Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

Default Re: 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    SOLID??? Any date in there?
    No date. And Can't tell solid or ply for the back and sides, so I will assume ply until something changes my mind.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

2. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Deleted - Duplicate post
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

The $395 one is about 2 hours from me. If it was closer (and I had $$ to spare,) I'd probably go take a look at it, but just semi-retired (2 weeks ago) so not sure how much $$ I will have to play with yet. it may be for sale for awhile at that price, and if it is, I may go take a look and make a cash offer and see how it goes (often works when they see cash in front of them.)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    This one ended today at $233 plus $14.85 shipping. Not sure how he can ship for $14.85 -- it usually costs me more than that. Plus missing tailpiece cover and binding issues -- than again, real binding, not painted...

As so often the case, I like the case better than the mandolin! (pun intended...)
    Just a follow up on shipping. Was sent Parcel Post and still got here in a couple of days. Very surprised considering the distance. Shipping also was very close what was charged. Remember, eBay gives a discount for doing shipping labels through them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    The $395 one is about 2 hours from me. If it was closer (and I had $$ to spare,) I'd probably go take a look at it, but just semi-retired (2 weeks ago) so not sure how much $$ I will have to play with yet. it may be for sale for awhile at that price, and if it is, I may go take a look and make a cash offer and see how it goes (often works when they see cash in front of them.)
    He has reduced his price from $395 to $350 (still too expensive for a laminated SOL, IMHO). He has probably seen the completed auctions of the two (sold) ORPHEUM 2-point MANDOLIN's (on ebay). The nicer one sold for $252 with a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE and the one in very used condition sold for $150. Why he thinks his is "special" and deserving of $100 more, I have no idea. It's not the last one we will ever see.

9. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    The $395 one is about 2 hours from me. It may be for sale for awhile at that price, and if it is, I may go take a look and make a cash offer and see how it goes (often works when they see cash in front of them.)
    I made him a $200 offer and was politely turned down, with no counter offer.
    So, before I wasted 2 hours worth of gas, you might want to agree on a price.

Picked up this www.ebay.com/itm/185637216898 Solid Woods Stradolin for $375.
    Actually $375.00 plus Shipping $24.99 plus Tax of $28.00 for a total of $427.99

Ebay is charging tax on shipping! While it's not much, I don't think is legal.
    Class action lawsuit to follow, mark my words.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

I made him a $200 offer and was politely turned down, with no counter offer.
    So, before I wasted 2 hours worth of gas, you might want to agree on a price.

Picked up this www.ebay.com/itm/185637216898 Solid Woods Stradolin for $375.
    Actually $375.00 plus Shipping $24.99 plus Tax of $28.00 for a total of $427.99

Good job. That's about what I paid for mine last year. Maybe the one you bought will have a date stamp. Mine doesn't. Looks like even the same model of case. And that one appears to have the longer shaft Waverly tuners. Much better than what was on mine.

Like the tone of the one I have, but my newer one is louder. At least according to others when I've had it out.

13. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Most states charge sales tax on services, which is what shipping is. I would be more surprised if they didn't tax shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Most states charge sales tax on services, which is what shipping is. I would be more surprised if they didn't tax shipping.
    From https://www.wikihow.com

How can I avoid shipping taxes?

Tell the seller explicitly that the item is for personal use. Import duties typically apply to items imported for commercial use (business or resale)—not personal or retail sales. If you're importing something for your own personal use or as a gift for someone else, you don't have to pay them.

Not sure this is the best place to post this link, but since the topic has strayed from the original 2-point instrument, here is a Strad-O-Lin for sale at an instrument store in Philly in case anyone's interested in following up: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop...dolin-c-1950s/

I've recently come under the thrall of the SOL Mystique, having fallen down the rabbit hole after ordering one of Sue Rieter's very cool shirt designs, which is typical of the backwards approach I have taken to many life choices (buying the shirt before buying the mandolin in this case). I emailed the Philadelphia store with some very simple questions and received what I would describe as "brusque" responses, which led me to reviews of the store, which led me to conclude that snippy attitudes are not uncommon there. Since I'm getting too old for that $%@^ I have no further interest in pursuing this particular instrument but perhaps someone with a thicker skin would like to follow up. I will only point out that in response to my question about the tuning machines, I was told they are original, but it appears that there are no open holes in the peghead below two empty screw holes in each of the tuner bases. The store also says the instrument has not been refinished, which seems implausible to me, for what that may be worth.
    Last edited by Bill Drellow; Nov-19-2022 at 10:52am. Reason: Clarification

