Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Tottle's book

Default Jack Tottle's book

I was surprised to see this is still in print!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/194817#194817

My first mandolin was a Harmony Monterrey, purchased from a friend for $50. He sold it because he was leaving town and liquidating possessions for lighter travel. He said "You can borrow this", handing me Bluegrass Mandolin by Jack Tottle, but noted, "I'm keeping it and leaving town tomorrow morning, so I'll need it back before I go". That night I shedded and shredded on the first few pages (advancing variations on Bile 'Em Cabbage) for about 6 hours and in the morning he collected the book as he hit the road.

I believe the "Bile 'Em" example was presented in the key of D, on the two strings right in the middle of the neck. I quickly sussed that the figure could be duplicated in G and in A, and eventually, in any key employing closed positions...the doors of discovery burst open and I was on my way!

Was just curious how many others got their start with Jack's book? I worked out of it in 1974...it still being in print makes me presume there must be 1000s sold through the years.
    too many strings

2. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

Default Re: Jack Tottle's book

Likewise, when his "Backroad Mandolin" LP came out, there was an enclosed sheet of instructional material for the tunes on the record and I was on that like a cheap suit! Thanks, Jack, for your help in getting me where I am today!
    too many strings

I also started with that book in 1974 with a borrowed mandolin, a cheapie. I remember learning Woody's Rag in about a half hour. There was a lot of stuff in that book, cross picking, fiddle tunes
    such as Sailor's hornpipe, a good foundation for a beginner. The author included some advanced pieces which I appreciated as a beginner. The big photo of the F 5 on the cover was an inspiration
    to strive for. Great beginning book!

Blog Entries

I bought the book just two years ago. Thanks for reminder that is a valuable learning tool.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    I was surprised to see this is still in print!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/194817#194817

My first mandolin was a Harmony Monterrey, purchased from a friend for $50. He sold it because he was leaving town and liquidating possessions for lighter travel. He said "You can borrow this", handing me Bluegrass Mandolin by Jack Tottle, but noted, "I'm keeping it and leaving town tomorrow morning, so I'll need it back before I go". That night I shedded and shredded on the first few pages (advancing variations on Bile 'Em Cabbage) for about 6 hours and in the morning he collected the book as he hit the road.

I believe the "Bile 'Em" example was presented in the key of D, on the two strings right in the middle of the neck. I quickly sussed that the figure could be duplicated in G and in A, and eventually, in any key employing closed positions...the doors of discovery burst open and I was on my way!

Was just curious how many others got their start with Jack's book? I worked out of it in 1974...it still being in print makes me presume there must be 1000s sold through the years.
    FWIW, I just checked and found this link is still active: https://www.braccio.me/tottle.html

7. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

I've still got my copy, about 40 years later - the soundsheet has gone missing though.

D.H.

By “sound sheet”, I assume you mena the awful, scratchy, floppy record you had to cut out of the back? I still have the book and the “floppy disc“, somewhere, although I suspect you can probably find its contents on line nowadays.

I still have mine from 40 plus year and the album Backroad Mandolin and tab its great stuff. You can find a digital version of the record online if you look.
    Go Vandals!

Ray(T) "By “sound sheet”, I assume you mean the awful, scratchy, floppy record you had to cut out of the back?"

Right - those things were rather terrible!

D.H.

12. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Ray(T) 

Got that book in about 1979 or '80. I learned from recordings and never from the tablature in that book. But I loved to look at the pictures. No Gibson F5s back then (that I knew of) in Germany. That F5 on the cover should be (ex) Joe Val's, no?

In the mid 70s a friend had a handmade F5 hanging on the wall and the book lying around. I played guitar at the time but the beautiful double stop version of Bile em cabbage down turned my world around…mandolin became my first love.

I got mine in 1975 or 6. The plastic disc never lasted long and the front cover is long gone.
    I'd wager that more players , not just bluegrass, learned off that book than any other single book over the years.
    An excellent source for any player from beginner to advanced.

Woody's Rag!
    Bren

I bought my Jack Tottle book in 1978, at the Jefferson Mall in Louisville, Ky. Still have it and the record, although the page binding has come loose. I learned several mandolin tunes out of it. The Wildwood Flower comes to mind, and Old Joe Clark :-) Great book!
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

I've got a copy of this book, and I took it out a few days ago before this thread got going. (I've had it almost since I picked up the mandolin. It had gotten geographically challenged in my house and I'd been looking for it.)

Flipping through it, I thought, wow, this is a pretty cool book. I also thought, wow, there's quite a few versions out there of some of these old songs
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Summers View Post
    I bought my Jack Tottle book in 1978, at the Jefferson Mall in Louisville, Ky. Still have it and the record, although the page binding has come loose. I learned several mandolin tunes out of it. The Wildwood Flower comes to mind, and Old Joe Clark :-) Great book!
    Staples or even a local copy/print shop may be able to spiral bind it for you. I've had it done for some of my other music books for about $8.

Bought it in college in 1978 or so, taught myself mandolin with it. At one point, after much painful brute force practice, I could play a passable, but sedate, version of the cross-picking Home Sweet Home. You can download the little black record's tunes here:
    https://www.braccio.me/tottle.html
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Ross For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Ok, ok. Sheesh. You’ve talked me into it. It’s available on Amazon. I’ll buy it and add it to my collection of mandolin methods.

I used Jack's book early on and it really helped me.

I learned mando from Tottle's book in late '70s, might not have learned *music playing* without it. I also got Backroad Mandolin & insert, and I have a Tasty Licks vinyl LP.

Therefore, he's a big hero of mine, and I consider him probably underrated. My only quibble with him is that, afaik, he's the only person I've seen review Jim & Jesse's astonishing album (https://www.discogs.com/release/6144...-Instrumentals), and his review of it was kind of lukewarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Ok, ok. Sheesh. You’ve talked me into it. It’s available on Amazon. I’ll buy it and add it to my collection of mandolin methods.
    I don't think you'll regret it.
    I still dip into mine 47 years later.
    It covers a satisfyingly wide range of simple to challenging material very well.
    Bren

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Ordered off Amazon. Due to arrive Saturday

Like Musicofanatic my first mandolin was a <$50 Harmony Monterrey I bought in a pawn shop and I plinked around on it and played Levon style mandolin until I bought the Jack Tottle book in 1974. That mandolin had action like a cheese grater and it was extremely difficult to play above the 4th fret. It wasn't until a later purchase of a better mandolin that I really started playing mandolin, and every once in a while I take out that book for nostalgia's sake. Still a good resource for a beginning mandolin player, despite the fact that there are many more resources available today than there were in the 60s and early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Ordered off Amazon. Due to arrive Saturday
    Damn! I wisht I hadn't'a posted this now...anytime that pig Jeff Bezos gets richer off of anything to do with me I experience guilt, regret and remorse and increased disdain for him. I usually look first at abebooks.com...they list it for $7.23...
    too many strings

I still have the copy I bought used in 2004, mostly for sentimental reasons.

Not sure abebooks and the big river aren't connected somehow, but I hear ya.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar