Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid-Range Strad 1940s

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Mid-Range Strad 1940s

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post

. . . Stanley Jay told me experts never guess . . .
    Well, Stan Jay was known to make acclaimations that other qualified people considered to be debatable.

I kind of like the horse. I prefer to pass on the rhinestones.

Many years ago, we came across an old Gibson HG-00 guitar [their Hawaiian version of an L-00] that someone had added a wooden inlay of a rising sun to the peghead. It was well done, and likeable. We briefly debated whether to leave it there or to convert it back to its original state. We decided to leave it alone.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-22-2022 at 7:15pm.

2. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

The tailpiece cover from the horse and diamonds mandolin would go nice on the Armstrong.
    And that is a nice case.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

4. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    The tailpiece cover from the horse and diamonds mandolin would go nice on the Armstrong.
    And that is a nice case.
    Yes, nice vintage case. The bottom of the Armstrong is quite bashed in. Beyond fixing IMHO.

6. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Here's what happens if storage conditions are not good- the toll imposed on this old A3 is sad to behold!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28501024020...Bk9SR6ig-riAYQ

Think that Armstrong has been put up for sale before. Look around the tailpiece and it appears to have been crushed in a bit. Hopefully it's stable. But still...

And I do stand corrected. Yes, it does appear the laminated back might have some slight separation. Still think the finish crazing happened due to temperature extremes. But the flaking could be from water or very high humidity damage. Like maybe not soaked, but in a cardboard case that had mildew. Happened to a 1960's Harmony guitar I had as a kid that we kept in our basement that would periodically get water. The case never touched the water, but it was so damp down there it just rotted.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

9. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    I also like the cracking pattern on the top and wouldn’t touch it; but the rest would get stripped and painted. Decal and glass left as is. Or maybe update with cubic zirconia.
    Yes to, Stripping and painting, even if done in your garage with a brown paint rattle-can and frog tape (doesn't need to be fancy). Decal left as is. Glass Rhinestones added where needed (top edge of headstock) in keeping with what was available, at that time. It's gotta match Dolly Partons older outfits... but that's up to you, so CZ's if ya gotta. It's not going to change the value much. I'll be surprised if She brings over $200.

Richard, Are you bidding on this? Is anyone? I'm out, I've got one similar. Where do I get a pickguard bracket? Mike
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-23-2022 at 9:02am.

11. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Well, Stan Jay was known to make acclaimations that other qualified people considered to be debatable...
    Stan wasn't infallible. Stan and I once had a conversation via e-mail where I questioned one of his determinations on an off brand (not Gibson or Martin) instrument he had for sale. He quoted a message on another forum and said "I think this guy has got it right". He was quoting me on that other forum and as far as I know I did have it right.

He was however extremely knowledgeable about the vintage market. But, he had the same problem that a lot of people in the industry had when you got away from the major players like Gibson and Martin. Go back to the beginning of the Internet and you find very little information available about the Harmony, Kay, Regal, Lyon & Healy, Stromberg-Voisenet, and Strad-O-Lin type instruments even though they were out their in large quantities. I have an old copy of Tom Wheeler's American Guitars that misidentifies more than a few manufacturers.

Stan was a great guy that I bought a lot of instruments from over the years. I wish he was still around if for nothing else but the humor he interjected into the industry.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Yes to, Stripping and painting, even if done in your garage with a brown paint rattle-can and frog tape (doesn't need to be fancy). Decal left as is. Glass Rhinestones added where needed (top edge of headstock) in keeping with what was available, at that time. It's gotta match Dolly Partons older outfits... but that's up to you, so CZ's if ya gotta. It's not going to change the value much. I'll be surprised if She brings over $200.

Richard, Are you bidding on this? Is anyone? I'm out, I've got one similar. Where do I get a pickguard bracket? Mike
    That honestly almost sounds worth doing, just for the unique character. I think it's getting too expensive though, with the shipping.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

15. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Pickguard Bracket

There is one on this $13 pickguard but I don't know what the shipping is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/23468105330...Bk9SR_qG_dWAYQ

17. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Stan wasn't infallible.
    Who of us are?

I sold him a bunch of instruments over the years. I did like his descriptions of instruments.
    This kid once told me Bob Dylan was too wordy... imagine if that kid ever heard Stan describe an instrument. It was a gift.

I wish he was still around, too.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    This photo was posted up not so long ago in another discussion on the Artist model. The mandolin has the same dot markers, but not the binding, it had the enclosed Kluson tuners- under the large cover, the celluloid tailpiece and I think it has the bracket for the guard and the same style f holes. The owner mentioned the back and sides were laminated- it also has the same headstock logo and motif and he said it sounded great, as well! In fact, all those features- and I know this one has different tuners are not often, it seems, found together.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	203862

Enclosed Kluson tuners- under the large cover, one cover removed.

I've got that model SOL, the one I've got does not have the pickguard bracket or binding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221016_165841 (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	442.7 KB 
ID:	203879  

21. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

$181.00 (plus actual shipping, he added that) with about 5 hours left.

See! Somebody likes those customizations.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post: