Thread: Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

Default Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

I’ve been on the lookout for Ye Vagabonds to come around for quite a while so am very happy to see that they are coming to a venue close to home. Additionally, I’m fairly amazed at the low cost of a ticket. At that price I feel obligated to buy a t shirt or something.
    So, having purchased my ticket online, I settled into a bit of YouTube . I really like their version of The Humours of Glynn. I think it’s a tune I ought to learn. Anyone know model and builders of their instruments— just curious.

Ed

Default Re: Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

I know they've a tenor guitar, guitar and mandolin made by Frank Tate, and here's an older thread about another mandolin they have, made by Kevin O'Brien:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Brien-mandolin

He recently made them a mandola as well. Coincidentally, I'm actually off out to see them in Westport this evening, should be a great gig!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thank you Jill
    I’m thinking the mandolin Diarmuid plays in the Humours of Glynn video is the Frank Tate. ? Beautiful instrument and sound.
    There aren’t a lot of mandolin duets out there (to my knowledge) and I’m going to consult The Session and my teacher for a solo version. Do you have a version? I’ll check your YouTube videos
    I’ll work my way through the thread you referenced
    How was the show?

Yes, in the Humours of Glynn video Diarmuid is playing the Frank Tate mandolin and Brían is playing the Kevin O'Brien one. The show was fantastic! That's the second time I've seen them this year - they played in Castlebar which is nearer to me, back in June: that one was the first gig I'd been to post-COVID lockdowns etc. and what a perfect way to start seeing live music again it was! Last night they had the addition of a double bass player which gave the songs/tunes a lovely low rumble. I don't play the Humours of Glynn meself but it's on my "to learn" list!

The final episode of Slí na mBeaglaoich (I highly recommend watching the entire series) visits Wexford and Wicklow and when in Wicklow Cormac and Breanndán visit Brían Mac Gloinn as he's living there at the moment - himself and Cormac play some hornpipes - Pól Ha'penny and Mrs. Galvin's, great stuff!

The segment with Brían starts at about 34:05

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/categor...l&pcode=630602
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I must say they're quite amusing, those Begleys.

Why is there a capo on the set Brian plays with Cormac. Is it tuned down or something?
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I must say they're quite amusing, those Begleys.

Why is there a capo on the set Brian plays with Cormac. Is it tuned down or something?
    I wonder might it be to do with whatever key Cormac's concertina is in - I saw him play live last month and he had an array of concertinas in front of him - from a tiny piccolo one to a big baritone one and others in a variety of keys.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

First I heard the US tour is happening! Very excited. Any Los Angeles folks here who are familiar with the venue? Trying to persuade the misses to do an overnight stay somewhere close. It'll be my first show in over 3 years.

I saw them in Edinburgh a week or so ago and they were great! Beautiful playing and very funny. You'll have a great night!

[QUOTE=Jill McAuley

The final episode of Slí na mBeaglaoich (I highly recommend watching the entire series) visits Wexford and Wicklow and when in Wicklow Cormac and Breanndán visit Brían Mac Gloinn as he's living there at the moment - himself and Cormac play some hornpipes - Pól Ha'penny and Mrs. Galvin's, great stuff!

The segment with Brían starts at about 34:05

Great Stuff, indeed! And I don’t even speak the language but the music and scenery are enough

When watching stuff on the TG4 Player there should be a wee square icon down in the lower right hand side of the screen that will allow you to get subtitles in english - just a heads up that it sometimes doesn't show up if you're using Safari as a browser, but works with Chrome.

There's another great music programme that has started on Sunday evenings on TG4, it airs in Ireland at 10:30pm, so should be available to watch back later on the player on the following day - the programme is "Ceolaireacht", hosted by Doireann Ní Ghlacáin, it's looking at whether there are recognisable regional styles of traditional music outside of the obvious ones that come to mind such as Sligo, Donegal, and Clare - first episode is in Dublin and it's full of great music:

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/categor...l&pcode=631713
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

It was a very entertaining show! Only 2 problems: the missus promptly laid claim to the t- shirt and now I want a tenor guitar

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed McGarrigle For This Useful Post: