Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jubal Mandola F style

Default Jubal Mandola F style

It will be interesting to see what this makes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/11557202229...Bk9SR5TLnMz-YA

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jubal Mandola F style

It sure looks very nice, never heard of that brand. But it sure doesn't look like say a standard H-5 Dola. Looks like an F-5 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    It sure looks very nice, never heard of that brand. But it sure doesn't look like say a standard H-5 Dola. Looks like an F-5 to me.
    Mr. Cowles was a good builder. As mentioned, he used to work for Gibson and Heritage. I owned a Jumbo guitar he made for a while. Had a huge neck and sounded like a cannon.

He is on the list of folks who signed F-5 mandolins for Gibson.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Found this video by Mr. Cowles son.

Lots of good information in writing below the video (statement and comments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M66kUGBtHU

I'm finding it difficult to stop my hands from bidding.

I've asked for measurements.
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-20-2022 at 7:22am.

That looks really nice. Luckily I already have a mandola, as my hands would be tempted as well. Also, I just bought a mandolinetto last night, which I have not yet 'fessed up to (I'll show it to you in another thread).
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

The only measurements he sent were... Nut is approximately 1.25 and the scale is a comfy 15.75.

Well, that's the Gibson scale. I would imagine the instrument is the same as an H-5 but with more frets because of that fingerboard extension.

11. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

What is the possibility of this being a fake? Is anyone familiar with AARON COWLES labels and work?.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    What is the possibility of this being a fake? Is anyone familiar with AARON COWLES labels and work?.
    While only owning one guitar he made, am confident it's his label. The one on the guitar was identical except for the "made for..." information was not on mine.

I also don't see any reason for folks wanting to copy his instruments. He has a bit of a following for his copy of the Gibson Jumbo, but that's mainly because folk singer Greg Brown played one. If you were making a mandolin you might make as much money with your name on it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I found this label (on a copy of a citation guitar). Surprised there aren't any bids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aaron Cowles.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	203880  

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    ... Surprised there aren't any bids.
    Maybe the interested party or parties are waiting till the end so that they (hopefully) don't inadvertently trigger a flurry of early bids and drive up the price.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

17. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

The only thing that raises a flag for me is the truss rod cover. That's more like an import than a Gibson and the mandolin in the linked Youtube video is a Gibson style truss rod cover. Either way if it sounds good and plays well I'd say have it.

Obviously pre-everyone having access to at least an inket printer. I think if anyone was going to fake an F style mandola they would have put Gibson on the headstock. Does anyone happen to know the guy it was made for that is listed on the label?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Maybe the interested party or parties are waiting till the end so that they (hopefully) don't inadvertently trigger a flurry of early bids and drive up the price.
    This is a mandola, and F-style, and little-known maker, and high opening bid. Combine those things, and there aren’t going to be a lot of people interested. All it takes is for either a Cowles fan or a rabid bespoke collector to push the price up significantly, but there’d be more headroom if the seller was perhaps better known, and capable, for example, of tracking down a buzzing tailpiece or providing measurements. He’s got a banjolin listed also starting at $1k.

21. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Blog Entries

If one can get it, its pry worth it if they want a Dola as the imports are way more cash than 1K if there are no bids on her yet! Too me it looks great, finish, woods used, etc. It looks like a different scale than say my 24 H-5 and my 24 TL convert to Dola, also to me it looks more like an F-5 than an H-5 in the scroll area. Is there a case for it? We know "who's into Dola's anyway" that H-5 type cases are super tough to find, when and if you do find one, they aren't too cheap either-for an H-5 case if you had to get one made, I'm guessing close to 600 bucks! I know to have one made for say an A style Dola they were well over 400 bucks-that was the price for the case for the 1924 Gibson TL that got converted and that was many moons ago Happy bidding kids!

Ok, I just looked closely at all the pix, its way worth it if one doesn't hike up the bidding too much-no bids yet with 5 days? Also, there is a nice tweed shaped case for it-the seller looks legit to me.

23. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I wonder if that smaller F5 body would produce a satisfying amount of bass for a mandola.

For a mere $94,000 more I could get this 1924 Gibson H-5 Mandola https://cartervintage.com/products/g...5-mandola-1924

The signature would be easier to verify.

I did a google search for John Schippers... no mandola players from what I could find.

What does ' pry worth mean ? '

Baffles me, Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    What does ' pry worth mean ? '

Baffles me, Dave H
    Ha, that gets a lot of people, Akira O. gets a kick out of that as does my friend Hendrik A. who posts here! Its slang from my neck of the woods that my family uses for "PROBABLY"

Seek, and you shall find. Bill Halsey appears to have known Mr. Cowles

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...on-Cowles-obit

He may or may not know anything about this mandola, but for those of you who are acquainted with him might reach out to him. The rattling tailpiece could be a really simple fix. Or not.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

28. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

More info on Mr. Cowles

https://youtu.be/WsCIAboHDeI

I’ve played one or two of his guitars. They were nice, and would not drain your wallet.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

30. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I imagine being sold as a project would scare off the casual player/buyer. A mandola also would reduce the number of prospective buyers. I often will take a chance and speculate on instruments that need issues sorted out as I enjoy the work. This one seems like low risk but for anyone who has been trying to sell musical instruments of late knows, the market has slowed down.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

32. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

People are wary of scams. Even on Reverb, which used to be fairly safe and policed, there’s a lot of shenanigans going on.

If only I needed another mandola.

William Smith points out this Jubal is not the same shape as a Gibson H5 mandola. Instead it looks like a scaled-up F5 shape. The few modern Gibson F-syle mandolas I have seen seem to follow this approach. I have one made by Dave Gregory of York, England, also a scaled-up F5 rather than an H5 copy. Why Gibson changed the body shape from the classic F5 - their mandolas have a curious unattractive 'hunched' look in the scroll area - is puzzling. Does anyone know why?
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

35. The following members say thank you to Anglocelt for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    William Smith points out this Jubal is not the same shape as a Gibson H5 mandola. Instead it looks like a scaled-up F5 shape. The few modern Gibson F-syle mandolas I have seen seem to follow this approach. I have one made by Dave Gregory of York, England, also a scaled-up F5 rather than an H5 copy. Why Gibson changed the body shape from the classic F5 - their mandolas have a curious unattractive 'hunched' look in the scroll area - is puzzling. Does anyone know why?
    I don't think Gibson has made an H-5 since the 30's but I may be wrong. If you say you've seen a few modern Gibson F-style mandolas I believe you as they do have the custom shop that will build ya what ya want so they must be very rare as its not say a "production model" Thanks.

I think Anglocelt is referring to modern interpretations of F5 mandolas, not a Gibson branded mandola per say, but I could be mistaken.

As for the approach, Hans Brentrup followed the same scaling up approach to making an F5 style mandola, or at least that was how he explained it to me.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

The label looks the same as this reverb sale two years ago

https://reverb.com/item/37601019-jub...bacco-sunburst

Different price, and a different truss rod cover