Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the story behind the "scroll"

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

A lot of people have been posting opinions and assumptions without any facts to back them up. Yes, I include myself, even though I've been conscientious in using terms such as "I believe" to indicate this. I believe I've never seen such a discouraging lack of empirical data to prove assertions regaring a topic of discussion. I'm surprised there isn't someone in the brain trust who has seen or heard something from someone somewhere to confirm what so far has only been conjecture. I'm still on the side of those who believe the scroll is primarily aesthetic, not acoustic, but I'm open to believing otherwise if someone can show some research to prove it.

But it probably ain't no part of nothin', even if it is pretty purty.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

In my opinion, a headstock (or peg box) shape, if mechanically functioning properly, would have, at best, a negligible effect on sound; also, the belief or fear that it may contribute significantly to the sound is probably grounded in superstition. But that is plainly my opinion and I haven’t read any studies that inform my opinion, and others will have different opinions that are equally valid. My opinion may be subject to change in the face of evidence that I deem credible.

Scrolls are pretty cool in my opinion
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Oct-26-2022 at 7:14am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

In my opinion, this is my opinion. And I'm sticking to it or sticking it to myself.
    While there doesn't seem to be any measurable research done that we are aware of, I do think F models sound different than A models. It does seem very likely that the scroll design on a headstock would not affect the volume or tone of the instrument, in the case of the mandolin, the scroll is part of the body and helps to form the air chamber, so it seems like it might affect air movement within the body cavity, which in turn seems like it might affect the tone and volume.
    Or maybe I am just splitting "seems"?
    Is this just a similar comparison to f-hole vs. oval hole? We all know that there is a obvious difference there, don't we?
    All I know is I don't know, but I think I hear a difference. One thing I do know, is that I love them all. Mandolins that is.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nashville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I believe this seems to be the best analysis yet of the issue. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

My view is, it is just for astetics , like a fashion statement. .

Question Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

The Fiddle head part of Fern growth, the Fern itself, is way Precambrian...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Parallels to these design features are in furniture design catering to the look not necessarily any function.
    I picked up this burled oak cabinet along the way through life so I don't know much about it, but it does have scrolls. I came from a British establishment family so it probably came from the other side of the pond who-knows how long ago.

The scroll placement reminds me of ancient Greek and Roman pillars - there's a whole science to those things which probably were the inspiration for this piece of furniture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1200003.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	204154
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Blog Entries

Looks like an homage to the classic Greek Ionic capital decoration.

I find it more interesting to see The Mothers Of Invention's "Over-Nite Sensation" at the top of the stack. Yippee-i-yo-ki-yay!

Name:	Ionic Capital.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	204156

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Talking of the F model design, apart from the scroll (which I actually really like) I dislike the bottom point (near the tailpiece). Even on my beloved 1919 F4. Although it is reckoned to be designed to sort of nestle it in your lap when sitting down, I've always found it to stick into my leg. I've had others say the same so although our eye has become used to seeing the two points and it LOOKS good, I think it would be better without. Don Stienbergs' A/F style doesn;t a have a point there and it looks great.

I once had an F4 copy made without it and it looked fabulous. Sorry for deviating from the scroll on this tread bit it is sort of related.

Gibson designed these mandolins during the late Victorian period,were everything was carved with vines,scrolls and leaves.to put it in perspective,when Gibson was designing mandolins,Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were out west robbing trains..

I don’t know if anyone linked to this article on violin family scrolls but if not, some interesting observations on aesthetics and functions: http://blog.feinviolins.com/2013/04/why-scrolls.html

Also here’s a circa 1900 Schwarzenegger zither from the USD musical instrument museum.

Name:	1153C7D0-FB64-4E6F-8C80-1CABC06C0A94.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	767.7 KB 
ID:	204157
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've had the back off a few F5 style mandolins. I haven't found any stories behind the scrolls.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

15. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    I've had the back off a few F5 style mandolins. I haven't found any stories behind the scrolls.

BTW, Stradivarius did not go with a scroll. Not for a mandolino, anyway.

Name:	Stradivarius Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	204170

Violin influence design, and it looks so darn awesome!

Blog Entries

Yes, the original Strad-O-Lin.

And BTW, it's in the same collection as the zither Jim posted earlier. No idea why or how the U of SD developed such a dedicated passion for collecting such a wide variety of instruments, many of them old, even ancient. When I finally make good on my long-standing promise to myself to go on walkabout (driveabout) and see the country - national parks and oh so many other places - I must visit Vermillion.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Yes, the original Strad-O-Lin.

And BTW, it's in the same collection as the zither Jim posted earlier. No idea why or how the U of SD developed such a dedicated passion for collecting such a wide variety of instruments, many of them old, even ancient. When I finally make good on my long-standing promise to myself to go on walkabout (driveabout) and see the country - national parks and oh so many other places - I must visit Vermillion.
    The museum is well worth going to, even if it is off the beaten path.

Info about the museum here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Music_Museum

The NMM was established around the private musical-instrument collection, numbering approximately 2500 instruments, of Arne B. Larson. Larson's son, Dr. André P. Larson, was the founding director of the museum until his retirement in 2011.
    The Metropolitan Museum in New York is also based on a large collection donated to the museum. Only some of the instruments are on display. I had a friend who was one of the curators and I did have the opportunity to visit the back rooms and see things that the general public rarely does.

One other musical instrument museum is a fairly newish one in Phoenix, AZ, the Musical Instrument Museum: https://mim.org/. Also highly recommended to spend at least the whole day.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...I had a friend who was one of the curators and I did have the opportunity to visit the back rooms and see things that the general public rarely does...
    I had that opportunity once as well. Got to handle Stradivari and Amati violins as well as see all sorts of ancient instruments from all over the world. Quite an experience.

23. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: