Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the story behind the "scroll"

Default Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

I think the supporting mass (i.e. scroll and point blocks) shouldn't dampen the sound, as long as the vibrating mass (the top and back) can still vibrate freely. Else, banjos wouldn't be so loud.

Also, subtle changes in sound chamber shape can affect tone a lot, as demonstrated by different guitar body shapes.

I wouldn't expect these changes to make a bigger difference than, say, sound hole shape, but I would expect them to make some difference.

Blog Entries

Another part of the equation -- I do have a number of pro guitar and mandolin player friends who strongly believe that X-brand tuners improve tone on an instrument because of their weight. I don't have experience with those particular tuners so I cannot comment, but I know if I paid the cost required for them I'd hope that they improve tone.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Who knows where we hear stories and if they are fact based or not? I always heard the scrolls were put on other instruments to emulate the scroll on the peg head of a violin? Turn the scroll on it’s side.. we have mandolin scroll.
    Play em like you know em!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    I think the supporting mass (i.e. scroll and point blocks) shouldn't dampen the sound, as long as the vibrating mass (the top and back) can still vibrate freely. Else, banjos wouldn't be so loud. ...
    ... And also, associated to the reason archtop tone ring banjos tend to sound brighter than flathead tone ring banjos.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Regarding the construction of the scroll. It could affect the tone.

I have a brand new MF, and the portion of the scroll that I can see through the F-hole is hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    Regarding the construction of the scroll. It could affect the tone.

I have a brand new MF, and the portion of the scroll that I can see through the F-hole is hollow.
    There's generally but not always a sliver that is hollow on the outside edge part way around but by the time you get to the curl of the scroll it will be solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InsideF.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	203840  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    There's generally but not always a sliver that is hollow on the outside edge part way around but by the time you get to the curl of the scroll it will be solid.
    Thanks

9. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

I believe that "Scroll" is a contraction of "Scrofula"
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Back to OP, story behind the scroll … answer has already been given. The short, down & dirty version is that Gibson is largely responsible. The harp guitars and such with the scroll were designed in the same era by Gibson … and Bill Monroe is largely responsible for the mandolin’s continuing popularity in folk music and the desirability of F style instruments.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Here is the story of "the scroll" It's originally from God, it's in plants, our own ears, critter tails-all sacred geometry! A very beautiful thing indeed in all its forms from nature to ancient architecture. Thats my take, take it or leave it.

13. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    I am going to mention the harp guitar again... I think the scroll helped make the extended upper bout on the bass side look less like an ungainly bulbous protrusion and more like part of the design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harp_guitar.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	203836
    You posted a Gibson harp guitar. We are talking about influences on Gibson to do scrolls to instruments. Harp guitars were not the first instruments to have scrolls and among Gibson production were just among the other scrolled models. Harp guitars made by other makers prior to Gibson did not necessarily have scrolls.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

In reference to dhergert's assersion that the Tone-Gard effects tone, I would have to say a beer-gut to the back will effect it even more.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

Violins had them first (well after the fern began millions of years ago)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    In reference to dhergert's assersion that the Tone-Gard effects tone, I would have to say a beer-gut to the back will effect it even more.
    Agreed!

And just to be clear, I didn't necessarily mean that because of the added mass a ToneGard in any way diminishes mandolin sound.

In my opinion normally a ToneGard and other things that add vibrating mass to a mandolin (and many other instruments) improves sound -- as long as they are installed in a way and in a location that does not mute the main vibrating surfaces. That's also part of the Virzi concept.

But the problem with sound and human hearing is that we all perceive things differently. We can't get away from that.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You posted a Gibson harp guitar. We are talking about influences on Gibson to do scrolls to instruments. Harp guitars were not the first instruments to have scrolls and among Gibson production were just among the other scrolled models. Harp guitars made by other makers prior to Gibson did not necessarily have scrolls.
    Were Gibson's harp guitars the first necked musical instruments to have the same kind of scrolls as a F-style mandolin? They seem to have come out very close to the same time. I think the first harp guitars were around 1902 ?

Of course scrolls have been used on musical instruments for a long time... 1200 BC? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ivory_plaque_from_Megiddo_IAA_1938-780.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	203846

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantoj For This Useful Post:

If you don't like people's opinions on this, just scroll past them

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bazz Jass For This Useful Post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    If you don't like people's opinions on this, just scroll past them
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DelayedLimitedGrouper-max-1mb.gif 
Views:	24 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	203857  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Here's a recent Fretboard Journal article on a turn-of-the-20th-century scrolled mandolin built by Orville Gibson. I've seen nothing to disprove the generally-held position that he introduced the scroll into mandolin body construction -- as he did the violin-carved top.

