Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Default Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

I was going to counter as well, with all the violinists that want their soundpost adjusted every time the barometric pressure changes etc., separate bridges and posts for winter and summer, neck angles, tailpiece weights etc. If you go on violin forums like this one, you'll find that the discussions of technical minutiae exceed those here!

2. The following members say thank you to Mainer73 for this post:

Just to say how much I'm enjoying learning the fiddle. And learning something new. My 25-year old step son (who plays guitar) decided he wanted to learn with me so I leant him my old fiddle and we are learning a new tune a week, he comes over and we fiddle it together while my wife plays rhythm guitar. Much fun. Tonight at my regular jam I'll try Over the Waterfall and Shove that pig's foot. Sticking with easier standards for now.
    Cary Fagan

Blog Entries

There should be another 'Thread' for 'good reads and podcasts'. (I'm going to check these out however).

It is true that many violinists have little knowledge of the instrument that they play. A small adjustment or new strings may make a big difference. And then there are others that tweak the instrument at any variance in sound quality and spend huge amounts of money to get that sound.

I've come to a middle ground about the topic which asks, "are you getting the most enjoyment from playing the instrument?" and 'match the quality of the instrument to the skill level of the player'. The second is always a disappointment. An instrument should be a tool used to create music. And music should be the most important 'thing'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

While we're at it (and not wanting to start another fiddle thread on the cafe) anyone know any good novels about fiddlers? I've read Paulette Gilles' 'simon the fiddler' and Gregory Spatz's novel. Any others?
    Cary Fagan

Cary: knowing your background, you should write one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, well, I've written a long (70 page) story, part of a new manuscript of four long stories, that has three brothers--a fiddler, banjo player, guitar player, coming over the border into Saskatchewan to escape the man who's after them. A period piece, rather comic, a bit of Larry McMurtry in there.. My agent is just sending the whole ms to my publisher. I often have a strong (usually accurate) feeling about these things but this time I really don't know what they'll think.

There must be some more novels by my betters out there... I didn't love 'simon the fiddler'--not nearly as good (as most reviews agreed) as 'News of the World.'

How about poetry, Jim? Written any?
    Last edited by Cary Fagan; Nov-23-2022 at 4:24pm.
    Cary Fagan

My poetry is on sabbatical these days, spending more time playing fiddle, old time and Québécois. I am head of a poetry organization around these parts and after last Sunday’s reading might get back to writing. Maybe I should write some poems about fiddling. Hmmmm…

I used to be friends with David Gates who has a few books of fiction under his belt and who was and probably still is an excellent banjo and fiddle player. I don’t recall any of his work featuring fiddlers as the main protagonists but I think there were mentions possibly of minor characters.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Well, no poems, stories, or novels come immediately to mind, but I can't let a showing of The Red Violin go by without catching a few minutes of some portion of it.