Thread: Mandocello question: should I add strap button, and K&K pickup?

Default Mandocello question: should I add strap button, and K&K pickup?

So, I have a K&K pickup in a used Collings MT2 via the tailpiece of that mandolin, and it's super fun. But reading about other people's eventual issues with such adhesive pickups (either the pickups peeling off the wood, or the jack corroding in time), I'm thinking I should probably not modify my (over $6k valued) mandocello at all.

My Collings MT2 mandolin K&K pickup started cutting out this morning, so I got a bit nervous, and as a result I started having second thoughts about modifying my mandocello in the same way. Playing with various factors, I could not replicate the "cutting out" however, so I won't borrow trouble for now and hope my mandolin's K&K keeps working decently for the foreseeable future.

Just for backstory context, I bought my 2005 MT2 used from a Guitar Center in L.A., and the original owner had installed the K&K, which I would've never thought of. It's fun, but probably unnecessary for most stage performances, not to mention definitely reduces the value of the instrument and probably nullifies any warranty.

I don't want to be precious about my mandocello, but perhaps some instruments are best played only sitting down, and if on stage via a microphone (i.e. thinking of my mandocello here).

Am I over thinking this? If you have/had a mandocello, do you think it would be worth while to both drill a strap button into the treble-side of the neck-heel, and also put a K&K pickup via the tailpiece? Or just leave the mandocello totally unadulterated?

I thought it sounded like a fun "stage setup" idea, but upon further thought, maybe I'll just keep my mandocello strictly sit-down acoustic. Ya know?

Thanks for humoring my instrument neurosis forum!

Default Re: Mandocello question: should I add strap button, and K&K picku

I think only you know the answer to this: if we think of our instruments as "tools for make music", the question is does it do what YOU need it to do? Can you play gigs with it without issues? How noisy is your stage environment?

In short, if you don't want to modify the instrument, then you need to get out there and try it out with microphone-based solutions and see how you get on. Might be fine, might not. Depends entirely on the gig environment, and the kind of music you're playing.

3. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

I have a 1912 Gibson K4 ($10K) and was reluctant to make any changes; finally had to have modern tuners as the originals were slightly bent from stress. But the beauty of these instruments is in the power and sustain, and sticking a pickup in it seems like making it a whole different instrument. Admittedly, I don't know audio tech and pickup details, and I do have one inserted in my Stiver F5.
    I use a strap, as two of my teachers recommend it, but still play it seated unless some unusual circumstance like playing anthem at a ball park. It came with a peg on the belly end and I loop a heavy string behind the nut. But I think seated with a good microphone is closest to natural. Besides, I hate the way many venues just keep boosting the amp as people talk louder and louder over the music!
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

"Am I over thinking this? If you have/had a mandocello, do you think it would be worth while to both drill a strap button into the treble-side of the neck-heel, and also put a K&K pickup via the tailpiece? Or just leave the mandocello totally unadulterated?"

I have an Eastman M/C (oval hole), and while it certainly isn't as precious as your M/C, I did add a strap button on the treble side of the neck and do use a strap most of the time, even while sitting. For me, sitting, without a strap, demands I raise my left knee to obtain a comfortable position, using a small stool, ala what many classical guitarists use.

I also use a pickup. Since I have an oval-hole instrument, I went for the L R Baggs Anthem via the tailpin. It works very well in this application.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

7. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Blog Entries

I don't use a strap with my bowlback mandoloncello and although the Oakwood I used prior to that had strap buttons & I kept one on it, I rarely bothered using it.
    As I use a guitar stand for keeping the 'cello when not in use, I use that as a foot prop when playing standing. A piece of non slip cloth (Zupefertuch) over the raised leg and it's very solidly set while playing. Sitting down the bodies on these things are so big they tend to set just right without any effort.

Not considered a pick up on any of mine.
    Mics seem to do very well with the 'cellos and octaves, pointed just back from the neck joint is a good initial target for a stand mounted one.
    You can get guitar sized clips for most of the body mounted ones, or put a lavalier type on a rubber string mount behind the bridge which I do with the violoncello and mandoloncello.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

A pickup "cutting out" is usually a bad cord or wiring of the pickup to the output jack. First thing to do when it is encountered is switch cords.

I've mounted JJB piezoelectric soundboard transducers on a whole bunch of instruments - fiddles, ukulele, mandolins, octave mandolins, mandola, mandocellos, banjos and a LOT of guitars.

I always mount them on the underside of the soundboard right opposite the bridge feet (or as close as bracing/tone bars allow) using Loc-tite blue putty. Some of them were installed over 10 years ago now.

The output jack depends on interior access to the instrument. On a regular guitar with a standard center sound hole the Switchcraft switch jack is great. On a fiddle or mandolin with f holes I use a screw-in type as there's no getting hands or even fingers inside, and the jack itself won't fit through the holes.

I add strap buttons on every fretted instrument to allow playing while standing.
    Last edited by Mandobart; Oct-16-2022 at 6:36pm.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Forgot about the cutting out question: check the jack socket - the "prong" that engages with the jack is the only moving part and it does eventually get bent out of shape and you loose a reliable connection. If the jack is of the enclosed type (for example switchcraft as supplied by K&K) then the only option is to replace the socket. Happened to me in the middle of a gig a few years back and it was mighty embarrassing, but should only be a once in 10 years event!

The first thing I do when an instrument is cutting out, or making crackling noises is, clean the jack ground with alcohol. This area makes very light contact and can oxidize. The signal is very weak here and can be hampered by the oxidation. I use a q-tip and alcohol and scrub the round part of the jack. The tip has pressure and cleans itself when you plug in and out, but the barrel of the jack just doesn't have much contact so really doesn't get cleaned when plugging and unplugging. I find this is the problem more than a bad cord, tho a bad cord can certainly be the cause.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I had a Weber Yellowstone A style MC a few years ago. Rather than install a strap button at the neck I just attached it above the nut (actually above the first set of tuning pegs to keep it out of the way. Played it standing at church several times.

For what I used it for I never felt the need for a pickup, but I usually played it in reasonably quiet environments, not noisy bars or with loud drums. I like my instruments and definitely don’t abuse them, but also feel they’re tools for making music, not museum pieces. Do what you need to do to make yours perform how you need it…
    Chuck