Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Range Strad 1940s

Default Mid-Range Strad 1940s

This instrument looks okay and is some way up the ladder. Unfortunately, the bridge is not positioned correctly so the string height is not where it might be and two strings are missing. Pretty much a "one owner" mandolin left dormant that needs awakening after a bit of TLC that could stretch to a pickguard!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14477546373...Bk9SR-Ko77D_YA

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default Re: Mid-Range Strad 1940s

It's going to be tough to match the pickguard to that tailpiece. WD in Ft. Myers, Fl. might be able to come close with a reproduction pickguard. Think they charge around $50 for one though that may have gone up (like almost everything). Might just wanna play it as is (without a pickguard).

The missing rhinestones you can get from any old piece of cheap costume jewelry.

The Horse! Is that Trigger!!!

The horse might be Champion but it could well be Trigger but I don' think it is Mister Ed!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

It looks pretty rough, and they want $100 for shipping - so already at $149. I hadn't noticed those rhinestones, is that some kind of add on? I didn't realize that blob on the headstock was a horse until you pointed it out, Mike. A horse is a horse, of course, of course ...
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-21-2022 at 1:01pm.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

7. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Hey, a horsie and diamonds! This should excite all Stradfans. Even me. Looks good, but I’m thinking that whatever storage condition that blew the finish off right down to bare wood may also have compromised the braces and alignments, the neck being a concern. The pickguard would be the easiest issue. The back looks like ply or veneer, which might make a translucent refinish impossible; otherwise a candidate whose value isn’t a factor.

9. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Ha ha, I'm not that excited. I liked the 2 point Orpheum better.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Y'all makein' me smile!

You are going to want to wear a suit by Nudie Cohn (Nudie's Rodeo Tailors, Hollywood, Calif.) when playing that SOL.

The Official Nudie's Rodeo Tailors Website http://www.nudiesrodeotailor.com

Sue, You just need the right outfit to go with it. lol

When I saw that this morning I said to myself "Wouldn't it be a hoot if those were really diamonds?"
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Sue, You just need the right outfit to go with it. lol
    A bit too ostentatious for me, Mike

Sue might be working on an outfit like we saw with the Maddox Brothers & Rose threadfest! You sometimes see finish problems like that on Kay guitars and I think it is a problem with the finish application- it looks to be crazed on a galactic scale! Mind you, it is always good to be cautious when evaluating an instrument.

16. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    A bit too ostentatious for me, Mike
    Too ostentatious for most of us, but somebody out there is "Old School Country" enough, to pull it off (It does have one bid).

Nick, Maddox Brothers & Rose definitely wore suits by Nudie Cohn of Nudie's Rodeo Tailors. For more than four decades, Nudie's client list spanned from early country icons Hank Williams, Roy Rogers, Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash, to John Lennon, Elton John, Cher, Gram Parsons and, most famously, Elvis Presley’s $10,000 gold lamé suit.

Mike
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-21-2022 at 2:58pm.

18. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    ...I’m thinking that whatever storage condition that blew the finish off right down to bare wood may also have compromised the braces and alignments, the neck being a concern.
    In my experience, unfortunately, this type of finish flaking is caused by serious flooding or at least enough flooding that the plush lining of a case got soaked and the wet material was was allowed to be in contact with the instrument for some time unnoticed. I had this happen to an electric guitar at a practice space which flooded while we were away, due to a burst water heater. In the cast of an electric guitar, once it dried out, the damaged was only cosmetic -- looked ugly, but no functional issues. In the situation of an acoustic instrument, I would be concerned that bracing may have become unglued or weakened.

The most infamous example of this being the Nashville flood of 2010 that flooded a nearby warehouse that many professionals used to store their touring gear. Lots of vintage guitars were ruined or damaged in this flood where the guitars were allowed to sit in a foot or more of water. These guitars still show up on eBay from time to time with no mention of the flood, of course. Some are quite obvious, such a natural finish instrument showing a distinct line where the water rose to. Some were stored upright, so the bottom third or so, showed damage to an otherwise nice condition instrument.

Also, many instruments were ruined in the Katrina hurricane in New Orleans. A guy I played music with had a Fender bass that was under water, still worked once dried, but lost almost all of its finish, believe it or not.

20. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Will respectfully disagree on this one having water damage. The seam between the back and sides looks pretty tight to me.

But more importantly, the body has the classic crazing of an instrument that has gone from cold to warm temperatures too quickly. Have seen this happen on quite a few instruments over the years.

Two other things - that appears to be real binding on the top, and the tuners appear to have the very short shafts like my current SOL originally had. They work, but make it more of a pain to change strings.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

...and the tuners appear to have the very short shafts like my current SOL originally had.
    With regard to the string posts on the tuners, I always assumed they bought a load of the tuning machines that were made for one of the mandolin banjos. I can't recall which brand but they looked like normal tuners except they had short string posts to accommodate the banjo they were on. Some supplier probably closed them out and whomever was building these scooped them up. They are a pain. They have showed up now again over the years.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

As the mandolin probably has a laminated back, I would expect any water damage to show as delamination but as mentioned above the seam also appears to be tight. That tailpiece cover is a nice "get out of jail free" card.

26. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

The bottom, in one photo, does look separated, which might be an advantage if the interior needed some glue and it had to come off.
    However, to continue the theme of what improves an instrument with use, perhaps extreme thermal or humidity cycling can [I]improve[I] such a sophisticated construction. Years ago, I remember that the purfling weakening the periphery of a violin was necessary to allow the top to flex better. Think?

About wet: in experimenting with correcting top warps with water and clamps, I’ve encountered insta-mold, especially visible on black paper linings. Not wanting to use Clorox, used some Lysol. Anyone got a sensible, non-corrosive mold cure?

It looks pretty rough, and they want $100 for shipping - so already at $149.
    On Oct-21-22 at 14:43:51 PDT, seller added the following information: Sorry about the shipping costs. I have found the perfect box that measures 24” x 13” x 10” and weighs 3 Lbs. 14 oz. you should be able to calculate the cheapest shipping from this. I will send least expensive way and refund any difference.

I hadn't noticed those rhinestones, is that some kind of add on?
    Yes, American Primitive Art. More common in the 1930's through 1950's. I've seen several instruments like this. At first it pissed me off. Then I saw many Country Pickers with homemade "customizations". Now, It makes me smile. I've mellowed, even learned to appreciate Country.

I didn't realize that blob on the headstock was a horse until you pointed it out, Mike.
    A horse is a horse, of course, of course ...
    And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.
    You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this.

I am Mister Ed.

29. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Concerning "water damage" perhaps 50 plus years after the fact, at best, we are just armchair detectives based on our experience and interests. AT ANY RATE, we can probably all agree that huge areas of flaked off finish look ugly. The pronounced crazing of the finish I find much less offensive and somewhat par for the course concerning vintage instruments.

Better proof of water damage would be the original case, which was discarded at some point. The seller states his mother kept it in its case until recently when it was replaced with a (modern) Guardian case. (not included, but he will sell it separately if the buyer wants it...?) I'm thinking the original MAY have been replaced due to water damage showing. I can imagine a storage scenario whereas the mandolin was in a case sitting on its back, face up, and water rose to the sides, but not the top, accounting for the huge amount of flaking, but the case taking the brunt of the damage, allowing minimal structural damage and leaving the top finish intact. ANYWAY, it doesn't matter and was obviously enjoyed by the original owner for many years, considering the back of the neck wear. Sure, it's a beater, but a cool one!

Another Strad-O-Lin quirk I noticed is that while 80-90% of SOL's have the pickguard mounted with TWO top screws and no side bracket, this one has one top hole and one side bracket hole. (obviously, the pickguard is missing, as previously discussed) My question is what determines which SOL gets the two top edge pickguard screws and which get the more traditional bracket style of pickguard mounting. Price point? Or, perhaps a different manufacturer? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-22-2022 at 11:27am.

31. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    ... that appears to be real binding on the top ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ...Another Strad-O-Lin quirk I noticed is that while 80-90% of SOL's have the pickguard mounted with TWO top screws and no side bracket, this one has one top hole ande one side bracket hole. (obviously, the pickguard is missing, as previously discussed) My question is what determines which SOL gets the two top edge pickguard screws and which get the more traditional bracket style of pickguard mounting. Price point? Or, perhaps a different manufacturer? Does anyone know?
    Two points that make this a little more interesting.

33. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Another Strad-O-Lin quirk I noticed is that while 80-90% of SOL's have the pickguard mounted with TWO top screws and no side bracket, this one has one top hole and one side bracket hole. (obviously, the pickguard is missing, as previously discussed) My question is what determines which SOL gets the two top edge pickguard screws and which get the more traditional bracket style of pickguard mounting. Price point? Or, perhaps a different manufacturer? Does anyone know?
    I would guess and maybe be wrong (Stanley Jay told me experts never guess) thank god I'm no expert, but this has signs of a different manufacturer, though how did they get that neck heal so similar... those wide top binding only SOL's seem to have side pickguard holes... And missing or deteriorated pickguards.
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-22-2022 at 12:06pm.

35. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

This photo was posted up not so long ago in another discussion on the Artist model. The mandolin has the same dot markers, but not the binding, it had the enclosed Kluson tuners- under the large cover, the celluloid tailpiece and I think it has the bracket for the guard and the same style f holes. The owner mentioned the back and sides were laminated- it also has the same headstock logo and motif and he said it sounded great, as well! In fact, all those features- and I know this one has different tuners are not often, it seems, found together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	203862

“can imagine a storage scenario whereas the mandolin was in a case sitting on its back, face up, and water rose to the sides, but not the top, accounting for the huge amount of flaking, but the case taking the brunt of the damage, allowing minimal structural damage and leaving the top finish intact”

Different finishes on different substrates. Different effects. Likely varnish on top, ‘paint’ on the rest. I also like the cracking pattern on the top and wouldn’t touch it; but the rest would get stripped and painted. Decal and glass left as is. Or maybe update with cubic zirconia.

38. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

10 bids with three days to go. Is it the binding or the horse and jewelry?

My mando, with the enclosed Kluson tuners and the same headstock logo & motif, has two screws for mounting the pickguard.

40. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

This broken and overpriced Armstrong (on ebay) is similar. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224795705006? Notice the white line along the side of the fretboard, like the one in the original post. Also, both have heal caps.

I own one with a similar body binding, but this one is all solid, the headstock and neck is different. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rgain(-)-alert Thank you, Mike E. for posting those pictures (please see his pictures, third entry in that thread).
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-22-2022 at 5:00pm.

I like the case to the Armstrong better than the mandolin!

43. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post: