Thread: Joel Murtinger?

Default Joel Murtinger?

Hello everyone,

I just began my journey with the mandolin yesterday (less than 24 hours ago, in fact) and purchased a used one locally on Facebook Marketplace. The gentleman advised that he won it at an estate sale and believed it was custom built in North Carolina but couldn’t provide me any additional details. I like the way it looks and (as far as I know) I got a fair deal. I’d really just like to know more about its history if possible.

Anyone have any knowledge of Joel Murtinger mandolins?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDFF7EA4-4383-441B-8CF5-055B314509A2.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	203868

Name:	E7544B65-D324-48AC-8B76-1FDF571A9F09.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	203869

Name:	A8FE6324-FF22-403C-BC33-014F87AA2ADB.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	203870
    Last edited by PatWard; Oct-23-2022 at 1:11pm.

Default Re: Joel Murtinger?

I know nothing of the builder, but that is an interesting and unique cutaway design. I'd be interested in ho w it sounds and plays.

I was also drawn to the cutaway shape. I’m assuming the luthier is/was operating a relatively small custom shop so there may just not be any info out there at all. As far as the sound, I personally think it sounds pretty decent, but I would have to find a buddy to really wring it out and give me an accurate assessment because up until yesterday I don’t even think I’ve even held a mandolin.

What is the back made of? The exterior view makes it look like spruce, to my eye. That would be an unusual choice for the back. I wonder what it sounds like.

I thought the same thing, but I’m assuming it’s maple?

A number of unusual features, even from a few photos. Looks like bolt-on neck, a brace transecting the sound hole, and that shape. The label looks so offhand that it might even be a customer’s name, not the builder. As mentioned, find a player who can, at a minimum, see if its set up decently, and who also might evaluate how it sounds.

The back looks a bit like rift sawn beech to my eye. ? Looks cool. I always enjoy seeing unusual mando designs.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    The back looks a bit like rift sawn beech to my eye. ? Looks cool. I always enjoy seeing unusual mando designs.
    You may be right. I haven’t been able to locate any examples of maple that fit the bill.

I reached out to a Joel Murtinger on Facebook (the only one I could find) and he had no knowledge of it. So, dead end there.

I plan on taking it to the local pickin’ parlor sometime this week and see what they think. I’m okay with it not being the best example/sounding mando since I just plan to learn the ropes on it and hopefully upgrade. I suppose I’m just wondering if it’s something to hold into indefinitely and let the kids knock around when I’m done with it.