Thread: EADG Strings - Fender Tenor Tele

Default EADG Strings - Fender Tenor Tele

I'm working on setting up a soon-to-arrive Fender Tenor Telecaster (22.75" scale). Fender states it ships in DGBE with gauges of 24-16-11-9. That seems super low for string tension (13.3 - 12.8 - 9.6 - 11.5 lbs, respectively for each string)

I'm trying to tune EADG (Bottom 4 of a standard guitar). To get around that pressure, I'm coming up with 44w - 32w - 20w - 16. On my 24" six string my E string is a 48, so it seems like that 44 gauge on a 22.75" scale is basically going to be a rubber band on the Tenor Tele.

I don't want to break the guitar, but I want it to be playable. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by subby13; Oct-11-2022 at 10:25am.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: EADG Strings - Fender Tenor Tele

Quote Originally Posted by subby13 View Post
    On my 24" six string my E string is a 48, so it seems like that 44 gauge on a 22.75" scale is basically going to be a rubber band on the Tenor Tele.
    Agreed. A 6-string low E of .048 (assuming we're talking acoustic flat-top steel strings), would be an extra-light, usually paired with a high E of .010, that set sometimes called "tens".

Given the shorter scale compared to a typical 6-string (25" scale +/-), a low E of .052 to .054 (light gauge, depending on the brand) or .056 (medium) should work. I'd just use A thru G strings of the same size as whatever set you want to try. Remember that strings are cheap, though you may have to widen the nut slots if you go toward the thicker end.

Note: I'm not a tenor player, but have experimented w/ lots of strings on different scale lengths.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Default Re: EADG Strings - Fender Tenor Tele

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Agreed. A 6-string low E of .048 (assuming we're talking acoustic flat-top steel strings), would be an extra-light, usually paired with a high E of .010, that set sometimes called "tens".

Given the shorter scale compared to a typical 6-string (25" scale +/-), a low E of .052 to .054 (light gauge, depending on the brand) or .056 (medium) should work. I'd just use A thru G strings of the same size as whatever set you want to try. Remember that strings are cheap, though you may have to widen the nut slots if you go toward the thicker end.

Note: I'm not a tenor player, but have experimented w/ lots of strings on different scale lengths.
    Much appreciated. I've got 11's on my 24" Fender six string, so I'm thinking at least 12's on this little guy.