Thread: Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

Default Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

I hope this link works. It's from Twitter and while I've embedded many's a YouTube video, I haven't, as far as I can remember, pasted a Twitter link before.

Anyway, the video features Christy Moore singing "Nancy Spain" with a young lad by the name of Míceál at a concert in Armagh (county town of the county where I grew up, so you'll forgive me a moment of "Ard Macha Abú!").

The story goes that Christy was playing a gig and young Míceál was in the front row. Christy saw him singing along to all the songs and after a while invited him up onstage to sing with him. You'd have a heart of stone not to be moved by the sheer generosity of Christy's invite and by the joy the wee lad is experiencing when he's up on the boards with one of his musical heroes. The looks that pass between them are so uplifting and Christy's gentle encouragement is lovely to watch.

This is a man who plays to packed audiences throughout the world. A man who shares the stage with the absolute cream of musical talent. Who can make a phone call and get the most astonishingly talented and seasoned musicians to appear on his albums. Whose pedigree is unquestionable. And it brought a lump to my throat to witness someone with such a profile to be humble and kind and encouraging in the most human and touching manner. Fair play to you, Christy! You've a big heart! And fair play to Míceál, who'll doubtless treasure the memory for a lifetime.

https://twitter.com/christymoore45/s...PbJ5jZ9eQWKfTA

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aidan Crossey For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

wow! I really did enjoy that! Indeed it puts a lump in your throught. Thank you very much. It is the begining of day where I am and a great way to start a day!

4. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

Thank you for posting this.
    You know, strings, straps, oval hole, f hole, A style, F style... none of that is as important as kindness.

Joseph W Baker

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Baker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    wow! I really did enjoy that! Indeed it puts a lump in your throught. Thank you very much. It is the begining of day where I am and a great way to start a day!
    Glad it got your day off to a great start. And I hope it continued in similar vein. Aidan

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Baker View Post
    You know, strings, straps, oval hole, f hole, A style, F style... none of that is as important as kindness.

Joseph W Baker
    Agreed. But strings, straps, oval vs Fs, etc comes a close second. :-)

Such a beautifully memorable incident. That wee lad will tell this story for the rest of his life, as will so many of the folk who were there when it happened.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Christy is a legend. Even this old time mountain music guy knows who he is. Class act.

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Blog Entries

No matter the musician or anyone in general I've learned that any attempt at true kindness will go a long way! None of us are promised tomorrow but each day one should try and do, be a better person all the time! It costs nothing to do minor things for folks as all have troubles and trials. Smile, open doors, take a shopping cart back for someone etc. Maybe one act of kindness may just help save someone from them doing horrible things! If more folks acted in true kindness the world would sure be a better place! May God shine on ya'll.

14. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Such a beautifully memorable incident. That wee lad will tell this story for the rest of his life, as will so many of the folk who were there when it happened.
    Yep...

It brought more than a lump to the throat it seriously brought a tear to my eye. A departed great friend of mine used to sing this song and it has great memories for me and to see Christy getting a young fella up to sing it made me cry. Is fear iontach tú Christy (Ard Mhacha go deo go deimhin).

17. The following members say thank you to David Kennedy for this post:

Now, Aidan, to come at it from the opposite direction ...

My wife and I were watching Christy Moore at the Music Hall in Aberdeen some years ago, nowhere near the front, but up the back and up on the balcony.
    The person right in front of us was singing along loudly with every word (not always the right word, but hey, and not very tunefully) of every song.
    Eventually she said to him, "Hey min, we're here to hear Christy Moore, nae you"

That was her all over and also brings a lump to my throat!
    Bren

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    It brought more than a lump to the throat it seriously brought a tear to my eye. A departed great friend of mine used to sing this song and it has great memories for me and to see Christy getting a young fella up to sing it made me cry. Is fear iontach tú Christy (Ard Mhacha go deo go deimhin).
    Memories stirred by those sorts of musical associations can be unexpectedly heart-breaking. I had a dear friend who used to sing - very badly, as he himself would have freely admitted - Eileen Óg. Although it's a comic song, I can never listen to it without at least a twinge (and sometimes an outright gut-punch) of sadness. But I'm sure your friend would have appreciated the fact that "his" song is being carried on by a younger generation. Thanks for sharing your story, David. It's reminded me of my friend and the fondness I had for him and the good times we had together. Aidan

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    That was her all over and also brings a lump to my throat!
    Living with memories of loved ones who have quit the stage is hard, Bren. I hope that sharing those memories somehow makes the loss a little easier.

And again from a different perspective, for all of Christy's warmth and generosity in the clip I shared, he has another side to his personality. The last time I went to see him, pre-pandemic, some buck eejit was roaring and shouting at him throughout the gig. About half an hour in, Christy stopped mid-song, flared his nostrils and said "Security. Can you find the **** in the third seat in from the left, fourth row and throw him out. And give him back his ******* money on the way out." The person I was with looked a bit shocked. But I thought fair play. Like your wife, I'd come to hear Mr Moore and not some drunken loudmouth gowling and crowing.

Having said that, the best retort to bad audience behaviour I've ever heard was from Ronnie Drew at a Dubliners' concert. Throughout the gig some hallion was shouting "THE POOOOOGUES" and "SHAAAAAAANE". (It was around about the time that the Dubs and The Pogues had released their version of The Irish Rover.). Ronnie said at one stage, with that rough-as-chuff bass voice of his, "LX, can you shine a light on your man down there who keeps shouting. I want to see if the rest of him's as big as his mouth." There wasn't another peep out of him!

22. The following members say thank you to Aidan Crossey for this post: