Thread: Binding- searched forum

Default Binding- searched forum

Does the binding add any structural strength, or is it merely dressing up a mandolin? I tried to search the forum for an answer, but i guess I'm just not smart enough. I like the look of a basic instrument, all wood no binding. The Kentucky KM-606 looks appealing to me. I know it is not a high end mandolin, but I think i could afford one. I have a Kentucky KM 276 the plays very well, but i would like to have an F-style also. Thank you, joe

Default Re: Binding- searched forum

Binding is not considered structural. Well fit, well glued wood binding might contribute a little to strength, but that is not the purpose, and strength must be part of the design and execution of building the body rather than a "patch job" of gluing on binding.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Blog Entries

As said well above, not structural, but...

Binding does protect edges of the instrument, and although the original reason for having it may have been more catering to eye appeal, there is some level of functionality. In most cases, it is much easier to replace dinged-up binding than it is to replace a neck, side, top or back of an instrument.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

5. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Binding is there to cover up the end grain and other transitions around the top and back. The end grain and changes from side to end grain and back look squirrelly and absorb stain differently. It may help a little in controlling exchanges with humidity as the end grain absorbs more than the side grain but that is probably minimal.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

I have noticed, however, that some builders tend to do a rather sloppy job of joining the top and the ribs, then cut away and cover with binding. Not the way to do it, in my opinion.

Some really nice instruments have been made without bindings (Weber Gallatin, Phoenix Neoclassical, for example) and hold up nicely. I prefer to see nice joinery between the top and ribs, as was done on those instruments. That's my opinion, however, and others' opinions are equally valid.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Good answers here already. Even though it looks fancy, to me the protection factor is more important, especially for the spruce top. It seems like the edges ended up take abuse when instruments get batted about and spruce is a very soft wood.

Binding and purfling entail a lot of extra labor with a colored finish. This is why it gets left off some of the lower tier instruments of the big builders.

11. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Binding is there to absorb the blows incurred by clumsy oafs like me who knock the edge of their instruments into practically everything. If I had one of those Campenella mandolins, the edges would be all chewed up looking within a week of owning it!
    too many strings

13. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post: