddle expert.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    The music stops when you shine a bright light at that saddle.

Jamie
    Took me a little too long to get this, but I don’t live in PA. Our CT deer simply give you a blank look and keep browsing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compensated two piece bridge.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	203600
    Interesting, but that's not an adjustable Gibson-style bridge which is more what I was alluding too, ah here we go... knew I'd seen this before: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Bridge-Saddle

I have made a bone top to a bridge, didn't think it improved sound, so put the ebony back on.

Interesting, but that's not an adjustable Gibson-style bridge which is more what I was alluding too, ah here we go... knew I'd seen this before: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Bridge-Saddle
    I haven’t used one but here’s a link for you.
    https://rosastringworks.com/product-category/saddles/

Teacher, repair person

I've used stag horn a few times:

1. A full saddle. Sold to a pro who used it on and off on several mandolins. He liked to experiment with saddles.
    2. I inlaid a ~ 1/8" deep piece into an ebony saddle, and used it on an oval Gibson for a long time. I liked it pretty well, but finally made a one piece replica ebony bridge for the mandolin. The one-piece bridge yields clearer trebles on that particular mandolin.
    3. A one piece replica bridge for a rosewood Martin. On that mandolin, the stag horn bridge works better than the original ebony bridge.

For me, the answer is that on some mandolins they sound good, on others ebony works better.

I've also made a few aluminum saddles, similar to what Gibson briefly used on some mandolins built in 1921. Again, the results seem to depend on whether or not a particular mandolin responds well to it.

Yes Tavy, mine is different from the one you are referring to. With mine, you adjust by putting in or removing shims from the slot the saddle sits in. This particular bridge is the one I use when doing initial setups on new instruments, prior to making the mandolin's individual bridge.

I also make non-adjustable bridges by epoxying an antler or bone saddle directly onto the maple base. Some play better with maple, others with bone or antler. No real difference between bone and antler. Note the mottling in this saddle though, that is antler.

I like messing with bridges, and often I make a couple before I settle on the one that stays with an instrument. A bit obsessive, really, but I learn from it.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    So I’ve been watching some YouTube videos of a luthier working on various mandolins, and it seems like every chance he gets he replaces the saddle with a deer antler saddle.

Is this a regular thing? Other than this guy it seems that all I ever see is mandolins with rosewood or ebony saddles that match the bridge & fretboard.

Hat would a deer antler saddle do for my mandolin?

I purchased a antler saddle a while ago. Being a tiny bit lighter than ebony, it does affect the tone, but only marginally. On my Eastman 915MD the difference was not an improvement. On the other hand, on the 415GT, it was a keeper, though again, the change was subtle.

I watch a lot of videos from Jerry Rosa. He makes deer antler saddles. Personally, I didn't like the sound from some clips I heard. Compared to ebony, it seemed a little brighter, which is typically not a problem on mandolin. I will stick with a standard ebony bridge. YMMV
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I watch a lot of videos from Jerry Rosa. He makes deer antler saddles. Personally, I didn't like the sound from some clips I heard. Compared to ebony, it seemed a little brighter, which is typically not a problem on mandolin. I will stick with a standard ebony bridge. YMMV
    Interesting, and not entirely surprising if it's lighter: years ago I experimented with the Red Henry style ultra-light maple bridges (anyone still using these?) - for me they made things way to harsh and bright, but I could see how they might work on some instruments. Horses for courses I guess.

My Kelley A-5 has a giraffe femur bone. Assume Skip got it from the NC Zoo when he lived in those parts, but have never asked. Don’t know if it’s any better than any other bone, but it’s a great sounding mandolin!
    Chuck

We have a local artist here who carves some wonderful stuff out of mammoth tusks and bones. Maybe I will have him make me a saddle for my MC. Just for kicks. At least I know it will be "well-aged."

Then there is the famous toothbrush bridge that showed up years ago. We never did find out if it glowed in the dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToothBrushBridge.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	203745  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

The antler, mammoth, giraffe, etc., conversation strikes me the same way as the exotic, rare, pretty, and (weird) tonewood discussion does. Sure, it's a great conversation starter and cool looking option for a builder, but there is a reason instruments use, spruce, rosewood, ebony, cedar, koa, bone, etc., IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    My Kelley A-5 has a giraffe femur bone. Assume Skip got it from the NC Zoo when he lived in those parts, but have never asked. Don’t know if it’s any better than any other bone, but it’s a great sounding mandolin!
    This has been discussed in the past. I bought bone at Culpepper bone and knife supply in western NC. It was labeled as such. It could have been from road kill.

I had a mandolin in the shop where the owner wanted me to try several different configurations of bridges/saddles to see which sounded best. We both put the ebony back on.

28. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Then there is the famous toothbrush bridge that showed up years ago. We never did find out if it glowed in the dark.
    In a time long ago toothbrush handles were great, hard plastic, and worked well for saddles or nuts. That time has long ago passed.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    In a time long ago toothbrush handles were great, hard plastic, and worked well for saddles or nuts. That time has long ago passed.
    I guess that would be the "golden age" of toothbrushes!