Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

Default 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

Currently on eBay. NFI. Not sure about the "Seagull?"https://www.ebay.com/itm/32537036762...Bk9SR4rw2Kz4YA

Default Re: 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

I assume it is from the Strad-O-Lin people. Those tuners look to be original so probably 1950s.

I've had Orpheum branded Strad-O-Lin genre mandolins before. Both were A style and exactly the same trim as this one. I have no idea where the Seagull bit is coming from. One of my old band mates is still playing his.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Has wire hanger on the back for wall hanging if you so choose
    Important
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

This Style B from Retrofret seems to share similarities- the logo and finish, f-hole shape etc. It has the earlier oblong tuners and has been dated as circa 1950.

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8978

That "wire hanger" info I trust is not predictive but the seller mentions it plays but I have been wrong-footed by that description with my most recent acquisition which was unplayable! Who could resist 100 picks?

This is frustrating.....when I first posted this the starting price was $150 and it had NO BIDS. Later in the day, I checked it again, STILL NO BIDS, but the starting bid was revised to $200. Just a minute ago, again, checked the auction and it now has a starting price of $300, but STILL NO BIDS. This seller has a logic in place that I cannot understand. (let me see, if I didn't get any bids at $150, maybe I should try it at a HIGHER price?)

No reflection on the mandolin, itself, which I believe to be a nice looking old mandolin...
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-11-2022 at 9:53am.

But WAIT, there's more.....

EVIDENTLY, the seller is watching this forum. When it was first listed, there was no mention of Strad-O-Lin at all....before it said Seagull, remember? FWIW, It appears this seller's hope increased after finding out it was an SOL......

I noticed the uplift to $200 when I last posted but it may be the seller has been sent a message explaining what it is in terms of its maker although you may be right. I think that as a two point this might make it more interesting but starting at $150 was much more realistic as I think it is still a rather basic member of the breed.

I was probably being too sensitive about what I perceived to be rude auction etiquette. Maybe there is an altruistic motivation besides greed, such as the need to provide the potential bidder with more accurate information.

The seller removed the mention of the hanging wire.....FWIW.

Not sure of the 30's claim, agree with NickR that the tuners, if original, would indicate 50's at the oldest.

Agree that besides being a 2-point body, otherwise seems to have rather basic appointments.

I think the seller found this on the web and I do not believe it is 1938- more like 1940s and it is a higher specced instrument. The seller in the UK has made quite a few mistakes in his blurb and I think it is this info that has turbocharged the price and caused the addition of new info- as none of our posts here have mentioned the 1930s:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...olin-307531978

There is another that is identical to hers and it also has those 1950s Waverly tuners: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ase-1871952002

I was watching it, but not with a starting price of $300. And no case, either, I asked.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I was probably being too sensitive about what I perceived to be rude auction etiquette. Maybe there is an altruistic motivation besides greed, such as the need to provide the potential bidder with more accurate information.

The seller removed the mention of the hanging wire.....FWIW.

Not sure of the 30's claim, agree with NickR that the tuners, if original, would indicate 50's at the oldest.

Agree that besides being a 2-point body, otherwise seems to have rather basic appointments.
    It's too bad this isn't the model with the half inch hole bored in the middle of the back.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I've had Orpheum branded Strad-O-Lin genre mandolins before. Both were A style and exactly the same trim as this one. I have no idea where the Seagull bit is coming from. One of my old band mates is still playing his.
    The one Orpheum branded Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin I owned was very nice with a solid top and laminated back. Has anyone had an Orpheum SOL with a solid back? I wonder if this one is solid. The seller doesn't know (I asked).

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    The seller doesn't know (I asked).
    This seller doesn't seem to specialize in musical instruments. Based on seller's feedback, seems to sell mostly flea market type collectibles.

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Seller stated they had a music store put on a set of John Pierce (nice) strings and tuned it. So, it still needs to be set-up, at a cost of around $50 or in the least the fretboard needs to be oiled (with boiled linseed oil) and the tuners adjusted and oiled (with machine oil or Teflon lube).

I would doubt anyone would bid more than $150 for a fairly beat up 1950's laminated backed, Two-point SOL.

If it had the fancy and pretty tailpiece (that sold for $124, last month, on ebay) and the matching pickguard, that some of these had or if the music store had said this had a solid back, it would be worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    This seller doesn't seem to specialize in musical instruments. Based on seller's feedback, seems to sell mostly flea market type collectibles.
    So probably not much experience properly packing instruments that don't have cases, either.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    So probably not much experience properly packing instruments that don't have cases, either.
    I always ask the sellers to loosen the strings and remove the bridge... prevents top cracks (from experience).

On a bad day you get, What's a bridge or I can't figure out if I'm tightening or loosening the strings.

20. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Did any here end up picking this up? Looks like the listing ended without any bids.

Not surprising with a $300 "starting" bid, IMHO. I think for $150 plus $40 shipping it probably would have sold and made someone happy. NFI.

I noticed it hasn't been re-listed. I submitted a low ball offer which obviously was not accepted, but maybe someone else offered a better one.
    I had the thought that if I could get it for a reasonable price, it would be my first DIY attempt at sprucing up an instrument. Oh well.

Just heard from the seller. She is taking it to a music store to see if they can tell if the back and sides are solid or laminated, and if they can see a date stamp. Then it's going to be relisted, again on eBay.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

And here's another one. $395
    Looks pretty nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38520071414...&segname=11021

27. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

It's the perfect instrument for somebody's next step up from "air mandolin."

29. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Snakum 

Claims he took off the strings because they were rusty. It seems installing a new $10 set of strings would go a long way toward helping to sell a $400 instrument, IMHO. Makes you wonder about neck issues, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-30-2022 at 2:49pm.

31. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

This one also has the aluminum fingerboard dots. Cool looking.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

33. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: