Thread: Thick scroll

Default Thick scroll

I bought an IV mandolin kit of which I am pleased, my problem is a thick scroll. The binding came cut, and I feel like I will have trouble trying to shave an 1/8" off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221005_193559.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	366.5 KB 
ID:	203605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221005_193526.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	203606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221005_193508.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	203607  

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Thick scroll

That thickness looks HUGE. You need to work that down or the scroll will stand in the way of the pick above fingerboard surface.
    First I would glue the back to body before binding the top, you will likely loose some wood (and binding) while trimming the back to sides and sanding away that ding I can see.
    Traditional F plate has edge roughly 3/16" (5mm) thick all around body almost up to the spot where the ding is where it lifts off and smoothly rises towards 1/2" or so at the scroll button. My procedure for getting this is take plane and plane the scroll button with all surrounding wood flat (parallel to level of rim) to the 1/2" height/thickness mark and then carve using either gouge or curved plane the transition into the body part keeping the ridge a bit proud and well defined (many beginners leave this area way too pronounced). You can draw the transition line at the side by wrapping a visitcard or flexible ruler around scroll connecting the basic edge height and the scroll platform.
    Adrian

3. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    That thickness looks HUGE. You need to work that down or the scroll will stand in the way of the pick above fingerboard surface.
    First I would glue the back to body before binding the top, you will likely loose some wood (and binding) while trimming the back to sides and sanding away that ding I can see.
    Traditional F plate has edge roughly 3/16" (5mm) thick all around body almost up to the spot where the ding is where it lifts off and smoothly rises towards 1/2" or so at the scroll button. My procedure for getting this is take plane and plane the scroll button with all surrounding wood flat (parallel to level of rim) to the 1/2" height/thickness mark and then carve using either gouge or curved plane the transition into the body part keeping the ridge a bit proud and well defined (many beginners leave this area way too pronounced). You can draw the transition line at the side by wrapping a visitcard or flexible ruler around scroll connecting the basic edge height and the scroll platform.
    thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    that is a good idea to start with plaining the button.

My scroll thickness per plate is 7/16"

7. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Houchens View Post
    My scroll thickness per plate is 7/16"
    I've worked my down to more like 3/8" so that I can set the neck a little deeper into the body and use thinner fingerboards. Even so, the darned thing still sticks right up there in the way of so many tasks!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

One of the nicest mandolins that I made had a really high carved scroll.. I have been trying to find that sound ever since.. The picker was a friend so I see the mando all the time.. About a year after being finished, I found why you can make it too high.. My friend is a very aggressive player, and I noticed several hard pick marks across the scroll area.. He said he had to change his style a little because of the marks he was leaving.. Distressed ???????
    kterry

11. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post: