Thread: Jimmy Gaudreau

Default Jimmy Gaudreau

Just listening to a live Tony Rice Unit show & remembering how much I enjoy Jimmy Gaudreau's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMm38GGxZmk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jimmy Gaudreau

I'll say Nick. Jimmy is a genius player...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

mr. gaudreau was responsible for a landmark c.d. called "mandolin monsters" no longer avaliable, each song is by a different player ..and everryone from dan Tyminski
    to steffey and many others are smokin hot . gaudreau put it all together and also he plays some great solo's on bill emersons "home of the red fox
    along with rice. this is a fantastic album really showing what jimmy can do. im sure he's on others as well but these 2 are my favorites long live jimmy gaudreau!!!!

I first heard Jimmy Gaudreau with Robin and Linda Williams. It was a live show and I had never heard of him before. He really made the band a lot better. I heard them several times with him and one time with a fiddle player after he left. It was still good but not to the same level without him. He never displayed any fireworks in that ensemble but fit perfectly with nice tasteful leads, accompaniment and fills. It was some time later I found out his history and just how good he is.

The most recent time I heard him was at IBMA a few years ago. He was sitting in with John Starling's Carolina Star Band backing up Emmy Lou Harris. Again perfect, tasteful playing and accompaniment. In this case singing harmonies with John and Emmy Lou as well.

An amazing musician.

The one person who reminds me of his taste and melodic sense, for some reason, is Emory Lester.

Blog Entries

Wow after like 8 months I remembered my login password-NEAT! Well and I've been busy with deaths in the family! Jimmy G. is a phenomenal player, and in my mind super underrated! He was good friends with my uncles and played and recorded with Great Uncle Dick Smith in 1974 for the Country Store record "there is an old youtube video of Jimmy and Uncle Dick parking lot picking with Country Store in 74 at Bean Blossom-at the end Uncle Gene with Adcock II Generation playing at the end-its great stuff, then in the early 80's when they both did stints with Charlie Waller-Country Gentlemen! Also, when Jimmy left bands my other Uncle Gene Johnson was called to do the mando and tenor work from II Generation, J Crowe and the New South just a few that ring my bell! Pease keep Uncle Dick's family and Gene and my cousins in your prayers as Uncle Dick passed away a few months ago and Auntie June Johnson also passed "Uncle Gene's wife" I'll sure miss them as I spent countless hours with them through the years! I talked to Uncle Gene 2 days ago and he's doing but still majorly bummed out! Here's a great little fact that Jimmy said back in the 70's "Hey Jimmy what do you think of Gene's mando playing? Jimmy said wicked man wicked" God Bless

Blog Entries

Hope this works-well worth the listen, Jimmy is playing his old 28 Fern-same batch as the one I had, Also Bobby Osbornes. Dean Webb, Earl Taylor etc. Ferns from the same batch! and Uncle Gene is playing Feb.18th 24 Loar #75305! Enjoy, well and Duffey stroking the DUCK! In this guys mind Duffey WAS the best Tenor ever!

8. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I was fortunate enough to see a Tony Rice / The Country Gentlemen double bill in London, Ontario in the '80s.
    Jimmy (who was playing mandolin for The Gentlemen) stood in on the fly to play with Tony. You could tell he was a bit nervous, but he pulled it off flawlessly.
    It was great to see him later on be asked to join the Tony Rice Unit.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

Here's a great live Gents show with Jimmy G. and Uncle Dick! They were all on big time in this show! Enjoy!

Second what jherm has said. Home of the Red Fox album by Bill Emerson is certainly one of my all time favorite instrumental albums. And Jimmy Geadreau's breaks are a master lesson in how to play clean and artful mandolin. Just an incredible album.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Timely. I just listened to a great podcast with Jimmy going through his history, followed by a deep dive on Spotify. Love his playing: great chop, very melodic understated lead lines which are deceptively difficult. His playing is among the best. Seems like a very nice guy too.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000553194259
    Or
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5W2...QGWwPpRLazsoNA

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jellwoo For This Useful Post: