Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you insure your instruments?

Default Do you insure your instruments?

Wondering how many of you have insurance on your instruments. I've always got a tinge of anxiety when traveling with my higher-dollar instruments or sitting around a campfire at jams where people start stumbling a bit after midnight...

My homeowner's insurance will cover it for an additional amount - just wondering if anyone has other options.

Default Re: Do you insure your instruments?

I used to insure all my instruments until one day I figured that not insuring at all would pay for my strings for the whole year (and that includes quality cello and viola strings). I stopped insurance on stuff that stayed in the house and only insured the gigging ones. Five years and a few scratches but no claims later, I stopped insuring anything - but by then I was playing a tough carbon fiddle out most of the time. Guess it depends on circs, whether you play behind chickenwire or without a safety net, etc

Of course.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

yes. Most of my instruments are guitars so I hope I'm still allowed to comment here! I play out a couple times a month and the peace of mind insurance gives me is well worth the annual cost.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Yes But not sure it is worth it. Usually taking a solid body or other lower replacement cost instrument out to play. Never a claim yet but that same logic doesn't keep me from insuring my house. So I am in a quandary as to continuing to insure my instruments.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Absolutely.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I insure my instruments, but everybody has their own risk tolerance. The potential problems of insuring through your homeowners insurance have been discussed in past threads, which can probably be found with a search, but here goes:

Be very careful about insuring your instruments through your homeowners insurance. If you have ever been paid to play, or even played out whereby your services could be considered a donation with cash value, there is a good chance your claim will be denied by your homeowners insurance. I went back and forth with my homeowners carrier over this issue and never got an answer that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, so I insured with Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance. There are also a couple of other specialty insurers for instruments.

No
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Something that’s hard to do on a mando is to put an AirTag inside it. I have them in all my guitars where they are hidden. I can get to them to change the batteries when changing strings. Depending on your case construction you may be able to hide one in it.

10. The following members say thank you to David Bellino for this post:

Favorite instrument insurance providers?

No.

And at this point in my career, what I've saved would easily cover the theft of two or three instruments.

Ya can't beat the house.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Yes, I have all my instruments insured through Heritage. I am less worried about theft than I am damage or loss as a result of a fire, water damage or storm damage to the house. I could probably pay for replacement if push came to shove, but it seems unnecessary to put aside that amount when insurance is less.

I do second the advice above about making sure that the policy covers what you expect it to cover. Many homeowners policies, to the extent they cover musical instruments at all, do not cover them if they are out of the house, or if they are used for financial return (which can be very broadly defined or interpreted).

As always, YMMV, but I have my instruments insured for the same reason that I insured my house, contents and car.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

14. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

None of my instruments are high dollar ones. That’s a combination of my generally low skill level so I’m not able to take advantage of a premium instrument, and my having a relatively small amount of discretionary income to spend on my hobbies.

I’m winding myself up to treat myself to a “premium“ mandolin as a 60th birthday present to myself in a couple of years, but even then what I consider a premium instrument many regulars would still consider a student grade instrument.

We put ours on the homeowner's insurance.

D.H.

If you put it on your homeowners insurance, use a separate inland marine policy. It covers anywhere except an unlocked vehicle. Gigging is fine
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
    We put ours on the homeowner's insurance.

D.H.
    Check your homeowner policy, though. If you ever gig for pay your instruments may not be covered there.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:

I have a rider from State Farm on my instruments, above and beyond our homeowners policy. Not all that expensive and they've said that items are insured if I sell until received by buyer. I did a spread sheet last year and was surprised at what I thought was the value of everything, vs. a few high end instruments I did have insured.
    Took the detailed spread sheet down to the local music store, where I know the owner and asked that if he agreed on the values, would he write a cover letter saying so. He did and the insurance agent said it was exactly what they needed.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Yes. I have one that is worth A LOT and I could never be comfortable taking it to gigs and festivals if it was not covered through Heritage.
    too many strings

Kenny: "Check your homeowner policy, though. If you ever gig for pay your instruments may not be covered there."

Thanks, I'll have to check. Getting paid is a pretty rare event for me, however.

D.H.

Blog Entries

There are a few insurance providers that specialize in musical instruments. Good idea to go with one of them.

Homeowners insurance may not cover your instruments if they can be considered tools of the trade you are in. For example if you make a penny from a pass the hat, or ever have, or get a dinner for free that others had to pay for, it can be considered work for hire, and your instruments become tools, which are not covered. Read the fine print. If your mandolin is destroyed what will they replace it with. A mandolin shaped object worth what you paid for the instrument 30 years ago?

Some of the benefits of the musically focused insurance providers is that they may allow you to provide the assessment, and you may be able "total" a destroyed instrument, and keep the pieces for a future repair. Things like that. Stuff to consider.

Clarion, Heritage, were the names I was aware of. There are more musician insurance companies around these days. A friend of mine uses Anderson, and Music Pro and Travelers I have heard of. There are others.

A friend of mine gave me this advice: He said before you start looking you should write down on a yellow pad every thing that could possibly happen to your mandolin. All the nightmares. Stolen, stolen not returned, damaged at home, on the road, stolen and returned damaged. Also all the circumstances, in car on the way to a gig, on the way to a jam, on the way to camping, carried in a moving van, on an airplane, shipped through mail carrier, loaned to a friend, being given a test drive by a potential purchaser, etc. Playing a gig of course, but as a sole proprietor or guest artist or member of the band? Pet damage, African Grey Parrots, other peoples kids, Just a big massive list of everything you can think of. Take a few days at it. Ask friends and band mates. Everything you can think of. Spend several cups of coffee making this list.

The point is that when start to review and compare the fine print of these insurance companies, you are not dependant on what they thought of, you have your own independently derived "what about this" list you can consult, in addition to their lists.

Shop around. This insurance is not cheap. But I believe this a circumstance where saving money may not be worth the money saved.

Good luck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

24. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan S. View Post
    Favorite instrument insurance providers?
    Another vote for Heritage Insurance. I've had 2 claims and they were very quick and helpful in resolving the issues.

https://musicins.com/
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Yes I do, I have them on my home owner's policy.

Allstate and separate riders. Cover whether in the house or out playing with the band, damaged or stolen. Worth the piece of mind.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There are a few insurance providers that specialize in musical instruments. Good idea to go with one of them.

Shop around. This insurance is not cheap. But I believe this a circumstance where saving money may not be worth the money saved.
    Well said. My sentiments as well.

There are many things that can happen to various instruments, and coverage varies. Those with vintage or custom instruments that cannot be or are not easily replaced will want to look into coverage for diminution in value in the case of damage that can be repaired, but results in a reduced value.

I am glad I have the insurance.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I just figure my homeowner's pretty much covers 'em.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)