Also, I've seen no credible evidence that the scroll was considered other than ornamentation -- reserved for Gibson's more expensive mandolin series. I happen to find the graceful curvature of the scroll an enhancement to the mandolin's silhouette, but recognize that others disagree (often strongly). As to the OP's question, Gibson's scrolled mandolins were their higher-end models, and therefore could be assumed to be "better" instruments. Their elaborate ornamented design was -- and remains -- quite distinctive, so pro mandolinists in search of a performance instrument would likely gravitate toward them. Gibson at the time (early 20th century) was very aggressive in their marketing, and Gibson mandolins, including F-models, were seen in the hands of famous mandolin players.

Whatever one may think of the utility of the scroll, the design has surely persisted, adopted by mandolin builders world-wide. I've said several times that Gibson surely missed the boat by not patenting, or at least trademarking, the scroll-&-points mandolin body design. If every Asian-produced F-model mansion had to pay some sort of royalty to use the design, Gibson would have many fewer revenue issues, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I have 1 of each. The 1910 F4 and a 1911 Style u. Its all I could afford.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15D395CA-F600-47F0-8B8C-0D8A256704FB.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	203877

Whatever one may think of the utility of the scroll, the design has surely persisted, adopted by mandolin builders world-wide. I've said several times that Gibson surely missed the boat by not patenting, or at least trademarking, the scroll-&-points mandolin body design. If every Asian-produced F-model mansion had to pay some sort of royalty to use the design, Gibson would have many fewer revenue issues, IMHO.
    There have been several lawsuits that have come to a final conclusion that you cannot patent or copyright the body shape of an instrument. I'm sure they would do it if it was a possibility.

At the time Orville Gibson was developing his innovative mandolin designs, Art Nouveau (aka Jugendstil, Stile Liberty, Modernisme, Modern Style) was still prominent and considered very modern. Curves predominated the work of graphic designers, furniture makers, and architects in that style, and I think Gibson was just trying to find what was then a contemporary style for his revolutionary instruments. Take a deep dive into the designers in that school and I think you'll see that Gibson was right in stride with that aesthetic.

https://magazine.artland.com/art-movement-art-nouveau/
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

31. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It would be very interesting to get a look at his notebooks or sketch books - if he had any - to see what designs he might have been playing with before he settled on this one.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Use of the scroll in design has been used for millennia. Quote here:
    "Scroll patterns and ornamentation have existed in our culture for millennia; examples were found in the Palace of Knossos at Minoan Crete from around 1800 B.C., but some believe the Egyptians and Mesopotamians also adorned architecture and textiles in scrolling patterns based on the observation of real plants, sometimes featuring fruit, animals and birds. Many Roman Stucchi also featured ornate curling leaf or plant-based patterning, which would later have a profound impact on the Italian Renaissance."
    Source of quote: https://blog.fabrics-store.com/2020/...croll-pattern/

Additional quote: "Every violin, viola and cello has a scroll whose only real function is to be beautiful and to showcase the skill of the maker.
    The distinctive scroll found at the top of fine violins, violas and cellos is a purely decorative woodcarving that showcases the violinmaker’s skill as a maker and craftsman. The concept originated in the Baroque era."
    Source of quote: https://www.benningviolins.com/violi...he-scroll.html

The oldest Orville Gibson mandolin I saw had the scroll, but the instrument itself was very crudely made. Looked like he made it on his kitchen table or garage with simple hand tools.

I think even in this era the scroll displays the skill of the builder, but does not mean the instrument sounds or plays better. The same skilled builder can make a superb instrument with any body shape.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    ... Additional quote: "Every violin, viola and cello has a scroll whose only real function is to be beautiful and to showcase the skill of the maker.
    The distinctive scroll found at the top of fine violins, violas and cellos is a purely decorative woodcarving that showcases the violinmaker’s skill as a maker and craftsman. The concept originated in the Baroque era."
    Source of quote: https://www.benningviolins.com/violi...he-scroll.html ...
    That's an interesting quote, but I don't think you'll find that every viol-family instrument player/owner agrees that the scrolls have no affect on sound. Some people go to extreme lengths to keep the original scrolls on upgraded instruments, and at least part of the reason among some people is a belief that the scroll affects sound.

That said, it's another thing that is impossible to prove one way or another. I'm not weighing in on it except to say that technically it is possible.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]