Thread: A Special Guest at the Blue Note

Default A Special Guest at the Blue Note

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Special Guest at the Blue Note

Chris never fails to amaze!!! I don't think I've ever heard him in a mando/piano jazz format (well...Beatles and Dylan jazz). Thanks RobH

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Holy Hell…Imma be in NYC for a very brief weekend trip starting late Friday. If any of y’all have some inside info, please , pm me…
    Chuck

Check out his album with Brad Meldau…sublime for the most part, with a little bit of Monk thrown in…
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

webber 

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

Great videos!
    I saw Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau perform together a couple of weeks ago at the inauguration of the newly renovated David Geffen Concert Hall at Lincoln Center here in NYC. The two were fantastic and the acoustics were sublime. Chris stepped away from the mike and played a couple of songs unamplified and you could hear every note from his Loar. He took shoutout requests for fiddle tunes, they played songs from their album, and Brad Mehldau played a few on his own including an extended version of Hey Joe, one of my favorites. Truly amazing. Chris Thile and Nickel Creek are at the Geffen in early December.

Music is music. If you can feel it, find it, then you can play it.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Check out his album with Brad Meldau…sublime for the most part, with a little bit of Monk thrown in…
    THis is a very good album for the most part. GREAT version of G Welch's "Scarlet Town."

How can civilization possibly evolve any further than this?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, for starters, the general public could come to understand that the mandolin is a unique and wonderful instrument, no longer mistaken for a guitar, a ukulele, or a banjo. The public could also embrace the fact that the mandolin is quite adept in genres other than bluegrass and country, and is much more than a novelty instrument or "color" instrument in others' recordings. A mandolinist could reach the top of the charts with his/her mandolin-driven music. Heck, several or many could do so. The mandolin could become accepted as a versatile instrument in its own right, on its own, without need for backing instrumentation.

Indeed, there is plenty of headroom for cultural evolution where the mandolin is concerned.

Hmmm ... was that just a rhetorical question? Well, yes, there is a whole lot of wonderful, highly evolved mandolinning here.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!