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Drellow For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Drellow View Post
    Not sure this is the best place to post this link, but since the topic has strayed from the original 2-point instrument, here is a Strad-O-Lin for sale at an instrument store in Philly in case anyone's interested in following up: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop...dolin-c-1950s/

I've recently fallen under the thrall of the SOL Mystique, having fallen down the rabbit hole beginning with Sue Rieter's very cool shirt designs, which is typical of the backwards approach I have taken to many life choices. I emailed the store with some very simple questions and received what I would describe as "brusque" responses, which led me to reviews of the store, which led me to conclude that snippy attitudes are not uncommon there. Since I'm getting too old for that $%@^ I have no further interest in pursuing this particular instrument but perhaps someone with a thicker skin would like to follow up. I will only point out that in response to my question about the tuning machines, I was told they are original, but it appears that there are no open holes in the peghead below two empty screw holes in each of the tuner bases. The store also says the instrument has not been refinished, which seems implausible to me, for what that may be worth.
    Typically, or at least on mine, there is no reason to use all five screw holes, so the two other locations remain undrilled, unfilled.
    Actually, the older I get, the more tolerant I get, and happy to encounter small instances of competence and kindness.

So, you're saying that this mandolin would have been released from the factory without all the tuner mounting screws having been installed?

Here is another Stradolin- perhaps, just a few years older and it shows the same empty screw holes that were never drilled:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8974

Harmony for many years had tuners with only three screw holes and probably saved millions of screws with this practice- as well as time! You see Regal mandolins with the same tuners back in the 30s with five screw holes- and five screws, so Regal missed a trick! You see late 30s early 40s Kluson tuners on Gibson mandolins- some have three holes and others five but Gibson, it appears, did use five screws on them!

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Here is another Stradolin- perhaps, just a few years older and it shows the same empty screw holes that were never drilled:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8974

Harmony for many years had tuners with only three screw holes and probably saved millions of screws with this practice- as well as time! You see Regal mandolins with the same tuners back in the 30s with five screw holes- and five screws, so Regal missed a trick! You see late 30s early 40s Kluson tuners on Gibson mandolins- some have three holes and others five but Gibson, it appears, did use five screws on them!
    Well, I'll be darned. Thanks for the insight.

So, you're saying that this mandolin would have been released from the factory without all the tuner mounting screws having been installed?
    Yes. My Stadium label SOL oval hole (all laminate mahogany) has only 3 screws per side. It's something that Strad-O-Lin seems to have started doing in the mid (or later) 1950's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Yes. My Stadium label SOL oval hole (all laminate mahogany) has only 3 screws per side. It's something that Strad-O-Lin seems to have started doing in the mid (or later) 1950's.
    This is all very interesting to an old guy with a more contemporary sensibility. For the cost and time it takes to install four tiny screws, you'd rather have customers think this was a manufacturing slip-up and require your dealers to explain it away or install the screws? Or have the tuner manufacturers provide sets with three holes on a side rather than five? (Doesn't require a response. Thanks)

I don't want to respond to what any maker did or didn't do, but I do think Vintage Instruments gave you an honest description of the the instrument. NFI, but it seems like it's fairly priced in the current market. Fred is a well respected appraiser and I have always had a good experience with their shop.

25. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I don't want to respond to what any maker did or didn't do, but I do think Vintage Instruments gave you an honest description of the the instrument. NFI, but it seems like it's fairly priced in the current market. Fred is a well respected appraiser and I have always had a good experience with their shop.
    Thanks for your observation, Steve. The purpose of my post was to call attention to a Strad-O-Lin that is for sale on a site other than the usual places folks normally look (eg Cafe classifieds, eBay, Reverb, CL). I also thought it worthwhile to relate my experience. I deliberately avoided naming the store, and did not comment on its fairness or integrity. I read reviews of the store only after my email experience, and based on multiple comments, am fairly certain that I was not communicating with Fred. In fact, at least one reviewer wrote "make sure to see Fred." My correspondent at the store did not sign his or her emails, so that's just an educated guess. The only portion of our exchange that I will relate is that his or her reply to my request for a particular measurement was that it would be put on their "task list" (I think that was the term), at which point I politely replied not to bother as I had no further interest in the instrument.

