Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Gibson Playability

Default Vintage Gibson Playability

I have a Gibson A4 from around 1912 that I’ve had quite a bit done to it. 12% Ratio added to the fretboard, new golden age tuners, Cumberland bridge. It sounds sweet and like a typical mandolin of that genre. My question is, even with all the upgrades, will it ever be as playable as a newer Northfield, Gibson, Weber, Eastman?
    Gibson A4 (1912) | Martin 000-18 (2021) | Martin D-18 (2019) | Taylor 324e (2013)

2. The following members say thank you to penguins0141 for this post:

Default Re: Vintage Gibson Playability

'Playable' is all in what you're used to. The frets are probably smaller and the neck/nut-width is probably wider than some of the mandolins you mentioned but regardless... the more you play it, the more playable it will be.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

It all depends on personal preferences, and what fit your hands. What fits one person might not be comfortable to another.

I'm one of those folks who prefers old Gibsons with ample necks over most of the modern instruments I've played. I do find that a modern set of frets makes the old Gibsons much friendlier to me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

I suspect that if you are used to an old A4, even with the modernizations you list, if you got your hands on a high-end Gibson or Northfield, you would swear someone had greased it
    too many strings

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I strongly suspect that I would prefer jumbo frets and a wide neck. I ALSO strongly suspect that I'll never be able to afford a wide neck Northfield Big Mon. So I play less expensive instruments, and more or less take what I get and like it.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

10. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

I have the small frets in my '22, it plays great with low action. I like the smaller frets and most of my newer instruments play great. My old Gibson plays as easy as the new ones. Setup, setup setup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    ...So I play less expensive instruments, and more or less take what I get and like it.
    A great feeling instrument can make you want to practice more, but great music can be created on all types and quality of instruments.

I think of the old blues players with Stellas, Silvertones, and other catalog type instruments making great music. Using these instruments was based on affordability, not necessarily by choice.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I've got 1915 Gibson F4, it plays perfectly and sounds great.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A great feeling instrument can make you want to practice more, but great music can be created on all types and quality of instruments.

I think of the old blues players with Stellas, Silvertones, and other catalog type instruments making great music. Using these instruments was based on affordability, not necessarily by choice.
    The ones that survived to make money and did not die of strychnine poisoning got better guitars when they could afford it.

I ALSO strongly suspect that I'll never be able to afford a wide neck Northfield Big Mon. So I play less expensive instruments, and more or less take what I get and like it.
    A lot of times people can afford something better but spend their money elsewhere. I know one lady who has 16 or 18 instruments, mostly mandolins and guitars, none of them particularly nice. A local college guitar professor told her he was a professional and had two. She could have bought two or three real nice , professional grade instruments for what she had wrapped up in the cheap ones.

18. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Blog Entries

Any instrument should be able to be set-up proper for it to sound the best it can! Trust me I started out as a very poor kid using not so good stuff but with fooling around, tweaking and learning for myself they all played and sounded pretty good. I've had high end stuff that stunk till it was set-up proper!

If you had the fingerboard radiused and new frets installed, it should play like butter now. The only real advantages of a newer ($$$$) instrument would be a slimmer neck and better tuners.

But the newer mando will definitely not have that vintage sound or your old Gibson. Enjoy your old mandolin in it's second life you've given it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

My Gibson A4 was made in 1917. The tone is the reason I play it. Nothing replaces the tone of an old Gibson. As for the neck, I have 7 mandolins, all with a different neck profile. That’s just part of the fun.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Connor For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Tone, playability, healthy structure, looks . . . that's what I watch for in any instrument. My technique, or lack thereof causes more disappointments than my instruments. I will admit to preferring post L.L. necks to the previous generations of widths though I still like a flat fingerboard. That is likely because it is what I am used to. Larger frets I can't say for sure about them as I have no instruments with them. I did play a Heiden that had larger frets and it was comfortable. But it was a Heiden owned and played by a pro. I would expect it to be comfortable. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

25. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I got to spend some time at Carter’s Wednesday and played most of the mandolins they had excepting the Loars; they were busy, I’ve played a few, and didn’t want to bug them to pull them out when I knew I wasn’t buying. Anyway, one that stood out to me was the white face A-3 they have now. Classic Gibson tone without being too tubby on the bass and held up pretty well up the neck as well. The flat FB didn’t really bother me, which surprised me a little, but the mean, tiny, original frets did bug me. It is very well set up and thus very playable as is, but it required more work to fret cleanly, and a little more attention to precise fretting finger placement. I’m sure those of you who are used to those frets would give me some some deserved ribbing were you there to play it with me, but I’m playing a Kelly A-5 with taller EVO frets and a Rigel CT-110 with larger frets as well, so that’s what I’m used to. I considered buying that mando, but I’d want to replace the frets and maybe add a slight radius, so I left it hanging. If that’s what you’re into, though, it’s a very nice instrument priced more reasonably given the overspray on the back/sides/neck…
    Chuck

