Thread: Soares'y Guitars octave mandolin

Default Soares'y Guitars octave mandolin

I realize that this is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with Soares'y Guitars' electric octave mandolins? If so, and you could give me your thoughts, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Mike

Default Re: Soares'y Guitars octave mandolin

My Eastwood electric is a 23' and it is stretchy at times for me, I have it tuned GDAE.
    That Soares'y looks similar to the Eastwood but the bridge looks more like a regular mandolin, the Eastwood is more of Telecaster type bridge
    The Eastwood is semi hollow body and I'm not sure about the difference in electronics.
    The Soares'y looks like a solid body. Seems decent enough and the price is reasonable.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Yep, Simon DS, the one in Reverb is the one. I need (okay, "need" might be a little strong -- would like) an octave mandolin. I have played a number of much more expensive ones, but haven't found one I like. Although I am sure that there are very good ones out there, I was thinking of taking a chance with this Soares'y. However, recognizing that it was unlikely -- from what I can tell, the shop is small and does not make a lot of octave mandolins, although it definitely makes some -- I thought that I would check to see if anyone had any experience with the builder.

And thanks for your thoughts about your Eastwood, tmsweeney. I recently bought an Eastwood regular mandolin. The voice is okay, but I am not pleased so far with the tuners. However, I just got it and may not have given the strings time to stretch (although it sounds like you may be having a similar problem).

At any rate, thanks for the thoughts.

I would say the stings have a "slinky" feel, I haven't changed them since I bought it though, haven't had a problem with the tuners as of yet.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    My Eastwood electric is a 23' and it is stretchy at times for me, I have it tuned GDAE.
    That Soares'y looks similar to the Eastwood but the bridge looks more like a regular mandolin, the Eastwood is more of Telecaster type bridge
    The Eastwood is semi hollow body and I'm not sure about the difference in electronics.
    The Soares'y looks like a solid body. Seems decent enough and the price is reasonable.
    A 23-foot scale would be a stretch even for most octopus! Talk about neck dive!

Michael Kang of String Cheese Incident has played a range of electric mandolins with many of them being octave mandos. He’s been discussed around her so a search would be productive. I’ve no idea if he ever played a Soares’y, though he may well have tried one at least.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

I haven't played a Soares'y though have been interested in them as well. I have an Eastwood Delta 4 with the same scale length, which I like but have to change chord voicings. I think the shorter scale lengths in the 18-20" range are a more ideal but that's more of a personal preference. I'd like to try one but not enough to buy one
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Holy smokes somebody read my post!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Sorry -- I was slow on the uptake as to what you meant by "stretchy" -- in the context of the sentence, it should have been absolutely clear to me. Thanks to Kenny and urobouros for weighing in.