Yes, I would suggest when the Vintage Instruments mandolin is compared to the Retrofret example, I posted that the mandolin appears to be sensibly priced. The comparison also suggests that it is original although it may have been cleaned up a little which some may not like- but would probably be typical of a retailer rather than a private individual, wishing to show the instrument at its best, for sale.

Thanks for your observation, Steve. The purpose of my post was to call attention to a Strad-O-Lin that is for sale on a site other than the usual places folks normally look (eg Cafe classifieds, eBay, Reverb, CL). I also thought it worthwhile to relate my experience. I deliberately avoided naming the store, and did not comment on its fairness or integrity. I read reviews of the store only after my email experience, and based on multiple comments, am fairly certain that I was not communicating with Fred. In fact, at least one reviewer wrote "make sure to see Fred." My correspondent at the store did not sign his or her emails, so that's just an educated guess. The only portion of our exchange that I will relate is that his or her reply to my request for a particular measurement was that it would be put on their "task list" (I think that was the term), at which point I politely replied not to bother as I had no further interest in the instrument.
    Bill, I just want to point out that if you provide a link to a store then you're naming the store. I think it's great that you shared a link to an instrument that might be under the radar, but it seems like you also took a bit of a jab at the shop. That's just the way I see it. I just wanted to let folks know that I've had good experiences with them.

I understand your motivation, Steve, as I have the same instinct. And while you're correct that the name of the business is revealed in the link (and perhaps this is due to my lack of knowledge) I believe that it wouldn't have turned up in a google search until you included it in the text of your message. Every online review of this business with negative overtones that I have found is followed by a much longer, and what I would characterize as rather mean-spirited reply that was almost certainly not written by your Fred. However, I should be quick to point out that these are outnumbered by overall positive reviews. My failing in this whole thing is that I don't have the patience to deal with people who I assume are going to be unpleasant to deal with. Just me.

30. The following members say thank you to Bill Drellow for this post:

I have also seen more than once the empty screw holes on completely original vintage instruments. I, too, thought it odd the first time, but think it was just the maker thinking more screws would be overkill and unnecessary. Keep in mind, the mandolin maker is just buying stock tuners from sources and not making them in house.

To prove originality, it would be a simple matter to remove one tuner strip and see if additional holes are present or if there is a "footprint" of previous tuners impressed into the wood and finish, although I don't think it is necessary.

The mandolin seems fairly priced, especially from a vintage instrument dealer. Fred Oster is very well-known and respected and has been for years.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Nov-20-2022 at 1:23pm.

And just for a footnote, the screws on tuners serve almost no purpose other than keeping the tuners in place when the strings are absent, so 3 or even 1 or 2 would do the job. A dab of glue would be fine. There are many common items that have more mounting holes than are ever used, usually for versatility, like lumber connectors, metal strapping, Dexion, etc. The main thing is to know how many attachments something needs, (unless of course you’re building something military and every added fastener is profit). At the other end of the spectrum, my Citroen has only three lugs per wheel, that number being sufficient to define a plane, as well as enough strength for the application, but it does surprise people who think even four is too few.

33. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    And just for a footnote, the screws on tuners serve almost no purpose other than keeping the tuners in place when the strings are absent, so 3 or even 1 or 2 would do the job. A dab of glue would be fine. There are many common items that have more mounting holes than are ever used, usually for versatility, like lumber connectors, metal strapping, Dexion, etc. The main thing is to know how many attachments something needs, (unless of course you’re building something military and every added fastener is profit). At the other end of the spectrum, my Citroen has only three lugs per wheel, that number being sufficient to define a plane, as well as enough strength for the application, but it does surprise people who think even four is too few.
    Another footnote, while setting up a different strap on my latest Strad-O-Lin, was looking at the tuners again. The screws at number 2 and 4 on each side (of the 5 holes) are smaller than the 1, 3, 5 screws. Wonder if the screws were added later by an owner? Doubt they set it up that way at the factory.

Also, had mine at a jam yesterday with three fiddles and two nyckelharpas. It seemed to be heard by the others.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

On the second 2-point Orpheum https://www.ebay.com/itm/38520071414...&segname=11051

He'd lowered his price and sent me an offer, so I asked about action at the 12th fret. 3mm he said, and sent me this picture. It's a little hard to tell if this is *really* the 12th fret, but if so, looks and sounds high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oprheum action.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	432.9 KB 
ID:	204517
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Nov-28-2022 at 11:40am.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar