Thread: Tenor tuning for lead guitar player?

Default Tenor tuning for lead guitar player?

I'm diversifying from six string guitar to a tenor guitar, with the potential it'll become my main instrument. I started as a uke player and moved to GDAE for a bit on a tenor, but moved to a six string a few years back before really growing beyond beginner at tenor guitar.

Present day, I'm a good guitar player (not great, but better than the average bear). I got an electric tenor guitar and am overwhelmed by potential tunings. If I want to still lead my three piece band (mostly 90's / 00's grunge, alternative, pop punk) with a tenor guitar, what would you recommend? I'm thinking open E or GDAD but am wide open to ideas. Thanks!
    Last edited by subby13; Oct-10-2022 at 11:27am.

Default Re: Tenor tuning for lead guitar player?

You will ultimately be the best judge for your decision. None of us know the music for your band. I would just experiment and see what works best for you considering your ability to play cleanly, quickly (if need be), comfortably in the keys you play in. If standard 6-string tuning is best for you maybe just use Chicago tuning DGBE. Then again why not also play your 6-string? Anyway, good luck. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions as well but you are the player and not us.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks! It's Green Day / Nirvana / 90's covers type of stuff. So mainly humping power chords with some fairly basic riffs sprinkled in. The duo I play in is a lot more lead fills heavy.

I agree that Chicago tuning (DGBE) might be the best for you as you are already adept at playing the guitar.

Jazz great, Tiny Grimes played tenor in that tuning and here is a video of one players thoughts on the tuning and adapting to four strings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XKnStwmpmk
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I agree that Chicago tuning (DGBE) might be the best for you as you are already adept at playing the guitar.

Jazz great, Tiny Grimes played tenor in that tuning and here is a video of one players thoughts on the tuning and adapting to four strings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XKnStwmpmk
    It makes sense, but being able to already play the Guitar and Baritone Uke, it wouldn't offer the different vibe and sound I'm looking to add.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subby13 For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

There is one band where I live that uses an electric tenor guitar as a lead instrument but only for a few songs, they have a double bass and a violin so already some 5th tunes instruments but they do play a wide range of tunes!

CGDA might be interesting - puts you in a different range from what's expected.

2000 (DADA) and 0033 (GDDG) are power chords which are easy to barre, and the G shape spans two octaves.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    CGDA might be interesting - puts you in a different range from what's expected.

2000 (DADA) and 0033 (GDDG) are power chords which are easy to barre, and the G shape spans two octaves.
    Those are interesting chords for CGDA tuning! I can honestly say I've never fingered them in that way!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Those are interesting chords for CGDA tuning! I can honestly say I've never fingered them in that way!
    Nor me, but the thread originator wants power chords, just root and 5th.