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I got to spend some time at Carter’s Wednesday and played most of the mandolins they had excepting the Loars; they were busy, I’ve played a few, and didn’t want to bug them to pull them out when I knew I wasn’t buying. Anyway, one that stood out to me was the white face A-3 they have now. Classic Gibson tone without being too tubby on the bass and held up pretty well up the neck as well. The flat FB didn’t really bother me, which surprised me a little, but the mean, tiny, original frets did bug me. It is very well set up and thus very playable as is, but it required more work to fret cleanly, and a little more attention to precise fretting finger placement. I’m sure those of you who are used to those frets would give me some some deserved ribbing were you there to play it with me, but I’m playing a Kelly A-5 with taller EVO frets and a Rigel CT-110 with larger frets as well, so that’s what I’m used to. I considered buying that mando, but I’d want to replace the frets and maybe add a slight radius, so I left it hanging. If that’s what you’re into, though, it’s a very nice instrument priced more reasonably given the overspray on the back/sides/neck…
    Nice on the Amana-white top A-3. I looked at that one online but don't really remember what year, but I think it was a 22 with a TRod right? So those Loar years would be why that one isn't tubby as many from pre-20 that I've pawed at in person are too tubby for my personal preference! And I'd bet if I did bet, the neck would be a bit comfier than the earlier ones as well. I always wanted an A-3 white top but the last one I tried to get "after 25 some odd years-the guy robbed me of my $"! So, I got a bad taste in my mouth for a white top A-3 "for now anyways-LoL"! Oh well, I prayed for him to see the light. I guess getting robbed eventually happens when ya wheel and deal all the time! Some people are just, well evil!

1916 A0. The neck size doesn't bother me, but the small frets get on my nerves sometimes. But the sound is why I got it and kept it. (Maybe a refret would be an improvement, but I'm kind of a cheapskate.)

D.H.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibsonmando.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	203881

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Playability (to me) means set up. A great sounding or a poor sounding mandolin can, within certain structural limitations - eg., a warped neck, neck thickness and profile), be very playable. A comfortable action, properly adjusted bridge and nut, well maintained tuners are key for that. String height, different gauges of strings, string material type and pick material type and thickness, are a bit o expanded playability considerations.

As others mention, neck shape, for me, is an important thing. For my particular hand size, I like a thinner mor V shape. I didn't love the Weber or Breedlove shapes, thickness. However, neither caused me cramping or pain so I may adjust to them, right?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_7924.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	203882

Thanks everyone for the responses. Here's my baby. I love this thing.
    Gibson A4 (1912) | Martin 000-18 (2021) | Martin D-18 (2019) | Taylor 324e (2013)

34. The following members say thank you to penguins0141 for this post:

I am a big fan of standard vintage teens and twenties Gibson oval features: short neck, flat fretboard and small frets. My first Gibson was a 1919 white face A-3. My current for decades is my ‘23 A-2 snakehead. I also have three excellent modern mandolins love them for their feature as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    'Playable' is all in what you're used to. The frets are probably smaller and the neck/nut-width is probably wider than some of the mandolins you mentioned but regardless... the more you play it, the more playable it will be.
    I would agree with Flatrock's assessment. My Lyon & Healy definitely feels different than my two more "modern" mandolins. It feels different because of the string spacing. For me, it just took time to get completely familiar with the L&H "sense of playability". In fact, even now, when I switch mandolins I need a day or so to get comfortable with the new "feel". So, to me, it's a question of spending enough time on any mandolin to feel "in the groove" with it. Just my neophyte's 2 cents :-).

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

In 1980, I was working in a shop in the Kalamazoo area and was able to get a reject F4 top out of their bargain basement. Somebody had nicked the top with a bandsaw in the area that's under the tailpiece. So the top is now at least 40 years old. Not wanting bind another scroll, it went into a hybrid A model. I did stick with the fat, round neck as per a blueprint I had. I also had read a lot about older A's here and decided against the transverse brace and opted instead for a shallow X brace. It still has a tubby voice but not quite the "thunk" on the low notes of the originals. For the body I used flatsawn soft maple instead of birch.

Initially I went with the skinny frets which had a really nice tinkly tone, but it wasn't many years before I had some serious notches going. I refretted with EVO medium 0.080" bead which my other mandos have. Of course, EVO has since started producing gold in the old narrow gauge. The original varnish finish also was taking a beating from pinky planting and general wear, so I made the little fingerrest and over coated the finish with a catalyzed finish which has made it a quite loud mando. Peter Ostrusko was a real inspiration for me when I started this instrument.

Name:	OvalA.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	203907

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post

Whilst I dig early, rural blues for its primitive nature, it is not difficult to hear that guys like Yank Rachell are working with rough-playing, un-tunable, cheap, poorly set up instruments. For my ears, I find I can only listen to that kind of thing for so long. Would they sound "right" on an in-tune, smooth sounding modern instrument? Dunno...
    too many strings

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Vintage Gibson Playability

I'm fine with my 2 Gibson A's, from '22.

just the opportunity to play with others has gone away...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

44. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice guys! Love the old Gibbys "when set up proper and not too tubby on the low end" I miss my late 24 A-4 with Virzi, it had the tone-voice I love in an old A as the Virzi seemed to tighten the top. Yes, Virzi fan here I fit a new full contact bridge as that was all it needed as the one it came with was fit terrible "top dented in where both sides of the feet were, saddle slots were sloppy, and it was leaning forward". Neck was great angle, frets fine as well as nut.

Who here has tried an aluminum saddle or bone inserts on the bass side or full bone saddle on their old A to brighten up the tubbiness, that is if they didn't like the tubbiness some of them have.

I think enough folks have already said - if it sounds good - it is good.
    I have an (1914?) A that I strung with light strings as it felt too delicate for mediums. So it is on the quiet side, but has a very Bird song like quality to it's tone, and is very easy to play. I put mediums on my 20 F4, and it does have a little of the "tubbiness" but it is also very easy to play (very wide neck and non adjustable bridge with great action) and to me sounds like it should.
    I have brought it to a few jams and open mics and it holds its own just fine, I tend to leave it home these days as it feels like its getting a little frail (not bad for 102 years old).
    Will those old Gibsons sound and play like a Sam Bush "Hoss" or a Grisman "Crusher" or a Reischman Loar? Probably not, but I keep them around cause they bring me joy.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"