Thread: he's at it again

Default he's at it again

what I dig about Aaron's playing and teaching is he puts so many possibilities on display, both musically and mandolinistically. For instance:

there's more than one way to play any given chord

there's nothing that says you have to play a chord all the time, you might include a contrapuntal sort of melodic line, or a "bass" line

Similarly, there's any number of ways to play or illustrate the chord changes of a tune
    beyond strumming chords on beats using just the chords you see in a fakebook or that your friend told you. Sure, changes can be boiled down to "basic", "vanilla", "correct", "functional" or "sheet music" changes, but things can be added such as connecting chords, color tones, tensions/alterations, even tonalities not found in the original that yield a different "route" from point A to point B

Lots of possibilities. I hope everyone is digging his latest offering, "The Very Thought of You". You don't have to like jazz, the approach, concepts, and vocabulary can be applied to whatever your thing is. In the end it's all music and where to find things on the fretboard of our greatest instrument in the world.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: he's at it again

As I only dabble in jazz, I do like to shade the melody with various chord voicings even in old time music, or especially old time music in a small setting. You can roll the harmonic shape of the tune into something new and old all at once. Aaron's fingers are like spiders on that fingerboard and that eggs me on to try something new even if I don't do it within a jazz concept.

As a student - and I'd like to think friend as well - of Aaron's, I agree with your view of his playing.

His approach is inspiring. It even gets me to practice more!

I love his playing, although my fingers hurt just watching
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Can somebody who can see the embedded video (if there is one) post the link to it? My Safari browser totally ignored it if it is there.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Here you go, Hank.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan Kellstadt For This Useful Post:

All that beautiful music AND a bow tie, too!

11. The following members say thank you to LKN2MYIS for this post:

Blog Entries

Receiving such generous words from my teacher means so much to me! Thank you, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWeinstein View Post
    Receiving such generous words from my teacher means so much to me! Thank you, Don!
    Despite what I say behind your back, you're a good man, Aaron Weinstein!

What does “don’t have to like jazz” mean?

I was just trying to point out that the mandolin techniques and musical concepts Aaron shares can be applied to any style or genre, not just jazz...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stiernberg View Post
    I was just trying to point out that the mandolin techniques and musical concepts Aaron shares can be applied to any style or genre, not just jazz...
    And I was trying to be funny, and I’m no Jethro, but how can anyone listen to Aaron and not like jazz?

But I get that the techniques transfer to bluegrass and understanding them would definitely be beneficial to anyone trying to play creatively in any style.

18. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post: