Thread: Waverly tuners on Reverb

Default Waverly tuners on Reverb

The seller describes as "Great set of Rare Waverly’s mandolin tuners" on FB Marketplace, not Reverb, at $350.00.

I'm not sure I'd use "great" to describe these:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-967b1da665c9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waverly tuners.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	203778  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Waverly tuners on Reverb

Could be restored fairly easily if you had the parts -- but not at that price.

The good news is the shafts are still all there.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

And only 5 of the cog-end screws (for tensioning/drag?) are missing.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

It looks like the gear with the Phillips screw is wrong, so just one cog but I would imagine anyone buying these would be tuning post, button and cog rich.

I love FB standard message: “Almost gone! Only one left!” This guy is trying to clear out years of accumulated stuff like I need to do. He is a bit delusional. He has a flattop guitar from the fifties which he describes as a copy of an L-5.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Delusions are cooperative for the most part: some might find major ones even in discussions of little mandolins. Besides, one of the best amusements is to present something as satire or parody and have folks take it as truth - and send you money.
    But I draw the line at calling those bits of metal scrap “deco”.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    one of the best amusements is to present something as satire or parody and have folks take it as truth - and send you money.

But I draw the line at calling those bits of metal scrap “deco”.
    The internet has allowed people to find their "pigeon" for overpriced junk, or at least made it easier, especially if you live in a low-populated area. Not that these tuner parts are junk, they are just severely overpriced.

The term "art deco" has been severely overused by the antique mall community for years. I remember snickering at fools labeling 70's K-mart stuff as deco in these malls for years....got to be so commonplace, that deco became the default for anything "quirky." Nowadays, I've noticed "mid-century modern" is the newer replacement term for anything that looks 50's or 60's and often overused incorrectly, as well, IMHO.

Frustrating, I know, but even stupid people have to make a living somehow.....
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-20-2022 at 1:33pm.

Blog Entries

Actually, these restored with period correct parts as long as the worm gears+ button shafts aren't bent, I do see some corrosion or remnants of brazing on the one side laying down. These would be very desirable for a late 20's early 30's Gibson F-5! Is it worth the chance? Restored they could bring up to 3K to someone who needs them!