Thread: Mid Missouri mandolin construction M-0

Default Mid Missouri mandolin construction M-0

Hello,

Hoping someone can weigh in here. I am trying to figure out what kind of wood was used on this Mid Missouri M-0? I am guessing it is mahogany? I had the chance to mess around with a Mahogany Oval Hole last week that was WAY out of my price range. I can get this one for a pretty fair price, but I have to buy it sight unseen.

Hoping it is close to what I heard on the expensive one. I am assuming the wood is a significant factor.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM1e0.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	203931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	203932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	203933

Default Re: Mid Missouri mandolin construction M-0

Looks like mahogany back and sides alright - was the expensive oval hole you tried out also a flat top instrument or a carved top one? That will influence the sound too.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

That does look like Mahogany, and I'm pretty sure that is what they made the M-0 out of. Their entry instrument is now MW-0, which is walnut back/sides.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I agree that it is mahogany or close relative. But on the mndolin itself I would add that, yes, a flat top is different than an arch top. Sound is quicker and in many respects the same comparison can be made between and arch top guitar and a flat top The Mid Mo (now Big Muddy) is a very simply made mandolin but simple does not in any way imply less than. They are great mandolins. I have had several and have found them to be consistantly great mandolins. Mike Dulak, the owner and builder, is one who is great to deal with and is above all things, a "straight shooter". Call him and ask. He will respond and tell you straight. But you can't go wrong on the mandolin. It is a good one and will always be a good one. You might want something different but this little mandolin will always live up to anything you want to play on it. I own and have owned many many mandolins all levels and price ranges. But I have also always kept a Big Muddy. Everytime I pick it up I think of the "elegance of simplicity".

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.C. Bryant For This Useful Post:

Jill,
    The $$ Flat top as well,. Wish I remembered what it was. I know it was about 50 years old, and felt extremely delicate.

I know it will not be a match, but I am hoping they are in the ball park. I am only a month in, so I am hardly one to judge, but when my son said he would not mind learning, I took it as a sign from above.

This is not about be getting another mandolin when I can't even play the first one yet.

Thanks to everyone else. I will be pulling the trigger. It appears to me that it was made in the last year or so of Mid Mo's run. It appears that Big Muddy went to a different build on the MW-0. Regardless of what it's made of, I am pretty excited.

Another agreement with mahogany. And yes, those Big Muddy (or Mid-Missouri) instruments are good. Have one around here as well as a couple other flat-tops.

Definitely worth picking up.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Not too long ago I played an Eastman MD-404. That's an A-body, oval hole, spruce top, and mahogany back & sides. Available for ~$750.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Congrats on the new mandolin! I've heard nothing but good things about Big Muddy.

I'd also like to ask to yall that have owned one: how different do these big muddies sound than a pancake style flat top a la Flatiron?

Quote Originally Posted by CJD257 View Post
    Jill,
    The $$ Flat top as well,. Wish I remembered what it was. I know it was about 50 years old, and felt extremely delicate.

I know it will not be a match, but I am hoping they are in the ball park. I am only a month in, so I am hardly one to judge, but when my son said he would not mind learning, I took it as a sign from above.

This is not about be getting another mandolin when I can't even play the first one yet.

Thanks to everyone else. I will be pulling the trigger. It appears to me that it was made in the last year or so of Mid Mo's run. It appears that Big Muddy went to a different build on the MW-0. Regardless of what it's made of, I am pretty excited.
    Good to know, they should be closer in similarity then - Mid-Mo's are great mandolins, I had a Mid-Mo mandola and it was well made and sounded great. Congratulations on your new mandolin!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

And they're made in America.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Here's a couple reviews from Jake Wildwood, a 2004 M-2 and my 1999 M-15

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...uddy-m-15.html

You won't be sorry
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    That does look like Mahogany, and I'm pretty sure that is what they made the M-0 out of. Their entry instrument is now MW-0, which is walnut back/sides.
    I also meant to add that I own an MW-0 (in walnut), as well as as M1 special with Oregon myrtlewood back and sides. They are very nice instruments. Also, my very first mandolin was a mahogany Tacoma instrument - what a great smell the mahogany has!

Best of luck
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    I'd also like to ask to yall that have owned one: how different do these big muddies sound than a pancake style flat top a la Flatiron?
    My first mandolin was a Mid-Missouri M0, and it was a well-constructed, comfortably playable, and good sounding instrument. I liked it so much that I quickly bought another tulip-shaped flattop in the Gypsy Vagabond as well as two pancakes: a Flatiron 1N and a Redline Traveler. I did find them different sonically, with my subjective preference leaning to the pancakes, in particular the Flatiron which was a real screamer. However, I also favored the more modern playability features of the Redline (adjustable truss rod, adjustable bridge, radiused board, etc.), so I ultimately commissioned a custom Scout from Andy Poe to sound old while playing new. It was an investment which cost me new what I sold three of them combined for used, but I haven’t been seriously tempted by a flattop since.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

16. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    My first mandolin was a Mid-Missouri M0, and it was a well-constructed, comfortably playable, and good sounding instrument. I liked it so much that I quickly bought another tulip-shaped flattop in the Gypsy Vagabond as well as two pancakes: a Flatiron 1N and a Redline Traveler. I did find them different sonically, with my subjective preference leaning to the pancakes, in particular the Flatiron which was a real screamer. However, I also favored the more modern playability features of the Redline (adjustable truss rod, adjustable bridge, radiused board, etc.), so I ultimately commissioned a custom Scout from Andy Poe to sound old while playing new. It was an investment which cost me new what I sold three of them combined for used, but I haven’t been seriously tempted by a flattop since.
    Sounds like it was a gateway mandolin. Nancy Reagan was right. Just say NO

Would you just say no to this? Me neither.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4111F9D4-CD20-4B05-8545-7AF390721F4C.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	203948
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

FOM-0

(fear of M-0)

Oh, I advocate others saying no. Me, no so much. That looks fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

or FOM-MO fear of missing

22. The following members say thank you to CJD257 for this post:

This must be the origin of the truism that one's fifth mandolin will cost as much as the first four combined
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    This must be the origin of the truism that one's fifth mandolin will cost as much as the first four combined
    Actually, the origin was my Gibson snakehead. Was the old F2 your fifth mandolin, Sue?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Actually, the origin was my Gibson snakehead. Was the old F2 your fifth mandolin, Sue?
    #7 - unless a banjo mandolin and the Octofone don't count, then it would be #5

The Mid Mo was #4 (just to (loosely) tie back to the original topic )

27. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I thought I would post a quick follow up. Now I am 6 weeks in to this, so take it all with a lick of salt.

WOW. This this just feels great. It seems like I can connect with the string way cleaner on the frets then I can with the Kentucky KM -200s. The Mid MO is 1/16 wider, but I can actually feel a difference. Does not make much sense to me. I have no real musical experience, so I can't chalk it up to familiarity.

The sound is very different. It really seems to connect well with the John Prine songs I am butchering. It is surprisingly smaller than I expected. The case came with bubble wrap to fill in the empty space. i will stuff the bottom with something to keep it snug.

The condition is A plus, looks like it was never struck in anger, and while light and small, it just feels sturdy. Really could not be more pleased. I did notice it seems to be more impacted by touching my ample belly when playing, and the tone guard I have does not fit. I have some research to do there.

I could not be happier, and I have a feeling I might gravitate towards this one and away from the Kentucky.

Thanks to all for the coaching on this.

29. The following members say thank you to CJD257 for this post: